Thread: L83 swapped c10

Potential Tuner

L83 swapped c10

I was wondering what would be the best way to approach my situation. I swapped a 2018 l83/A8 into a c10 and the customer wanting more power went to another shop and they swapped the ecu to a l86/A8 and he is complaining that the truck doesn't run correctly. My tuner says it would be complicated to try and change all the tables over to the l83 specs. What would be the best option? I do have access to gm's sps software if needed. Thanks

You need to run the proper l83 ecu with matching transmission. Next it’s critical to run the proper size air intake tube on these. Once this is done it will run like a champ

Potential Tuner
    So can i rewrite the ecu with the proper information or try and find a ecu spec'd to the setup. It was running great with the original ecu that came with the donor engine and tuned by my regular tuner, but the owner changed out after another shop claimed they can make more power with a different ecu.

Make the owner deal with this with the new shop. Your customer sounds like a bit of a flake that doesn't know what he wants and he will trash your reputation if you let him.

You gave him a well running vehicle.

Rick
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.

Potential Tuner
    True, and i get it trust me. I even asked him why he didn't bring it back to us if he felt it wasn't taking off hard enough. He asked for a conservative tune because it was just a "cruiser," but since we built 2 trucks for him and the other truck was a 6l80. With gears and caltracks, it takes off way harder. He brought it back for us to caltrack/gear/and posi the truck and when he dropped off he mentioned the driveability issue. Only after my tuner came and tried to check his file did we find out that it was a totally different computer.

Did your genius customer collect his original ECM from the "other" shop, when he picked up the vehicle ?

If you check Speartech's website, you will find that they charge $750 for a replacement E92 / E92A ECM with project specific programming.

Time for your ADHD customer to get his wallet out.

Potential Tuner
    Negative, and yea he is aware that now he has to spend more money, I'm just trying to figure out what's the best route to go with. For less of a headache.