Thread: Idle questions

Tuner

Idle questions

Hello. I?m new here. Not exactly a tuner yet. I?m a GM master tech and recently rebuilt my 14 L83 and installed a cam (LSXCELERATION stage 2.1). Rebuilt engine with new GM parts minus the cam, springs, pushrods and rocker trunions. Had my truck tuned by a friend that?s well known so I wasn?t worried. Truck runs amazing, just doesn?t idle well. He adjusted air flow at idle and it helped some. Still smells really rich at idle. Which I know is common with long tubes etc. my question is, can I log information for him to look at with my MDI and GDS software? Biggest issue is after it?s warm and you come off idle and blip the throttle and let off, it idles very low and occasionally has died. I?ve read about the timing at idle and VE tables. Just curious if there?s something he missed. I don?t want to drive it much until I can get it ironed out. I am in the Lexington KY area if anyone can recommend a good tuner to get me back on the road. Thanks in advance !!

Quote Originally Posted by Estep40511 View Post
    Hello. I?m new here. Not exactly a tuner yet. I?m a GM master tech and recently rebuilt my 14 L83 and installed a cam (LSXCELERATION stage 2.1). Rebuilt engine with new GM parts minus the cam, springs, pushrods and rocker trunions. Had my truck tuned by a friend that?s well known so I wasn?t worried. Truck runs amazing, just doesn?t idle well. He adjusted air flow at idle and it helped some. Still smells really rich at idle. Which I know is common with long tubes etc. my question is, can I log information for him to look at with my MDI and GDS software? Biggest issue is after it?s warm and you come off idle and blip the throttle and let off, it idles very low and occasionally has died. I?ve read about the timing at idle and VE tables. Just curious if there?s something he missed. I don?t want to drive it much until I can get it ironed out. I am in the Lexington KY area if anyone can recommend a good tuner to get me back on the road. Thanks in advance !!
    Do you have a hp tuners interface? If you do you could find a stock compare file to see what the previous tuner adjusted.

Brass tax if it?s not idling appropriately(or at all) and struggling/surging coming to a stop. Revert to factory VE settings If dicked with.....

Brass tax you have to understand the torque model is the backbone of the gen v that?s no understatement it commands timing and adding a cam throws everything off significantly at idle. First the Virtual torque tables need to be lowered in your respective idle ranges. Then idle torque settings (speed reserve control, external load, offset) need proper adjustment to. IME idle speeds 800-875 especially with higher stalls.

If it struggles to idle from the jump or takes multiple cranks to start (other then cold starts) raise the whole base airflow table by 10.

Never hurts go in scanner and do a crank relearn.
    Last edited by A_Texas90; 09-09-2021 at 08:23 AM.

Tuner
    If I post my tune can someone look at it and make sure it?s safe for me to drive to a reputable tuner that?s about an hour away?

Senior Tuner
    We will be glad to check out your tune. Post your tune and a datalog...primarily of it idling, and any problematic areas that it may have.

You can’t just adjust idle airflow… idle is controlled by tq….

I do these all the time, let me know if I can help

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner
    Sounds great. Appreciate all the help. I will post the file as soon as he emails it to me. Should be later on this afternoon. I?m getting a slow response DTC for bank one sensor one now too. Entire engine was rebuilt by me with GM parts minus the cam pushrods and springs. It idled better in park before he adjusted the airflow the first time because of it surging and idling so low after blipping the throttle. I don?t even want to drive it until it?s fixed.

You’ll get a lower then commanded idle speed code before too long as well..

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner
    I have not received the email of the tuned file yet. I did record a session with GDS. if I post that can someone just take a look and see if anything seems off? Seems like the timing is way too much down low and not enough up high. But I am totally new to tuning. And it seems this Gen V is totally different. Seems like everything is based off the pedal.

Senior Tuner
    I have not received the email of the tuned file yet. I did record a session with GDS. if I post that can someone just take a look and see if anything seems off? Seems like the timing is way too much down low and not enough up high. But I am totally new to tuning. And it seems this Gen V is totally different. Seems like everything is based off the pedal.
    We would be better off seeing a datalog in HP Tuners format, along with the actual HP Tuners calibration file.

Tuner
    Okay so this is a stupid question. How do I add the file on here for you all to see ?

Tuner

tuned file from previous tuner

Senior Tuner
    It's not a very good tune.

It has stock VVE tables, stock VT tables, and, for some reason, the high octane timing table has been reduced by 14 degrees in the areas with high loads. That'll make it very sluggish.

There's a lot of room for improvement.
    I would start by making the minimum idle speed on all four idle speed tables 800 rpm.
    Put the High Octane table back to stock values.
    Put stock values for the Immediate and Predicted Speed Control tables.
    Reduce the VT tables substantially at low rpm...approximately 30-35%.
    Get the VVE tables dialed in.
    Reduce the Cam desired angle tables to 8 degrees max. (Did you use a phaser limiter kit?)
    That'll get you going.

Or, if you don't want to mess with it, there are several of us on here that tune for a living. Reach out to one of us if you want help with a proper tune.

Tuner
    Thanks everyone for their help! I actually got a great tune from Ben Charles last night. Runs AMAZING. now just gotta work on getting my money back from the previous tuner. I?m just glad my engine wasn?t ruined from his lack of knowledge.

Senior Tuner
    Thanks everyone for their help! I actually got a great tune from Ben Charles last night. Runs AMAZING. now just gotta work on getting my money back from the previous tuner. I?m just glad my engine wasn?t ruined from his lack of knowledge.
    Awesome! Ben is one of the best.