Thread: Gen V LT1 VVT Tuning Gains

Tuner in Training

Exclamation Gen V LT1 VVT Tuning Gains

As I am new to tuning Gen V engines, I was wondering were there any hp/tq gains to be had by tuning VVT with the stock cam? Also, if anyone wants to chime in and explain VVT theory and how those gains are realized, that would be great as well. Thanks for any input provided.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 99z28u_up View Post
    As I am new to tuning Gen V engines, I was wondering were there any hp/tq gains to be had by tuning VVT with the stock cam? Also, if anyone wants to chime in and explain VVT theory and how those gains are realized, that would be great as well. Thanks for any input provided.
    I know it's not what you want to hear, but there are many good threads on this topic already. VVT has been around since Gen IV so it's been discussed quite a bit. Gains at WOT will be pretty minimal but you can realize some driveability/throttle response improvements by reducing the amount of retard at part throttle, which is there to introduce an EGR-effect thereby reducing fuel consumption.

Tuner in Training
    I?ve been looking for a week. Maybe I?m using the wrong terminology. If you can point me to a thread or what terms to search, I?d appreciate it.

Tuner
    I have MUCH better results using Google instead of the forum search feature. For example, try this: "vvt Gen 5 site:forum.hptuners.com". In the future, just change 'vvt gen 5' to whatever you're researching and leave 'site:forum.hptuners.com' alone.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...VT-Tuning-HELP

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...a-6-2-With-VVT

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...n-V-Cam-Timing

Tuner in Training
    Thank you!

In my experience these new LT1's dont have much of anything to gain with a bone stock set up on the engine side. From the factory the tune pretty much extract all the hp on 93 octane. They're already tuned to the knock limit so I find it hard to believe some tuners claims of 20-40 hp increases over stock

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by regorih View Post
    In my experience these new LT1's dont have much of anything to gain with a bone stock set up on the engine side. From the factory the tune pretty much extract all the hp on 93 octane. They're already tuned to the knock limit so I find it hard to believe some tuners claims of 20-40 hp increases over stock
    Yeah 20-40 does seem like some big claims for a 93 tune only with all stock parts. I recall that someone had reported an 8 hp gain from doing just a 93 tune with all stock intake and exhaust a while back.

Tuner
    It's definitely not coming from the VVT tables! It's really a total package thing. PE tables can be leaned out, shift RPM can be raised (doesn't make more power though), fixing a closing throttle situation.

For my L86 truck the factory timing advance definitely has room for improvement especially below 3000 RPM, which can make tip-in and digs much more enjoyable.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lucas287 View Post
    It's definitely not coming from the VVT tables! It's really a total package thing. PE tables can be leaned out, shift RPM can be raised (doesn't make more power though), fixing a closing throttle situation.

For my L86 truck the factory timing advance definitely has room for improvement especially below 3000 RPM, which can make tip-in and digs much more enjoyable.

Care to share your timing table? I have a 2017 Silverado with the L86 and I haven't messed with timing to much under 3000rpm. I assume you added some timing below 3000 rpms in the
    higher cyl air mass areas for better a launch?

Ryan

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by FastV View Post
    Care to share your timing table? I have a 2017 Silverado with the L86 and I haven't messed with timing to much under 3000rpm. I assume you added some timing below 3000 rpms in the
    higher cyl air mass areas for better a launch?

Ryan
    Sorry, not the best at checking the forums.

Probably easiest if I just attach my latest tune iteration. You'll be able to see I've changed quite a lot, so feel free to pick and choose what you use. Just know that it's at your own risk each change has been intentional and researched. Maybe it's just me, but I think my truck drives pretty damn good. And BTW this is strictly a 93 octane tune. You'll get lots of KR on 87.

2016 Silverado 6.2 #90.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lucas287 View Post
    Sorry, not the best at checking the forums.

Probably easiest if I just attach my latest tune iteration. You'll be able to see I've changed quite a lot, so feel free to pick and choose what you use. Just know that it's at your own risk each change has been intentional and researched. Maybe it's just me, but I think my truck drives pretty damn good. And BTW this is strictly a 93 octane tune. You'll get lots of KR on 87.

2016 Silverado 6.2 #90.hpt
    Your Driver Demand maps look fairly aggressive vs stock. Any drivability or traction issues when in wet/cold weather? Either way looks like a stout tune, any plans of going E85 with it?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortstrokin View Post
    Your Driver Demand maps look fairly aggressive vs stock. Any drivability or traction issues when in wet/cold weather? Either way looks like a stout tune, any plans of going E85 with it?
    I'll admit, I play around with Driver Demand a lot. Right now, I'm running a very linear table (even more dramatic that the one posted above) and yes, traction is a serious issue. This morning it was misty and I was sliding all over the place. That's with traction bars and sticky Pirelli's. Solution = auto 4wd but really, I'll probably tame it down a bit. Best description of my current tune is that it feels like a torquey big block or roots-blown engine. The torque difference is that dramatic.