Thread: Is what I want to do possible? New ECU for L33 for DBC (and A/C), and stock tune

Potential Tuner

Is what I want to do possible? New ECU for L33 for DBC (and A/C), and stock tune

Hi guys!

This is my first foray into these GM ecus (Although I have some experience with eec-iv tuning). I THINK what I want to do is simple, but need your guys' input. I'll arrange my questions in bullet form for simpler responses.

I have a 5.3 L33 motor, which for the time being is stock. I have a million other issues with this project, so this engine running stock would be fine for now. But I need to switch to DBC for this car. I also would like an analog input for A/C (to come off the car's stock A/C compressor output) to raise the revs. I currently have the stock L33 ECU, which from my reading, will not support DBC.

1) I Plan on purchasing a 12570558 ecu, as they seem the most common (info taken from LT1swap for ecu's with IAC drivers). I believe this is another blue/green ECU. Can I load a stock GM tune for an L33 on to that ECU? (I don't really want to mess with tuning at the moment. I just want stock, plus removal of emissions, vats, etc) and then have DBC capability?

2) Where does one find a real, stock tune for a specific motor? For eec-iv (A9L, etc), I could find the bin's anywhere. I am having zero luck in this case!

3) From my reading (and this one is iffy), if it has IAC drivers (As 12570558 should), it may also support an analog input for A/C bump up. Is this true? No wiring diagrams for a blue/green ecu specify the Pin 17 (A/C request) that the earlier red/blue ecu's seem to have.

I think those are the main ones before I proceed with this plan (Can I find a stock tune for an L33. Can I put it onto that ECU, and if I do, can I then have DBC, and ideally, A/C bump up).

Thanks guys!!

Potential Tuner
    Hi guys,

Is there somewhere more fitting I should be posting this in the board? Just trying to get a basic understanding of where I would find an L33 stock (from GM) tune, and if I can flash it to a 12570558 ecu (I believe they are both 1mb, but, I could be wrong, that's why I'm here!

Thanks again!

Your questions are related to "conversion how to", and not directly related to tuning using HP Tuners.

You seem hung up on getting an L33 5.3L calibration - when these are not that different from the more common LM7 5.3L calibration.

The most straight forward approach would be to use an older P01 PCM (0411) programmed as a 2002 LS1 Camaro. This would get you the DBC, cooling fan, and A/C functionality that you wish. You would need to incorporate an A/C Pressure Sensor.

A custom made wiring harness would be required.

Then use HP Tuners to adapt the base Camaro calibration into a 5.3L truck calibration.

Just my two cents.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks! Sorry, I wasn't sure where else to post this.

Yes, that was my original plan, but as you said, I was/am pretty hung up on getting the stock tune to avoid tuning at all (Except for turning features on and off) at first, since I'll have many (many!!) other issues to take care of.

So what you proposed is similar to my original question: Where would I find a 2002 Ls1 Camaro tune? Once I purchase my MPVI2, will I then have access to tunes?

Thanks man!