Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 l83 6l80 injectors wont fire

Tuner in Training

Angry 2014 l83 6l80 injectors wont fire

i have done a few older ls3 and 6.0 5.3 just started learning to tune them my self. so i have a newer direct inject l83 with standalone wiring harness from current performance and computer flashed by them. I'm keeping the motor stock for now with all the vvt and fuel management working. the vats is removed all the basics covered fuel, grounding and will start with starting flued. when i put a noid light on the injectors they are not firing. here is the load please let me know what im missing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Because someone is going to ask, was the VATS removal done with a write entire and NOT a write calibration only??

Can you post a log of it trying to start?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    good question i need to buy credits. let me try that and i will up date.

update: i did a full rewrite and still fire?????????????????????
    Last edited by 1956 Tri Five; 09-11-2021 at 09:21 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Could be a harness ground issue.

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the response but no i checked that and really did good ground

Try to post a data log of it trying to start, maybe something stands out.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    let me see what i can do

Advanced Tuner
    Are you sure it's all 8 that aren't firing? I've had at least one swap only fire on 4 until a couple coil pack codes were deleted.

Tuner in Training
    nope i sent it back and the tested it thanks

Tuner in Training
    yes all 8 are not firing it like the vats is on but i disabled and rewrote 2 deferent time to make sure. im not sure with this new motor. if there is something different in the programing.

The fuel feed line, from the fuel pump, must be regulated - anywhere between 58 PSI and 72 PSI should work fine.

What fuel pressure do you have the regulator set to ?

Does it hold this fuel pressure during cranking ?

Tuner in Training
    low 60's and yes (cracked the fuel line at the rail) not 100%sure if the high pressure pumping is working its clicking. the computer has the fuel pressure switch on the back driver side fuel rail but shows no pressure. (not sure when it reads it after start or before) but that should not have nothing to do with the firing of the injector Noid tester. again it will start right up with starting fluid. so there must be something with the programing that i cant find that is not letting the injectors from firing.

Gen 5 conversions don't follow the same "rules" as the older Gen 4 conversions. A fuel pressure issue, or a fuel system issue, may cause the ECM to not activate the Fuel Injectors.

What DTCs are being set ?

I would put the following parameters back to their stock setting - at least until you overcome the "no start" condition.

- ECM 7033
    - ECM 8142
    - ECM 8143
    - ECM 8148

Also, your Low Octane Spark Table (ECM 12601) is ridiculous - it is essentially the same as the High Octane Table. You have negated the ECM's ability to rapidly learn the Spark Advance that works best with the fuel in use - which means the ECM will go into Knock Retard often - which will remove more spark than is absolutely necessary.

The High vs Low octane tables are not an "either / or" proposition, but rather are blended as necessary by the ECM.

Tuner in Training
    thanks let me try that and will give you up date

i add the first tune tat i got back before i started messing with it. (i did not do the tune Current Performance did and the harness to)

so if you look at the tune you should see the DTCs

update:
    - ECM 7033 moved to 320 kpa
    - ECM 8142 moved to 20.0
    - ECM 8143 Moved to 11.2
    - ECM 8148 Moved to 14.0 i pulled the numbers of my 2015 gmc same motor but 1 year newer i dont have the stock numbers
    and still no fire of injectors and the VCM shows no fuel pressure and no fuel pressure at fuel rail. i ordered new high pressure pump but it seems to be working when i crack the fuel line at the rail.

ok one more piece of info for some reason its shows no oil pressure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 1956 Tri Five; 09-24-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Tuner in Training
    so it has to be something with the DTS settings or the high pressure pump im just not sure

Those Alternator settings (8142, 8143, 8148) do not sound correct. I have attached a screenshot below of the stock settings.

The 2014 to 2016 Trucks used a 4-wire Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. The 2017+ Trucks used a 3-wire Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. The pinouts to the ECM are different for each style.

Your ECM calibration is a 2014 Truck.

Where did you get the wiring harness ?

Could the wiring harness be for a 2017+ application ?

If the wiring harness does have the correct a 4-wire Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (2014 - 2016), could the harness builder have somehow pinned it as a 2017+ ?

Regarding your question about DTC settings causing an issue - Yes, this could be the case.

You would need to compare your DTC settings to a known 100% stock calibration.

2014 E92 L83 - Alternator settings.jpg

Tuner in Training
    quick backstory i bought the engine back in 2014 and had the harness built which is one of the first harness for this motor by current performance.(yes sitting around in this truck for a while) who did the computer also.
    so the 17 was not even around yet. my thought is that its a 14. now that beaning seed i did send the harness and computer back to have it rechecked and it was all working correctly according to them. i did set almost every thing to stock per my 2015 gmc - the 4x4 stuff. im not running a belt do to no powering fluid and water i dont want to burn the pumps up and no intake at this second because im testing the injectors. my only other thought is that hi pressure pump is not working correctly or the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail is not working which is why i ordered both. will keep you up to date thanks for the help

Tuner in Training
    still not working

Advanced Tuner
    A log would really help of it key on engine off and then you attempting to start it with about as much data logged as possible.

Tuner in Training
    ok i hope i did this correctly is this what your looking for please let me know what you see i just dont see nothing
    Attached Files Attached Files