Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post-Swap and DOD Disable CEL's

Tuner in Training

Post-Swap and DOD Disable CEL's

I swapped in an L96 into my 1500 Silverado and wrote a new tune with DOD disabled. On the first startup the idle was rough because one of the plug wires was loose.

Current DTC's after clearing:
    0x543: C0561 (SES, Pending, Current, History)
    0x7E8: P0107 - Manifold Absolute Pressure / BARO Sensor Low (SES, Pending, Current, Old, Permanent, History)
    0x7E8: P0300 - Random Misfire Detected (Permanent)
    0x7E8: P219A - Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance Bank 1 (Permanent)

I assume the last two are from the loose plug wire and rough idle. Will the first two drop off with more ignition cycles? Log file attached. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Permanent codes will go away if the fault is no longer present after a given amount of ignition cycles. I couldn't tell you exactly how many that will take.

Make sure you have no MAP sensor problems. You should be logging the MAP sensor channels to make sure of that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    MAP sensor was plugged in upside down, oops

Will the readiness checks show up in the diagnostic window at some point now that there aren't any active DTC's?

Tuner in Training
    OK, now that I've had some driving time the main codes that keep coming back are P0106 and P0175. Long term fuel trims are very negative, around -20%. That would explain the P0175. Does anything look out of line in the attached log?

What injectors did you use with the swap?

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Stock L96 injectors.

Is the tune updated with that injector data and as well as MAP data if that is different?

Did you copy and paste the MAF curve and VVE tables over from the 6.0 file into yours?

Gotta post tune files when asking questions, otherwise we are just asking questions because we can't see what the tune looks like.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Is the tune updated with that injector data and as well as MAP data if that is different?

Did you copy and paste the MAF curve and VVE tables over from the 6.0 file into yours?

Gotta post tune files when asking questions, otherwise we are just asking questions because we can't see what the tune looks like.

No, the only thing I touched in the tune was disabling AFM. Tune is attached.

There is a stock tune from a 2010 2500 6.0 available on the repository, would that be a good place to start?
    Last edited by L96_1500; 10-02-2021 at 10:40 AM.

The stuff I listed is exactly where you need to start.

It's running so damn rich because all the fueling is wrong. The injector data is wrong because you put in different injectors. The two main fueling tables being the MAF airflow freq curve and the VVE tables under the edit tab would be wrong for a 6.0.

You'll have to do some homework here to make sure you put in the right data. Match the data you need with the year engine you got. If the 6.0 engine is from a 2010+ make sure the part number on the injectors matches the data you need from the tune. Same with the MAP sensor, if the part number is the same as your 5.3 engine, then that data will already be correct. If not, just swap your 5.3 MAP sensor back over.

The injector flow rate, min injector pulse, short pulse adder and offset vs press vs IGNV all need to be changed for the injectors.

Tuner in Training
    OK this is making sense. The 2010 and 2011 6.0s use the same injector part number so I grabbed the MAF/freq curve and VVE curve from there.

MAP sensor is the same part number between the 5.3 and 6.0.

For the injectors, should I carry over basically everything from the 6.0 tune or just the parameters you mentioned?

The main 4 that I mentioned should be enough.

There are E78 L96s and E38 L96s, make damn sure you have a compatible file before you go copying things.

Tuner in Training
    I'll get those changes flashed and see how it goes. Looking at other areas in the tune there are a lot of differences when I use the compare function. Would it make sense to start transitioning those over as well?

Tuner in Training
    Both tunes are E38 according to the calibration details.

Tuner in Training
    Got about 120 miles on the updated tune. Long term fuel trims are much better, still getting the P0106. Log and tune attached.

If you have the other MAP sensor, try swapping it. Check the harness and you could run through and test the sensor/wiring as well.

What would help is the stock tune from your truck before you made all these changes, and the stock file that matches the donor engine.

Your '1500 Silverado' is what year? 2011? Originally LC9 5.3L? Same VIN as in the tune file?

How are you tuning the MAF if you are not logging MAF (Hz)?

How are you tuning (or even just checking to see where in the table it is at any given point in a logfile) spark if you are not logging cylinder airmass?

You have DOD master switch disabled, but all the DTCs are still active.

Have the DOD parts been physically removed, or still there and just turned off in the tune?

Is the new engine using VVT?

I compared it to a 2011 file I had, he only changed the basics. MAF/VVE, injector data and few minor things to make it work. Like almost everything else was stock 5.3 settings.

DoD is off, VVT is on. (6.0's in the heavy duty's don't have AFM parts inside).

Tuner in Training
    It turns out neither of the MAP sensors are the exact part number that ACDelco calls for, so I ordered that one and installed it. No changes, still getting the P0106. Log and current tune attached.

At WOT (or 99.6%), the MAP and BARO values differ by a max of 5.5 kPa. I have not yet checked voltages at the connector or used a vacuum pump to induce pressure changes to test the harness and sensor.