Thread: 09 Malibu 2.4SC Injector Issue

Potential Tuner

09 Malibu 2.4SC Injector Issue

Hey all,
    As it says in the title, it's a project. 2.4L with an E37 PCM. M62 with a 2.8. Everything engine internal is stock, has an LSJ kit bolted. Having an injector timing issue. I'm using Siemens Deka 107961 flow matched injectors. The best list of specs I can find on it are:
    Body Design: Long, Minitimer electrical connector, Deka IV, high-carbon composite

Static flow rate: 62 lbs/hr @ 43.5 PSI (646 cc/min @ 3 BAR)
    Overall length: 3 inches, 74 mm
    O-ring to o-ring: 2.3 inches, 60 mm

Body Diameter: 15 mm

O-rings: Top and bottom, 14.0 mm

Spray cone: 26 degrees

Minimum linear PW: 1.5 ms

Open/close: 1.3 ms/0.7 ms

Part number on injector: 107961

Coil resistance: 12.0 Ohms (high resistance, saturated)

3 BAR dead time/latency offset Table:
    8 volts 1.538 ms; 9v 1.231ms; 10v 0.923; 11v 0.708; 12v 0.523; 13v 0.400ms; 14v 0.308; 15v 0.215; 16v 0.092; 17v 0.000

Minimum Pulse Width: 1.5 ms

So I set the min PW to 1.5, and the short pulse width to 2.0ms (open + close ms times). I tried to set the volts under Engine -> Fuel -> General -> Flow Rate -> Flow Rate Mult vs Volts with the table they provided, and the car won't start. So I set that table to 1.250 and it starts and idles well. For the life of me, between my fueling tables and the injector tables, I can't get this thing to go. It idles well, but put it in D and try to take off and it falls over. Once it finally reaches above 2000rpm it takes off like a rocket. Best PSI I've seen was 16, but that was sitting in P and racing it up like an idiot :P If anyone has some insight as to where I go from here, I'd be eternally grateful. I know these injectors have long been discussed and there's really no good information I've found, but I'm hoping for some good news. I attached my "best" tune for the project. TIA!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Questions need to be answered in order to get help.

1) Are you running a return style fuel system with a 1:1 regulator or is your fuel system a non-return system?
    2) What fuel pressure are you running in the rail?

A few things to note:
    This injector data is missing probably 30% of the required data.
    Knowing the deadtime is nice (Open/Close time), but the GM computers don't give two hoots about it. These computers only care about the short pulse settings which are the settings that dictate the short pulse required to correct the non-linear flow region of the injector into a linear flow result.
    PW limit is 1.5 ms and the short pulse limit i would set between 2.2 and 2.5 ms. Gives you room to tweak any offsets since you don't have that data on hand.
    The Flow Rate Mult. table is a flow rate offset table used primarily for telling teh computer the flow rate of much larger injectors. To be more exact, injectors that are 127 llbh/hr and above. Set this table to 1.0 in every cell. Your voltage flow corrections go into the Offsets tables. I wont be able to offer any advice on setting the correct flow rate table or offset values until i know the answers to the above questions. I also don't guarantee the values are going to work because the values i can suggest are based on mathematical interpolation since there is so much flow data missing.
    Your enrichment values seem really rich. Im seeing a 10.4 as the richest value. The sweet spot for the LSJ engine is between 11.5 and 11.7. Now if you still have the stock 2.4 pistons and haven't gapped the rings for boost i would target 11.3 to 11.5 AFR. You'll need the extra fuel to cool the cylinder and get some ignition advance back. Careful pushing too much ignition. You'll overheat the top ring at which point you can kiss the top of your piston goodbye.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman