Thread: 6.7 PS tuning(Diesel newbie)

Tuner

6.7 PS tuning(Diesel newbie)

Hello all, I've scowered the Diesel section for PS for any sort of beginners guide but have found nothing so far. I'm New to Diesel, Not to tuning. I'm not a shop just tune my own stuff. I Did basic stuff on my Coyote with HPT and My old Cobalt SS/SC with HPT as well. But with Diesel this is completely new. I have a 2013 F250 4x4 with 95k miles. Completely stock currently. I've done a bit of logging and inspected the Factory file. So I have familiarized my self. I'm not looking for a hand holding session. But just some basic advice. Things, Like How do I scale MAF if i go to a different intake, adjusting injection timing or injection quantity. I have the calculator spreadsheet. But I don't know the correct way of using. Like how much is too much injection timing? To me these are sorta basic things. I don't have a dyno to access either. I'm also not here looking to make max power on a stock truck. Just things to make it overall better. Any advice is greatly Appreciated. I have stock read I can throw up and long data loggin sessions. I also am unsure of what histograms I should create. I have a injection timing, VGT Position and boost pressure minus atmo setup currently. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WobbleWobble View Post
    Hello all, I've scowered the Diesel section for PS for any sort of beginners guide but have found nothing so far. I'm New to Diesel, Not to tuning. I'm not a shop just tune my own stuff. I Did basic stuff on my Coyote with HPT and My old Cobalt SS/SC with HPT as well. But with Diesel this is completely new. I have a 2013 F250 4x4 with 95k miles. Completely stock currently. I've done a bit of logging and inspected the Factory file. So I have familiarized my self. I'm not looking for a hand holding session. But just some basic advice. Things, Like How do I scale MAF if i go to a different intake, adjusting injection timing or injection quantity. I have the calculator spreadsheet. But I don't know the correct way of using. Like how much is too much injection timing? To me these are sorta basic things. I don't have a dyno to access either. I'm also not here looking to make max power on a stock truck. Just things to make it overall better. Any advice is greatly Appreciated. I have stock read I can throw up and long data loggin sessions. I also am unsure of what histograms I should create. I have a injection timing, VGT Position and boost pressure minus atmo setup currently. Thanks
    Post your tune file and post your timing calc and ill help you out. Personally speaking timing calcs are not an effective way of finding MBT on modern diesel's, a lot has changed since the days of timing calcs and injector pw splitting, and good tunes look terrible in a timing calculator. But you can use them to help you see patterns and visualize the injection event.

Tuner
    13F250STK.hpt Here is the stock read I pulled off. This is a link to my google drive. I pulled this timing calc off a post here. Took some digging to find it. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...f=true&sd=true

What are your goals for the truck? Will it be going on a diet or staying stock?

Tuner
    It'll get other upgrades over time as needed. It'll see some towing. Car trailer. Locally and out of state now and then. I'm not looking for absolute max power. Just wanna set it up where its responsive and wont be pushing the factory turbo to its breaking point. Im already looking at the 15+ swap. Found someone then sells the parts off wrecked trucks to do it for a good price. So that might happen pretty soon. IDK
    Last edited by WobbleWobble; 09-15-2021 at 12:55 PM.

Gotcha. That's a good choice doing the 15+ swap. While you're in there, I would slap a modded VGT and a 15+ CP4 or 55% over pump lol. But the stock 15+ swap is still really good. Are you interested in tuning it right now with the emissions intact as you wait for the parts?

Tuner
    That part I'm unsure of. Since ill hopefully be using another programmer to flash the stock file and then pull that out and start tuning that. I would expect If i license the truck now after using a MM that ill need to relicense. But I honestly have no idea. I do know that I am having a weird boost issue. And not sure if its Emissions related or not. Currently DEF heater isnt working and of course 13-14 trucks are not part of the recall while the 13-14 Cab chassis are. I wanna choke someone out. So its either pay 900+ for them to replace it. Or 150 for the cheapest heater to hopefully fix it or 150 to just need not to worry about it.

Man that sucks, best of luck. There are a few people around here that can get you setup with a stock file without having to buy a whole programmer(unless you want to try someone's tunes). How's the boost issue? What are the symptoms?

Tuner
    I'll still be using HP to tune. Just tune Stacking. Boost issue appears to be related to ECT temp. I have a log of the issue. But what I observed is that after truck is sitting for a couple of mins i come out start and drive. Well ECT has come up to around 200. What im observing in logs is VGT position is lower than before and boost is now over 20lbs. after a few mins of driving i can see VGT commanded go back up and boost come back and be maximum of maybe 18lbs. I'll post up that log. Im only stacking tunes is because i cant seem to find the correct files. I have files for 6.4 PS though

Finding the files would be hard/nonexistent, it's best to contact some people on this fourm. PM me if you need me to refer you to someone that can help you with those files.

Tuner
    Here's that log file. I'm curious to see whats causing this. Since, it seems perfectly stock
    Attached Files Attached Files

Id be interested in getting a "MOdified" stock tune. I am starting to get a check engine light for DPF below threshold on mine and since it is not under warranty, I want to replace with something that flows a little better. I have a 2017 f250 6.7 that is otherwise stock
    2004 jeep LJ
    Stock supercharged 4.0, 36lb injectors, 62mm bbk throttle body.
    2017 f250 6.7 Diesel
    2020 Explorer 2.3 ecoboost