Thread: 1 tune for different levels of boost possible?

Potential Tuner

1 tune for different levels of boost possible?

I have a configuration that should logically work, but I know when it comes to tuning and real world, things don't always work out.

I have a pretty solid built LS3. Ported heads, stage 3 cam, long tube headers, 3 inch Flowmaster full exhaust, and a TVS 2300 blower. I am running a pulley that gives me 12.5lbs of boost currently, but I dont want to run that much boost all the time. I know that sounds strange, but I was at the track the other day and I kept getting sideways in the corners because it had too much torque for the tires. if I pulley up and back down the boost to 6 or 8lbs for tack days, do i need to worry much about the tune?

In theory, the computer should compensate for less air, going in, and it should run like normal.

So do I need to get it back on the Dyno and retune if I am pulling boost out?

Let me know your thoughts.

Senior Tuner
    Not an expert but just thinking logically...

Start with the low boost pulley, full tune MAF and VE.
    Then medium pulley, then high boost pulley tuning high load cruise and WOT areas only.
    You should be hitting different areas of the tables under WOT and the cruise and idle areas should be the same. Cant see why your idea won't work. I'm thinking if your injector data is not spot on you might have issues in zones that are hit by all 3 pulleys. In that case just use the safest set of 3 values.
    Perhaps do 3 separate tunes for each, pull the MAF and VE tables into excel and build a new single set of tables that takes the maximum value from all the tunes. Safest.

Senior Tuner
    And yea for the dyno as you should be able to run more timing with the lower boost.