Thread: 2009 Colorado 5.3L to 6.2L Swap, Gen IV, E67

Tuner in Training

2009 Colorado 5.3L to 6.2L Swap, Gen IV, E67

Have a 2009 Colorado with factory V8 (5.3L LH8), 4L60E, E67 controller (plus spare). Mileage is getting up there (272k, but runs perfect still), so I have a 6.2L assembled ready to replace it using a stock LS3 cam (for calibration simplification), truck intake, and will carry over the same throttle body that is used on my current 5.3L (same size as the L92 one anyway). The square port 6.2L truck intake I acquired has the higher flow E85 injectors in it. I do have exhaust bungs and AFR gauges with outputs to use.

Want suggestions on how to best get it up and running. Will never run E85, so should I put stock LS3 or L92 injectors on the intake, and then just flash in an E67 / LS3 tune from a GMPP crate engine which is in the repository? Not sure if this would run the throttle body correctly, as they are a bit different between truck and car types, or at least in appearance. I have heard time and time again that the truck intake flows just as well, so not too worried there.

Or, do the swap, then have it towed to Livernois Performance or Lingenfelter Performance, both of which are close, and pay them to do the cal?

Or, do the swap, then pay an experienced tuner here to mod my 5.3L tune to be able to start and run the 6.2L, and finish it via remote tuning with them?

Or, I open up the 5.3L tune file, and start to copy over 6.2L (L9H or LS3) tune tables.

Highly value a few opinions, please and thanks. This is my daily driver to work, and I look forward to learning HPT deeply, but after the 1 day engine swap, I'd be looking to have it at least be daily drivable within a day or so after that. So, no problem to pay people which are more experienced in setting up and finalizing a calibration to expedite the time to get it running stable, plus I don't want my inexperience to trash a fresh engine with too much spark advance, etc..... No problem to pay to have it done right, or at least close. Same with swapping parts if you strongly recommend (make it a pure L92 clone, or pure LS3 clone).

Thanks in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    I've done the exact same swap in the exact same vehicle, also while I lived in Michigan. lol

Don't use the GMPP cal. Start with production and bring in some base cals from the LS3 - VVE, spark, injector data, etc. The idle control cals will be very valuable as well - you may also just want to copy those in. Gotta start somewhere - there's nothing wrong with utilizing values from known good calibrations. The manufacturers do it all the time.

Potential Tuner
    Hey
    I have been reading over all of your threads since I am doing just about the same swap and don?t see the final bits of info. I have a 2012 Colorado with a factory I4 engine. I am dropping in a L92 6.2 and putting a 2wd 6L80 behind it. I was wondering how far you made it in your swap? If I flash the stock E67 ecm to a factory V8 5.3 with GM SPS(then edit it to run a 6.2), will a 2012 cal in the TEHCM communicate and work with the colorado e67 5.3 operating system?
    Any more info on this would be great.