Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enabling Flex Fuel and LTFT

I did two long drives today, one was 44 minutes and it is still Active Learning and stuck in Refueling. I've been tweaking the speed density tables to get the fuel trims more aligned and it's the best it has ever been, but still won't Mature the inferred AFR or get out of Refueling mode.

Advanced Tuner
    What gen is this? Today I flashed my flex tune and drove the 5 miles to the e85 station. My LTFT"s populated.

I filled up with e85 and drove off. Went through a drive through and dash showed 10.1 AFR at idle. Picked up food and hit the freeway for about 15 miles then 5 miles of back roads, LT's did not populate.

Got home and we ate then I went for another drive and the LT's populated within 5 miles.

I'm pretty sure you have done this but for my car I need to shut it off and restart to get the LT's to work.

Can you take a screenshot of your flex fuel tab?

Advanced Tuner
    Yep.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Scanner

Thank you!

Radar Doc and K44,

Would you mind sharing your Learned Knock settings or at least compare them to the ones in my screen shot? The reason I ask is that I noticed the Coyote base tunes have the octane adjust pretty much disabled (Max/Min Octane Modifier are 0's for the 5.0 in the F-150 and Mustang). I also opened up the tables for the Octane Modifier Clip and Knock Learned vs. Octane tables.

Knock Learn.JPG

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    Radar Doc and K44,

Would you mind sharing your Learned Knock settings or at least compare them to the ones in my screen shot? The reason I ask is that I noticed the Coyote base tunes have the octane adjust pretty much disabled (Max/Min Octane Modifier are 0's for the 5.0 in the F-150 and Mustang). I also opened up the tables for the Octane Modifier Clip and Knock Learned vs. Octane tables.

Knock Learn.JPG
    Certainly. Here's a screenshot of my current settings (2020 Mustang 5.0 10R80). The tables are stock. Parameters on the spark retard tab highlighted in green are changes I've made from stock. Not calling this part of my tune fully complete yet, but the function seems to work pretty well running E85.

2020 Mustang Octane Mod.JPG

I've noticed not all Ford tunes are created the same for this function.

I log Inferred Octane, Knock Octane Modifier, Knock Correct Learn, Borderline Modifier KOM and Knock Learned Average. I set up two graphs in VCM Scanner to help visualize the effects. One is Knock Correct Learn using Air Load and RPM. The other is Borderline Modifier KOM using Air Load and RPM.

Like I said, still a "work in progress" but hope this helps.

Thank you. I am starting to think it may be a difference in the actual wideband sensor design that is causing the issue.

Do any of you have access to FORScan? If so, could you check IPC Configuration (not the As-Built) as if you were to reprogram/change the settings? You may need to request a free extended license (I opted to pay for the lifetime since it is well worth it). There's a setting for Flex Fuel Vehicle (you may need to type in Flex Fuel or Fuel under Filter). Just curious to see if it is enabled or disabled on your Coyotes.

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have an address for this?

Advanced Tuner
    Mine is off

Advanced Tuner
    Double checked and the tune I have in the car is flex enabled. ForScan says it is not. I'm going to flip the switch in FS to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the screenshot. I am not sure what this switch does. I couldn't find an address within the IPC Module for this setting, it only shows up on the non-asbuilt configuration mode. Since it is under IPC, I am wondering if it just correlates to how fuel economy/DTE is measured. I do recall an HPTuners setting for the density of fuel from E0 to E100 that might have an impact on DTE/fuel economy.

I am curious to see if you notice anything different in the next few drive cycles.

Advanced Tuner
    I'll let you know

It should be in 720-01-02 (IPC) xxxx _xxx

Where _ enables/disables forward collision, flex fuel, and front fog lamp indicator. There's a whole matrix on the F-150 page https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=2040827287 under IPC

But on my actual FFV Explorer, the FFV/Flex Fuel was enabled.

I'm basically running as close to straight gas as possible. The inferred stoich is 14.000 but it just doesn't want to mature. It's always stuck in active learning. I think there's something else at play with EcoBoost that prevents it from fully functioning as flex fuel (either something not defined by HPTuners or the physical O2 sensor design). Doesn't seem to be an issue with the Fords that use the FFV-style primary widebands like on the Coyote Mustangs.