Thread: Having trouble running clean

Potential Tuner

Having trouble running clean

I am new to the tuning world and am looking for some help making the truck run clean enough for emissions. I think I am close but still not clean enough. I attached the file I am running right now. Let me know what you guys think about the tune and how to clean it up.

I have tried pulling fuel in the Boost limit A tab but it got sluggish and didn't help with the smoke. I also tried a little more or less timing down low. I think the things I am battling are low stall converter, big turbo, and big injectors. Best for smoke and driveability.hpt

I have other questions about power and smoke and such but want to start with getting a good tune that I know will pass emissions.

I am recently thinking about adding a little post injection in to try and clean it up. have read it is good for emissions and turbo spooling. So some of your thoughts on that would also be appreciated.

This is my first time posting here, so let me know if there is anything I can do differently if needed.

Thanks!
    05 Dodge ram 3500
    Auto trans Stage 2 ATS with Low Stall Converter
    90 HP DDP injectors
    Phat Shaft 80mm turbo
    5 in turbo back exhaust
    AFE cold air intake and intake horn
    and big intercooler

To help turbo spool and reduce smoke you need to have negative timing in the area where turbo is spooling...low rpm and mm3 just over your cruising area
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch

Tuner in Training
    I bet that 80mm turbo with 90 hp injectors is a Smokey laggy pig ! Is it compounded with the stocker or single ?

Potential Tuner
    Its a single. bought it this way. Its a phat shaft 62 but I am pretty sure that turbo came with a 70mm and an 80mm and mine, I believe, is the 80
    05 Dodge ram 3500
    90 HP DDP injectors
    Phat Shaft 80mm turbo
    5 in turbo back exhaust
    and big intercooler

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MAIDENCR View Post
    To help turbo spool and reduce smoke you need to have negative timing in the area where turbo is spooling...low rpm and mm3 just over your cruising area
    Can you explain a little more? for a while I had this as my main timing more smokey.png

but recently changed it to this. and it seems more responsive and this is the least smoky I've seen it. curent.png
    05 Dodge ram 3500
    90 HP DDP injectors
    Phat Shaft 80mm turbo
    5 in turbo back exhaust
    and big intercooler

Tuner in Training
    When looking on the II website is says the phat shaft has the 65mm turbine with either a12 or 14cm housing . If that’s what you got you should have no problems running smoke free . You first have to verify what you got , also people classify turbos off the compressor size so you actually have a 62 not an 80 . Is there an identity tag on the turbo ?

Potential Tuner
    Just adjusted things to what I think you are talking about... let me know if I am headed in the right direction or on the wrong track. Neg. timin adjust.png
    05 Dodge ram 3500
    90 HP DDP injectors
    Phat Shaft 80mm turbo
    5 in turbo back exhaust
    and big intercooler

Potential Tuner
    pretty sure this is the turbo I have. https://sinisterdiesel.com/i-2275699...mins-5-9l.html

the 14cm I guess. .80
    Still learning! This truck came with a LOT of upgrades that I am still trying to figure out and learn about. It originally had the smarty and was a smoky PIG! But it could also light up the duals if I wanted to.
    05 Dodge ram 3500
    90 HP DDP injectors
    Phat Shaft 80mm turbo
    5 in turbo back exhaust
    and big intercooler

Need to see log and tune

And send me a private message

Quote Originally Posted by Root2 View Post
    Can you explain a little more? for a while I had this as my main timing more smokey.png

but recently changed it to this. and it seems more responsive and this is the least smoky I've seen it. curent.png
    03 cummins,175% flux injectors,dual cp3,s467.7/83 1.00
    Nv5600 with valair triple disc clutch

i'm running a single 64mm turbine is i think 78mm 90 hp sticks 10mm pump. here is my timing map, works very well and no smoke even you stab it hard small puff. max fuel is 3000us
    Attachment 113616
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by guy-ffc View Post
    i'm running a single 64mm turbine is i think 78mm 90 hp sticks 10mm pump. here is my timing map, works very well and no smoke even you stab it hard small puff. max fuel is 3000us
    Attachment 113616
    Thank you for that! I will give it a try and see how she does. Are you running any post injection? I felt like 34 degrees is a LOT at the top end. But you don't have any trouble with it?
    05 Dodge ram 3500
    90 HP DDP injectors
    Phat Shaft 80mm turbo
    5 in turbo back exhaust
    and big intercooler

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Root2 View Post
    Thank you for that! I will give it a try and see how she does. Are you running any post injection? I felt like 34 degrees is a LOT at the top end. But you don't have any trouble with it?
    Well don't just copy that 34* and run it

Timing needs to be based on what pulse width your actually running and rpm. He's at 3000us and 29.5* @3000 rpm which is near a 55% split.

You're currently 1920us with 24.18* at 3000rpm = 70%. So you're actually running more aggressive timing wise.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Everytime5.9 View Post
    Well don't just copy that 34* and run it

Timing needs to be based on what pulse width your actually running and rpm. He's at 3000us and 29.5* @3000 rpm which is near a 55% split.

You're currently 1920us with 24.18* at 3000rpm = 70%. So you're actually running more aggressive timing wise.
    That's great information! Thank you. I'm still learning about all that. I wasn't going to just copy and go. I was going to figure out the differences like what you are saying and take the low end into consideration because that's where I'm struggling.
    All great information!!
    05 Dodge ram 3500
    90 HP DDP injectors
    Phat Shaft 80mm turbo
    5 in turbo back exhaust
    and big intercooler

i run some post yes not much and pilot is off after 2200 @ 55 mm3 . my turbo also has the factory-type gate hooked up running keeping max boost under 50psi and I do have studs.
    you can have a copy of this if you want, still needs a few tweaks but I've been on another project for a few months. even though I got away from timing calculators it will help to wrap your head around things better as well. Jim P helped me grasp a lot of this which really helped me gain some traction for say

you will notice I run pretty high rail psi as well, it may point you in the right direction for your motor as they all act differently, study the logs the first changes it took me a week of studying to make changes! haha and I have a rail plug fyi

Attachment 113649
    Last edited by Fummins_Tuning; 09-23-2021 at 05:05 AM.
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Does your truck run on this tune? Mine runs terrible. I copied your data and it chokes and coughs on startup. You have coolant fuel at 0, which i thought id match for kicks. That might have been the issue. Some of your other fuelling is pretty low too.

Potential Tuner
    I ran this tune today and thought it was decent... but REALLY laggy when cold and still pretty laggy building boost after its warmed up.

Tune 3 not a fan.hpt
    05 Dodge ram 3500
    90 HP DDP injectors
    Phat Shaft 80mm turbo
    5 in turbo back exhaust
    and big intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Does your truck run on this tune? Mine runs terrible. I copied your data and it chokes and coughs on startup. You have coolant fuel at 0, which i thought id match for kicks. That might have been the issue. Some of your other fuelling is pretty low too.
    yup I do I have done some fuel psi changes since and added some pilot back in. mine is an 03 with 05 ecm stuffed into a ford with an allison behind it. it's almost stock lol all kidding aside it hauls ass and runs clean with great egt's
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com