Thread: 3.5 wastegate tuning for LESS boost

3.5 wastegate tuning for LESS boost

Crazy, I know.

First post here. I do electrical diagnostics for a living and LS swaps after hours. I own a HPT setup to aid in LS swaps, although I don?t go too far into ?tuning?.
    Daily driver is an 11 f150 3.5.
    I?m hoping to do some good data logging and tweak some stuff for the big end, but some googling got me to wonder if you?d be able to tune in some wastegate actuation at low Throttle position, to reduce stoplight/traffic boost, and consequently reduce fuel consumption.
    I found some mail order tunes advertising such, but I?m not sure if this is actually possible or just snake oil. https://5startuning.com/f150-eco-boost-3-5l-v6-economy/

All other turbo vehicles had enough lag to stay out of boost easy, but these damn turbos light immediately. Forgive me if I?m being ass-backwards here, but I like technology and it?s fun to make things do what they?re not intended to do.

This ECM is a lot more intimidating than 5.3, and honestly I don?t know where to start.
    Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for you time and humoring me.

Cheers

You could try adjusting the driver demand tables at lower throttle inputs to a lower torque value to see if that keeps boost down. I have been considering the same with my '13 EB F150 to help fuel mileage in town and on the hwy.
    Owner/Tuner@Evolution Automotive Performance
    Lincoln, Ne

Advanced Tuner
    What he said.

You can look at the torque-to-load tables and see what torque corresponds to 1.0 load (near zero boost). Then go into the torque demand table and reduce low rpm/pedal position torque demand to values that correspond to 1.0 load.

Go into Airflow - Pressure Control - Open up Expected Tip, lower these will bring things down, but there are some other tables that will need attention.

Just thought I would update on this. I lowered the Driver Demand tables to a point where they were below 1.0 load values up until about 40% throttle. After 2 tanks of fuel I have not seen any change in fuel milage at all in town or on the highway (this included a 400 mile round trip drive last weekend). I will say that the truck does indeed stay out of boost at lighter throttle, but the truck now feels very lazy down low when leaving a stoplight and I find myself just using more throttle to stay up with traffic. In all, the throttle does feel a little more progressive than it did before, but I would not suggest doing it based on my experience so far.
    Owner/Tuner@Evolution Automotive Performance
    Lincoln, Ne

Potential Tuner
    There is going to be diminishing returns as with anything and to be quite honest I would think that the factory setting while there may be room for improvement it can't be that great. Their one concern from factory is going to be efficiency in terms of emissions and fuel mileage so while there may be room for improvement we are talking min maxing and I doubt it's anything too far above marginal at best. Still very interested on the topic.

Tuner
    as some have said on here, you just end up using more throttle. the manufactures got efficiency down pretty well. you can do a log of your load during light throttle application and maybe bump timing up a little, just have to keep an eye on kr. if your running 87 oct prolly wont be able to add much if any, the manufactures got that down pretty well too.