Thread: torque management

torque management

Hey guys I replied to a thread in the engine v8 section that should be in the tranny section with no answer. So I thought I would ask here. Anyways I have had two tunes done on my car. One with a remote tuner and one with a local shop by way of a dyno tune. Well I have been reading a lot of what you guys are doing and it seems like a lot of you say to don't disable torque management but both of my tuners have disabled it. Why? Is it just easier for them to disable it or from lack of tuning experience? Should I turn it back on? Thanks

I would turn it back on

If I turn it back on is it going to effect the way it shifts? And what settings should I have it at?my new tune.hpt

You guys are a big help. Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    Hey guys I replied to a thread in the engine v8 section that should be in the tranny section with no answer. So I thought I would ask here. Anyways I have had two tunes done on my car. One with a remote tuner and one with a local shop by way of a dyno tune. Well I have been reading a lot of what you guys are doing and it seems like a lot of you say to don't disable torque management but both of my tuners have disabled it. Why? Is it just easier for them to disable it or from lack of tuning experience? Should I turn it back on? Thanks
    Depends on the application. 4 speed autos will live just fine without torque management. The 6-10 speeds need some of it.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    If I turn it back on is it going to effect the way it shifts? And what settings should I have it at?my new tune.hpt
    It will affect what you feel during the shifts, but in general it should improve the shifts since the power is decoupling.

Tuner in Training
    Hey Joe, I cant help youbut i am in same boat wondering about TQ management.
    whats the details of your swap?

I have a GPI SS1 cam with cai and TSP long tubes and their 3" exhaust. All stock tranny. It was dyno tuned locally.

How about you?

So I turned torque management all back on in the engine settings but not torque reduction in transmission settings. And then I set it up with the recommendations from goat rope garage since no one on here would tell me what to do, by adjusting the virtual torque in the engine settings and let me just say it shifts way better now. A lot more positive shifts without the hard harsh shifts. Before it used to jerk into gear now it doesn't jerk anymore just a quick fast shift. I would definitely recommend this guy to anyone looking for torque management questions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8X5z0qxnM4