Thread: 1974 Chevy Nova LM7/4L60 with unknown Stage 3 Cam Kit

Tuner in Training

1974 Chevy Nova LM7/4L60 with unknown Stage 3 Cam Kit

I recently bought a 74 Nova with a LM7 and 4L60 Trans and I was told that a Stage 3 Cam kit was installed but they have no information on the exact kit. What issues am I going to run into? Is there a way to find out the Cam specs without tearing down the engine? I just bought the HPVI2+ and credits so it will be here in a few days.

242149971_10220376731196921_7047721185833993818_n.jpg
    242193069_10220376731556930_1593641532876492589_n.jpg
    242080436_10220376731956940_8366398806197593903_n.jpg
    A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one. ~ William Shakespeare

You'd need paper work or to see the camshaft to figure out the specs. That's if they are on stamped on the camshaft end.

Here are my worries with a swap vehicle like that.

Does it have a proper fuel system. You need to verify this by testing fuel pressure. It must maintain around 55-58psi give or take while idling and under heavy load. A large drop in fuel pressure is bad and so is a large spike in fuel pressure.

That air filter is super small and needs to be larger. Also that intake needs to reach cooler air, it's going to get super hot in that location with the exhaust right there.

Double check what injectors it has. All of the LM7 5.3's should have 25lb/hr injectors, those are going to be probably too small for the power and rpm that camshaft will make power too.

Also get a wideband oxygen sensor for tuning, it's a must have for tuning the air fuel ratio's correctly.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Knowing the exact specs won't really help you any with the tuning process. It's not like there's a page where you type in cam specs in the tune and it auto-adjusts everything around it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You'd need paper work or to see the camshaft to figure out the specs. That's if they are on stamped on the camshaft end.

Here are my worries with a swap vehicle like that.

Does it have a proper fuel system. You need to verify this by testing fuel pressure. It must maintain around 55-58psi give or take while idling and under heavy load. A large drop in fuel pressure is bad and so is a large spike in fuel pressure.

That air filter is super small and needs to be larger. Also that intake needs to reach cooler air, it's going to get super hot in that location with the exhaust right there.

Double check what injectors it has. All of the LM7 5.3's should have 25lb/hr injectors, those are going to be probably too small for the power and rpm that camshaft will make power too.

Also get a wideband oxygen sensor for tuning, it's a must have for tuning the air fuel ratio's correctly.
    I just bought the EFI tank for it from tanks inc. as well as the proper sending unit and fuel pump that the 5.3 is rated for and then some. Those should be here in a couple weeks. I believe it is still running the factory 03 Tahoe tune. It does run and man does it move but I think there is always room for improvement.I am looking for intake solutions for it already. I think I will try and retrofit a box under the hood. This may be the L59 but I haven't checked yet so would that make a difference in the injectors?
    A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one. ~ William Shakespeare

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Knowing the exact specs won't really help you any with the tuning process. It's not like there's a page where you type in cam specs in the tune and it auto-adjusts everything around it.
    Sounds like that would be nice to be able to do. lol

Senior Tuner
    I don't see a MAF sensor or a separate IAT sensor. Do you have HP Tuners to read the PCM calibration?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    I don't see a MAF sensor or a separate IAT sensor. Do you have HP Tuners to read the PCM calibration?
    I just ordered it tonight. Should be here in a couple days.

Good eye on the MAF being missing. You'll need an IAT for sure, the MAF can be deleted if one truly wanted to do so.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.