Thread: LS427/570 tuning

LS427/570 tuning

Just checking to see if anyone has any experience with the new GM LS427 crate engine. It is basically a cammed LS7. I am assuming it comes with an E67, but I really have no experience with any of the GM crate motors.

I thought I had read that there were limitations to tuning the ECUs provided by GM with these engines. Is this true? Any issue doing basic tuning if I want to go with a bigger cam in the future?

Thanks
    Last edited by BMWMD82; 09-20-2021 at 11:50 PM.

So it seems like there is not much experience with this particular GMPP engine yet.

That said, I have been doing some reading on the other GMPP controllers, and it seems they are somewhat locked down as supplied by GMPP. I am going to assume the LS427 controller would be the same.

My thinking was that having a cammed LS7 with a GM calibration would be awesome and save me a lot of time, and I could still tweak it to my liking with HPT. Now I am wondering if using the supplied E67 and calibration is worth the hassle.

So my question is this: would I be able to simply write the ECU with an OS from the GMPP 430 Hp LS3, then copy over all my table values from the LS427 calibration?

Tuner in Training
    You can tune them and make changes just fine. They just don?t have certain features like PWM fans etc like factory ECM?s would.

It seems like many have issues doing simple things such as changing the idle speed with some of the GMPP controllers. That is my worry about going that route.

CPP (GMPP) made some changes to their programming in recent years, that makes using their control system less user friendly than it had previously been.

There is nothing "special" about the CPP programming - in fact, most of their Gen 4 (E67) "calibrations" operate in MAF mode only - which is not ideal, and something what an inexperienced tuner might have done. You would think that for the money that they charge customers, GM would at least provide a fully calibrated ECM (both MAF and VVE).

It is just as easy to use a wiring harness and ECM from an aftermarket supplier. There are many to choose from. Either an E38 ECM or an E67 ECM could be used.

There are also many knowledgeable professional tuners than could provide you with a project specific custom calibration - most often undertaken on a chassis dyno.

Thanks. I have been reading conflicting info, which is why I started this thread.

I am pretty competent tuning my own stuff, but thought it would make life easier to have a well mapped factory calibration if it is available. If it operates MAF only, then that takes away a lot of the incentive. I guess I assumed it would be on the same level as a production vehicle as far as tuning quality goes.

I guess the good news is that it is pretty much a stock LS7 with a mild cam upgrade. Should not be too hard to deal with.