Thread: 4L80e late model, hard 1st to 2nd shift!!!!!

4L80e late model, hard 1st to 2nd shift!!!!!

so my issue is this and it is just a shot in the dark, so i have a fully built 4L80e late model, and the issue is that when shifting 1st to 2nd shift hit hard! Like feels like its gonna rip the rear end out hard, and when it shifts it blows the tires off ( with street , PBR's, and slicks ) the only time it doesnt is at a really good prep track. can I adjust the shift timing to or something to maybe soften it just a bit?

here is the run down on my set up:
    03 4L80
    Ck performance D3 valve body (designed to run full trans pressure all the time)
    raybestus Carbon blue race clutches
    Roadrunner triple billet triple lock up converter
    billet shafts
    billet hubs

motor is
    6.0 bored .030
    ls3 824 heads
    BTR stage 3 turbo cam
    forged rods and pistons
    btr equalizer 3 intake
    88mm vsr billet t6 turbo

sorry no logs but I do have my current tune
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Spoolnsquirrels View Post
    (designed to run full trans pressure all the time)
    You really, really do not need to do that in a properly built unit no matter how much power. Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    You really, really do not need to do that in a properly built unit no matter how much power. Bad.
    All I know is the Ck performance D3 valve body with brake is designed and built to run full pressure all the time.

So... since you know that it was mechanically modified to provide this "feature", you should expect that nothing that you can do in the programming is going to have an affect here. A looser converter (that you can lock by 2nd @WOT, like what you have now) will eat up some of the hit and make life easier on the line.... I mean unless you can already sit at 4800 (whatever), but gear changes are usually like flipping a swtich with this mod.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    So... since you know that it was mechanically modified to provide this "feature", you should expect that nothing that you can do in the programming is going to have an affect here. A looser converter (that you can lock by 2nd @WOT, like what you have now) will eat up some of the hit and make life easier on the line.... I mean unless you can already sit at 4800 (whatever), but gear changes are usually like flipping a swtich with this mod.
    ok i was just wondering if speeding up the shift timing or slowing it down would make any difference. my current shift timing is .400 and i have see some tunes with a .300 and my 2nd to 3rd shift timing is in the mid .300's and it doesnt hit hard like the 1st to 2nd shift.

by the way i forgot my converter is fairlly loose and a 4000 stall.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoolnsquirrels View Post
    ok i was just wondering if speeding up the shift timing or slowing it down would make any difference. my current shift timing is .400 and i have see some tunes with a .300 and my 2nd to 3rd shift timing is in the mid .300's and it doesnt hit hard like the 1st to 2nd shift.

by the way i forgot my converter is fairlly loose and a 4000 stall.
    Won't make a difference. Shift solenoid is on or off.

You can add some shift torque reduction to cut some engine power during the shift at lower torque values.