Thread: Please help. I've tried everywhere and no one knows.

Potential Tuner

Please help. I've tried everywhere and no one knows.

I really hope this isn't a dumb question. I'm a mechanic working on a Saturn Sky with an LS3. I did not do any tuning at all on this car. But he won't pass emissions because almost all of the monitors have been switched to "not supported". How do I switch them back? I have the software. I've done tuning with other software. I can see how to turn on and off DTCs, but not readiness monitors. Any information would be great.
    Thank you,
    Matt

No one knows because no one has anything to look at. Post the tune file and a log.

Potential Tuner
    I don't have the slightest clue how to do that. There isn't a way to turn on and off readiness monitors? I find that hard to believe. Someone turned them off. How do you turn them on?

Click 'Go Advanced', scroll down and look for 'Manage Attachments'.

There is nothing in the editor for readiness monitors in HPT, outside of the DTC list. You disable a monitor by disabling the codes it uses to run the tests. And that means ALL the tests, even ones that might not be obviously related. Other tuning software might have... who knows what. It could even be running an OS custom modified for that platform/swap combo. Without the tune file to look at and see the DTCs, and the OS IDs, there is no way to know where to go next.

As a last ditch effort you may want to have someone with TechLineConnect just do a replace module program to the PCM/ECM appropriate VIN and start from there.

Senior Tuner
    Sometimes turning off a code by setting the code to No Error Reported but leaving the SES Enable box checked will let the readiness test run and show completed on some OS. You have an engine and ECM in that vehicle that it was never equipped with so without posting the hpt file one can only guess what is in it. And if it was a GM crate LS3 then the OS in those ECMs can be non standard compared to an OEM vehicle OS.

Potential Tuner
    first complete read.hpt

I hope this works. Here's the tune. I've also turned every single dtc on and it still says almost all the monitors are not supported. All I'm worried about is cat. Won't pass emissions if cat is not supported.
    Thanks,
    Matt

You have the same weird non-GM OS as in that Solstice thread I linked above.

Potential Tuner
    So can I just get a computer for a 2006 corvette from GM and load the tune?

Please re-read that thread again, and this time read far enough to get to the part where it's determined that the Solstice/Sky platforms with this swap are using a custom ECM calibration never offered in anything by GM, thus not available from SPS to program a different ECM.

Potential Tuner
    I did read until the end where he said that they were going to get another ecu. But you're saying that you can't? I guess I just don't understand what the ECM calibration has to do with getting the monitors to be supported. Is this guy screwed now? He'll never be able to pass emissions in Illinois? He said something about getting an ecu from autowerks? There's probably 10 different shops within 10 miles of me called autowerks. Lol.

The linked thread in post #7 should help you realize that the calibration in that E67 ECM, is a one of a kind custom job, where the fellow that built it "hid" the actual OS and segments in use, by renaming them (i.e. using a new number) in the raw Hex coding.

HP Tuners have never included the parameters for the Readiness Monitors / Tests in their software. Whether the specific readiness test is supported by the calibration, has nothing to do with how the DTCs are set - as you have learned on your own from experimentation.

It sounds like other software (not HP Tuners) has been used to disable the readiness tests.
    Last edited by Shrek; 09-30-2021 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typo