Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OS question re SD in a boosted application

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Please keep in mind that HP Tuners does NOT recommend flashing your vehicles ecm with someone elses file, you do so at your own risk and against our advice.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

That repository file shows OS of 12597120, but that number does not appear in the 'Complete History' list for that VIN (2GCEK13Z971125500) in TIS. Most-current OS is 12619624, which is what's in the OP's PCM right now. 12597120 has OS upgrades, 12619624 does not.

Not only will using someone else's file leave you with a VIN mismatch between the vehicle plate and the PCM, you may run into other modules in the truck that need the new VIN updated, most often the SDM (airbags) & BCM. If you don't have a OE-type scan tool that can reconfigure things you're up a creek. In a swap where none of that other crap is used it's not a big deal to write a different file but if it's an otherwise stock vehicle with all the original modules you will need to know what you're doing.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    That repository file shows OS of 12597120, but that number does not appear in the 'Complete History' list for that VIN (2GCEK13Z971125500) in TIS. Most-current OS is 12619624, which is what's in the OP's PCM right now. 12597120 has OS upgrades, 12619624 does not.

Not only will using someone else's file leave you with a VIN mismatch between the vehicle plate and the PCM, you may run into other modules in the truck that need the new VIN updated, most often the SDM (airbags) & BCM. If you don't have a OE-type scan tool that can reconfigure things you're up a creek. In a swap where none of that other crap is used it's not a big deal to write a different file but if it's an otherwise stock vehicle with all the original modules you will need to know what you're doing.
    Excellent- thank you so much!

It's a 31 year old pre-OBD Ford, so I think this is going to do the trick.

Tuner in Training
    It would- if I were willing to spend another $300 in "credits".

I'm not willing.

Any regular Joe off the street can buy a real J2534 pass-thru programming device (even fake Chinese J2534 devices work if you have the patience) and a SPS subscription (or, for older vehicles the included offline TIS2000 works fine) and not have to do it the wrong (and more expensive) way with the wrong tool that was never really meant to be used that way.

Tuner in Training
    Any regular Joe off the street can buy a real J2534 pass-thru programming device (even fake Chinese J2534 devices work if you have the patience) and a SPS subscription (or, for older vehicles the included offline TIS2000 works fine) and not have to do it the wrong (and more expensive) way with the wrong tool that was never really meant to be used that way.
    Sure. It certainly can be done- I'm just not going to spend another dime (and possibly more if it bricks at some point) when I can invest in a system that doesn't have these constraints, nor a learning curve that I have no interest in investing in.

Fair enough?

You've been a great help, and I appreciate it. It was my mistake assuming HPTuners had fleshed out the GM PCM as well as other tools used on OEM ECUs I've dealt with. My mistake.

For ~$100 you can buy a P59 pre-programmed with the correct tools to the VIN of your choice. You whine too much.

Tuner in Training
    For ~$100 you can buy a P59 pre-programmed with the correct tools to the VIN of your choice. You whine too much.
    Thanks for the judgement- we all need to be characterized by those with higher knowledge.

Internet talk.