Thread: Miss and Hesitation on 2014 Challenger

Potential Tuner

Post Miss and Hesitation on 2014 Challenger

Hey everyone.

I am having some issues trying to trouble shoot why my 2014 Challenger RT is missing/hesitation from 2000-2500rpm. Heres what I have tried so far. I have replaced the MAP sensor and intake manifold gaskets as i thought those might be the issue. They have helped some but the issue still persist. I am thinking that the issue might be injector related but I am not entirely sure since the issue happens at 2000-2500 and no where else in the RPM range. The car had a dyno tune put on in back in January of this year and it ran fine from January until I changed the spark plugs out in August. The car has 60,000 miles on it and I changed the plugs since the shop that did the tuning said they were a little dark. I initally put a set of Autolites gapped at 0.043in and they ran terrible. I then bought a set of NGKs and they were gapped at 0.043in to. I had thought I just got a bad set of plugs, which i did, and new ones would resolve the issue. The Autolites, when pulled from the motor, had various gaps and were not consistent. The problem with the miss/hesistation started subtle but has become more prominent since then. When you drive the car and hold it between 2000-2500rpm you can see the AFR spike to 16.1-16.5 and feel the miss as well. Other areas in the RPM range seem unaffected, however I have noticed the Long Term Fuel Trims seem to be all over the place. I have played with the tune file to take some spark out of the base and WOT spark tables but that did not help either. I also saw in the tune file that the shop still had the rear O2 sensors enabled, I went ahead and shut them off since the car has longtube headers on it. I am just a little lost and if anyone could help me narrow the problem down i would be greatly appreicated. In my mind a simple spark plug changed shouldnt of made the car start to run terrible and not like it had been. I will attach a log file below along with the mods done to the car.

Information: 2014 Challenger RT, 5.7 VVT HEMI, 6 speed Manual Trans
    Mods: Interia Motorsports Spartan Eagle Plus Cam, Borla XR1 Longtube Headers, Borla S-Type Exhaust, Mopar CAI, 180 deg Thermostat, Ported 5.7 Manifold, AEM Wideband
    In the tune file the problem can be seen from 42-55 seconds and also from 1:08-1:19 seconds.
    NOTE: if driven long enough in that trouble zone CELs will apprear on the ECM. Codes P113D, P113E, and P219A have appeared in the past.

JarrettPowell_2014Challenger_9.28.2021.hpl

Take a look at mechanical probems first. Fuel trims are way too offset from bank to bank. When you get a difference of 10% or more it seems like you could either have an injector problem, spark plugs, coil and worst case scenario the cam isn't installed correctly.

But also keep in mind in that area you are adding up to 25% in Long term fuel trims. Dial in your VE first before you start checking out the mechanical side.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram