Thread: 4l60e to 4l80e swap workaround or OS 24251063?

Tuner in Training

4l60e to 4l80e swap workaround or OS 24251063?

Hello,

This question has probably been answered before? I am not new to tuning but have been only been using HP occasionally for a couple of years, most of what I do is stand alone units. I am helping with a swap, this guy is using a new t42 TCM (he purchased it from a local parts store). The OS is 24251063 and has 4l60e gear ratios programmed in it. The thing drives like a toilet, the usual lock up, shift problems, lack of commanded gear control problems I have been reading about. Cannot find the same OS with a 4l80e to do a segment swap, if someone has this OS with an 80 can you please post it. If not how do I work around this problem? Has anyone done any work in Trans > General > Configuration? If so any success? Anyone know any other things that work? Any related Threads I should be reading?

Thank you!
    Merl

Segment swap is largely (though not always) a Gen 3 thing where the ECM and TCM were all in one box and there was only one file for both of them. With the Gen 4 and later stuff the TCM can be flashed on its own and except in very specific circumstances a segment swap does nothing that simply writing a different file will do.

That said, what ECM OS are you using? Are you able to post the file?

Tuner in Training
    Interesting, I was going to get a friend that works at a gm dealer flash the TCM if I can find a vin with a 4l80e trans. 2008 6.0l Silerado Stock.hpt

Tuner in Training
    The attached file is the original that I pulled on first read. Nothing modified at all. ECM OS 12622142 TCM OS 24251063

Is this a Silverado, Sierra, or a swap vehicle?

I don't have any tools for finding out what an unknown OS ID is from/for, but my intuition is telling me that a high number like 24251063 is going to be post-2009. With a 2008 ECM/OS you'll need a pre-2009 TCM OS for them to be able to talk to each other.

Tuner in Training
    From what I understand the engine is out of a 2008 2500 Silverado, the ecm is out of a 1500 Sierra, the transmission is out of a 2001 2500 Savana and the tcm was a new unit purchased to fit an 08 (I talked with the parts guy who sold the unit a couple of days ago and I believe he said that unit should fit 05-13 if not mistaken). I guess I will get my buddy to come flash the tcm, I am hoping the vin from the ecm has a MT1 rpo code for the transmission? Sorry for the misspelled and mislabeled hpt file.

The VIN in the ECM was a 6L80E. I would try the 2008 Express van 4L80E TCM: 2008 Express 1GCGG25C481106014 4.8 4L80E - TCM OS 24239927.hpt

There is no such thing as a TCM OS that works from 05-13. The physical TCM hardware will work across those years, but not the OS. There was a break point in... 2009? where the ECM/TCM comms protocol changed and early won't talk to late and late won't talk to early, they have to match. I think the break was when the ECMs went from 63lb injector limit to 127lb, which was mid-2009.

Again, is this a swap vehicle with only ECM/TCM communication to worry about or is there a BCM/IPC/SDM/ABS/etc.?

Tuner in Training
    Perfect, thank you for the van info. Interesting and useful info!! yes this is all going into a 55 chev delivery.

If you have access to SPS just do the TCM using the Express VIN, don't mess with HPT and licensing the whole file first.

Tuner in Training
    I have already licensed the original tunes. I am not sure what that is (SPS), can you explain in more detail? Is this something I can purchase?

Service Programming System. Your friend with the dealer-type programming stuff will know what it is.

Tuner in Training
    I finally got everything in order and got my friend over and did the flash using the VIN you provided, Haha it works! We went out for a bit of a drive and before we drove back rolled on the throttle, it felt really good, shifted good and pulled hard. Story doesn't end there, he let off and tried to get on the throttle again, no throttle. Pulled over and had a P0606 code. We sat there with the key off for a minute while we checked any obvious grounds and powers, found nothing, started it back up and it ran fine. After we got it back to his garage I cleared the codes and logged the car without it running playing with the throttle. If the throttle is stabbed all the way to 100% no codes, no problems, no limp mode. Rolling on the throttle slowly between 79.9% and 80% throttle it drops to 36.1% or 39.1% (can't remember which) doesn't matter what you do will not increase above the limp throttle. If you sit with the key off for a couple of minutes it starts and works great until you get to the 80ish% range then goes again to limp I guess. If codes are cleared works good to the same problem range. The throttle pedal is for a 2006 Corvette. I haven't had a chance to look too deep into this yet. Any suggestions, thinking that it's a problem with programming related to the pedal?

What ECM service number?

Do you have another scan tool other than HPT, just to verify the code is P0606 and not P060D?

If it really is P0606, and you have the APP/TB pinned correctly per the new Express OS, AND you have not altered any of the throttle map tables that have the warning flags on them, I'd try programming the ECM again with the same VIN.

Tuner in Training
    I am sorry I don't know where to find the service number? Is this listed in the "Tune Details"?
    I do have another scanner I can hook up next time I am there. The code was there the first time I plugged into the it. The guy that owns the car did all of the wiring himself using a painless harness, I have found and corrected a couple of small issues with it. I think I have a pedal out of an 08 truck I was thinking of plugging in next time I go to his place.

Tuner in Training
    It has been quite a while, finally got back to this project. The code is P0606 with multiple scan tools, the harness is a painless harness. I tested with a APP from a 08 truck, that is a match to the year of the computer and pinned that way, he had a c6 pedal in it as per the painless instructions and pinned the way the instructions said. Sitting not running KOEO AP is at 18.8%, TP is at 30.6%, Relative throttle position is at 17% and command throttle actuator is at 17.3%. When actually looking at the throttle body if the code is cleared with it at pedal on the floor the throttle plate opens all the way AP-77.3% TP-83.1% RTP 69.4% CTA-100%. If you let go of the pedal at any speed slower then a complete release it slams with the pedal held the moment it slams shut AP-72.9% TP-38.8% RTP 25.1% CTA-36.1%. Slowly pushing the pedal stopping the moment it slams shut AP-64.3% TP-% RTP 69.4% CTA-100%. So it seems to work perfectly if you slam the pedal and slip your foot off completely. I am going to try another throttle body and keep you posted. Any comments or help would be appreciated.

Tuner in Training
    I hope this works here is a screen shot of the freeze frames.Screenshot 2022-06-03 125137.png This is with the engine off obviously. I changed the throttle actuator, nothing different. Slam the pedal to the floor and release it fast no codes. Slow movement P0606 either way every time.tune to post.hpt Here is the tune in the car right now, any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    What ECM service number?

Do you have another scan tool other than HPT, just to verify the code is P0606 and not P060D?

If it really is P0606, and you have the APP/TB pinned correctly per the new Express OS, AND you have not altered any of the throttle map tables that have the warning flags on them, I'd try programming the ECM again with the same VIN.
    I missed this, I will check if he can do the ECM now. In a post further up I realize we just did the TCM.

Tuner in Training
    So I got the ECM programmed with the SPS from GM to the same vin. I copied all the the tables over to make it compatible to the 6.0l, runs and drives nice. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem but it did make it different. It only throws the code if you accelerate at the correct speed. Any ideas????

Tuner in Training
    hey just thought i would close the topic, thanks for the great advice on this one. i finished it up some time ago.... here is what i did, where you are advised to not reprogram the throttle map or you can damage the computer. I lab scoped every thing i could on different vehicles with the same components as used in the swap, rewrote that area and it worked!