Thread: E40 PCM with Card style maf Conversion

Tuner in Training

E40 PCM with Card style maf Conversion

I?m new to tuning (please bear with me) So I have this build where the only way for me to have hood clearance is by running a card style maf. Everything is stock including the intake which Came off a later model Z06. (No cai)

Only things modified where the valve springs and high volume oil pump.

I got the wiring down for the ls2 to ls3 maf connector, so I know that isnt the issue.

The issue Im having is the HPT options for the e40 pcm where the maf hz only go to 12200 and for the ls3 the frequency goes to 15500hz. With the maf plugged in it surges.

What would be the first areas I should look at?
    Do I need to modify the IAT table or the ve table the air frequency tables. Fuel tables?

The car idles perfectly when the maf is unplugged leaving me to believe my SD table is operating fine.

I need it to idle smoothly just enough for me to drive her. I pretty much understand how to capture the cells when scanning the vehicle and multiply everything by half etc..
    Last edited by tlkfromdababay; 10-02-2021 at 04:23 AM.

Potential Tuner
    you need to know the mixture you have now to know if it will increase fuel or if it will decrease
    check fuel air
    I need to know what the engine is and I have the file
    Last edited by impactox; 10-02-2021 at 05:12 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Find a car that uses the part number on the MAF you are using. Download a tune from the repository for that car and input the IAT data from that tune into your IAT table on the E40. You may need to update the Ohms axis of the IAT table as well. After that just tune the MAF tables as usual.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by impactox View Post
    you need to know the mixture you have now to know if it will increase fuel or if it will decrease
    check fuel air
    I need to know what the engine is and I have the file
    It?s a 6.0l Ls2 from a 2005 corvette Z06. I going to upload a base scan of the file later today to show what readings I?m getting if it continues to surge.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by eXo3901 View Post
    Find a car that uses the part number on the MAF you are using. Download a tune from the repository for that car and input the IAT data from that tune into your IAT table on the E40. You may need to update the Ohms axis of the IAT table as well. After that just tune the MAF tables as usual.
    I will attempt this method and see what comes out about it.

You mentioned updating the ohms axis, does this mean increasing the the table (multiplying it) or populating the cells to be close to identical from a repository file?

There is more than one 'card style MAF', what part number did you use?

Think about it this way ....

You have a 2005 Corvette (E40 ECM) and you replaced the Gen 3 / LS2 tube style MAF Sensor, with a blade / cartridge style MAF Sensor from a 2009 LS3 Corvette (E38 ECM).

As a starting point, use the IAT Sensor and MAF Sensor calibration data from a 2009 LS3 Corvette tune. The data will need to be extrapolated / interpolated - as the table cell breakpoints will be different.

In your E40 ECM calibration - look at tables ECM 12161, 12162, and 14100.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    There is more than one 'card style MAF', what part number did you use?
    The maf im using part number is 15865791 (I?m currently using this one)

I also bought a second maf with the part #
    M3393 102041 12-14V

I?m thinking the one I?m using is good for what I?m trying to tune it for, really just need a good starting point so I can drive her from the maf

Tuner in Training
    I ended up editing tables ECM 12161, 12162, and 14100.

Do you interpolate table 14100 or just literally copy paste?

If your talking about frequency (hz) the E40 pcm stops at 12,200 (hz) and it?s broken into two tables (low/high frequency) as opposed to the 09 corvette stops at 15,000 (hz) and it has only one frequency table. When I copy and paste the table for the high frequency it?s stops me at 668.9 LB/h at 12,200 vs. 14,907.8 at 15,000 LBH. If I interpolate it I get 4,063 Lbs. Is that safe to start with?
    Last edited by tlkfromdababay; 10-06-2021 at 01:52 AM.

You cannot simply copy and paste ....

Take a look at the MAF Sensor table breakpoints - between a 2005 LS2 Corvette E40 ECM and a 2009 LS3 Corvette E38 ECM - they are completely different.

You will need to come up with a "curve of best fit" - for both MAF tables (low & high) in the E40 ECM calibration. Again, this will only provide you with a reasonable starting point - to be followed by in vehicle tuning.

Tuner in Training
    i can helping you with creating your maf curve. it wont be perfect but it'll get you running.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by natricjol View Post
    i can helping you with creating your maf curve. it wont be perfect but it'll get you running.
    Yes please, I want to see what would be a safe start point

The problem I keep coming across is the 12,000hz vs. 15,000hz for the card style MAF. Should my last cell replicate 14,907.8 lb/h for 15,000hz in the cell under 12,000hz or should I fill in each lb/h cell closest to the values that gets maxed out at 12,000hz in the E40 PCM?
    Last edited by tlkfromdababay; 10-25-2021 at 01:05 AM.