Thread: 2013 Chevy Sonic 1.4 - Controller Unlocker: timed out

Potential Tuner

2013 Chevy Sonic 1.4 - Controller Unlocker: timed out

I was flashing a tune yesterday when during the erase portion it hung for a few seconds then timed out. I double checked my connections, turned off the car and attempted the tune again. With it timing out immediately. I?ve changed computers, cables, ran Editor in Administrator mode and I have a support ticket in the queue right now. I even changed the car battery.

When I turn the car to the second position it shows no fuel, the traction control, a steering wheel with an exclamation point. I am kind of at a loss of what I should do next.

Potential Tuner
    hey, I was able to run the scanner. and its showing P0603 and U0100. did I brick my Computer or is it the interface thats the problem?

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like it's toast. U0100 means another module (probably the TCM) couldn't communicate with the ECM. Are you running the latest version of the software?

Potential Tuner
    Yes. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the vcm suite. I am running a 6speed manual so I don?t believe I have a Tcm.

Let?s say I did Brick the computer. What would I have to do to get a new one installed. The auto parts store nearby has the computer on hand, but wouldn?t I have to have GM flash it to my vin?

Advanced Tuner
    What would I have to do to get a new one installed.
    You need to have a dealership, or someone with a J2534 device and GM SPS2 subscription program the ECM. This step puts the correct calibration in it, along with the VIN. Then, you need to perform an immobilizer learn. This also requires J2534 / GM SPS2. Then, because your vehicle has a manual transmission, you'll need to perform a clutch pedal position learn procedure (J2534 / GM SPS2), and finally a CASE learn (J2534 / GM SPS2, some aftermarket tools like Modis can do this also).

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    You need to have a dealership, or someone with a J2534 device and GM SPS2 subscription program the ECM. This step puts the correct calibration in it, along with the VIN. Then, you need to perform an immobilizer learn. This also requires J2534 / GM SPS2. Then, because your vehicle has a manual transmission, you'll need to perform a clutch pedal position learn procedure (J2534 / GM SPS2), and finally a CASE learn (J2534 / GM SPS2, some aftermarket tools like Modis can do this also).
    So I'm looking at having to take it to a dealership. Would they even touch my car with a downpipe and an upgraded wastegate actuator?

Advanced Tuner
    So I'm looking at having to take it to a dealership. Would they even touch my car with a downpipe and an upgraded wastegate actuator?
    It depends on the dealer. In the GM V8 section, people have reported that dealerships refuse to do even the immobilizer relearn that's required on the E90 unlock/exchange service. I suppose all you can do is try and hope they'll be helpful.

Advanced Tuner
    Where are you located?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillactech View Post
    Where are you located?
    Saint Paul Minnesota

Potential Tuner
    Update: New ECU installed, car runs perfect. I have not recieved a reply from Support since I made my original post. I am not impressed. I'd love to tune my car, but I need to know if its an issue with my interface before I do anything else.