Thread: 2019 Sierra L84 questions

Potential Tuner

2019 Sierra L84 questions

Hey everyone, im super new to this tuning stuff. Like beyond new.

I have a 2019 sierra with an l84 and 8 speed.

Im doing a minor na build to it, mostly to get rid of the dod.

Long tubes, cam, l86 intake, xpipe and dual 3" catless exhaust. I think thats all i plan on doing for mods right now. Eventually id like to boost it in some way (undecided, plus if im still kickin).

Im unfortunatly unable to do most of the physical mods myself as im stage 4 cancer and in not great shape still, im having this done to just add a bit more enjoyment.

Id like to do the ecm exchange and all that myself, so i dont feel totally out of touch on the build, so when it goes to the shop for the engine work all he has to do is hook up and tune it afterwards(is that the better way to go about this?)

The whole ecm exchange and stuff has me confused, and i dont want to screw anything up.

The mpvi2+, can i buy just that or do i need the pro right out the gate?

Id like to have the option of remote tuning later down the road when i mod further, plan on keeping this truck for the rest of my life.

It says theres a immobilizer relearn that needs to be done. How does that get done? Will a dealer do it or can i get the stuff to do that myself as well?

I just realized they have the 8 speed/10 speed unlocked finally, the t87a, is that for my transmission? And if so, should i get that done too?

Basically, id like to do the ecm exchange and all that ahead of the parts going on, and just have it driving like stock until i get back home to get the parts put on. Is that an option, or will it just be better if i get the shop to do everything for me?

I have a lot of free time, and dont mind learning and buying some stuff as im bored out of my effin mind.

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Advanced Tuner
    The mpvi2+, can i buy just that or do i need the pro right out the gate?
    You don't need the Pro version to tune your truck.

It says theres a immobilizer relearn that needs to be done. How does that get done? Will a dealer do it or can i get the stuff to do that myself as well?
    A dealer, or someone with a J2534 device and a GM SPS2 subscription will have to do this. Several people in this forum have said the dealer refuses to do it, it'll come down to individual dealerships.

I just realized they have the 8 speed/10 speed unlocked finally, the t87a, is that for my transmission? And if so, should i get that done too?
    You do not have a T87A. You have a T93, and there is no unlock for those.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks man, crap i kinda figured it wasnt my transmission, but was hoping it was. Ah well, maybe one day.

Thank you for the info, i spoke to my installer and he has or has access to the mpvi2+ as well as the gm tool, so thats a big bonus!!

I think i will still get myself an mpvi2+ anyways, just so i can kinda learn some things, plus, the ability for remote tuning if needed would be amazing since i live in the middle of no where.

Thank you for the reply, really appreciate it.

You can contact HP Tuners directly about this too but this should work, from a previous email I got it said that for new customers who bought a MPVI2 that they would include the E90 exchange for free with the credit purchase.

Here is the information from my email.

HP Tuners offers exclusive support with the E90 ? L84 / L87 ECM Exchange Service giving users the ability to tune their 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra, 5.3L & 6.2L V8!

This service normally costs $699.99, but you can get it for FREE with a qualifying purchase of 8 Credits and an MPVI2+.

To qualify for this deal, go add the Exchange Service to your cart along with the MPVI2+ and 8 Credits and it'll automatically zero out.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I have a 2019 l84 5.3 rom a Silverado, It came with the E92 PCM. I got a E90 and programmed it for my engine. It was easier than unlocking the E92. (6L80E tranny)

Advanced Tuner
    You mean to say you replaced the E90 with an E92 (I went back and looked at your previous posts) for your swap project.

Unfortunately the OP can't do that. Aside from having to swap the entire engine harness, the E92 won't talk to his TCM.

HP Tuners offers exclusive support with the E90 ? L84 / L87 ECM Exchange Service giving users the ability to tune their ?2019+ Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra, 5.3L & 6.2L V8!

This service normally costs $699.99, but you can get it for FREE with a qualifying purchase of 8 Credits and an MPVI2+.

To qualify for this deal, go add the Exchange Service to your cart along with the MPVI2+ and 8 Credits and it'll automatically zero out.?

Kinda wish hptuners would do some kind of discount for us ppl that already own hptuners not to sound cheap lol and the other crappy part is the T93 tcm is not cracked yet supposedly ?Houston house of power? can do it but I have yet to hear back from them with details. I?m ready to send in the ecm but would like to do tcm at same time sadly.
    Last edited by 15ltz6.2; 10-04-2021 at 07:40 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    the other crappy part is the T93 tcm is not cracked yet supposedly ?Houston house of power? can do it
    No, they haven't cracked anything. They found a way to make a T87A work in place of a T93 in select applications. The 2019+ Silverado is not one of them...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    You mean to say you replaced the E90 with an E92 (I went back and looked at your previous posts) for your swap project.

Unfortunately the OP can't do that. Aside from having to swap the entire engine harness, the E92 won't talk to his TCM.
    Yes, you are correct, my E90 was locked so Kyle from LSX Specialties programmed a E92 to work with my engine and 6L80E. I did get the harness from him also.
    (Now I'll have a E90 and stock harness in a box)

No, they haven't cracked anything. They found a way to make a T87A work in place of a T93 in select applications. The 2019+ Silverado is not one of them...
    Have you heard if there’s any chance it will include the Silverado? I’d think if they can get it to work on the Camaro like there website says they can get it to work with trucks. Maybe hptuners is working on something similar? Fingers crossed

Advanced Tuner
    The only reason it works on the Camaro is because the Camaro at one point had a T87A and the E92 software is compatible with it. The new Silverado never had this, hence, the E90 software won't talk to a T87A in this application. On top of that, the transmission in the new Silverado has a different configuration for the shifter position reporting than the T87A transmission did, so it's unlikely this will ever work because of that, also. So, no, this will probably never work.

As for whether the hpt engineers are working on T93 support or not, that's a question for them to answer, but they haven't said much about it that I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 15ltz6.2 View Post
    Have you heard if there?s any chance it will include the Silverado? I?d think if they can get it to work on the Camaro like there website says they can get it to work with trucks. Maybe hptuners is working on something similar? Fingers crossed
    Hhp does support the Silverado now if they didn?t then. I just put one in an e90 Silverado and working as it should. Just to update this tread for people.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    That's just substituting a T87A for the original T93 though, right? Did you have to modify the transmission to make that work?

That's just substituting a T87A for the original T93 though, right? Did you have to modify the transmission to make that work?
    Yes and it is just plug and play on it. Didn?t have to do anything to valve body like if you use a stock tcm. Hhp has figured something out no one else has that?s for sure making this work on all platforms now.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150