Thread: 2002 Suburban 1500 5.3L - Needing Cruise/Idle Help - BTR Stage 2 Truck Cam/Springs

Tuner in Training

2002 Suburban 1500 5.3L - Needing Cruise/Idle Help - BTR Stage 2 Truck Cam/Springs

Hello, Everyone.

I just finished installing the BTR Truck Stage 2 Kit.
    Specs:
    TruckStage2.png

I had to open the engine to replace the valve stem seals, so it seemed like an opportune time to upgrade the cam/springs.

My tunes and logs are attached for each mod that has been done so far.

I have purchased a wideband (AEM 30-0334) and will try to install it today if needed, however, it will have to go into Bank 1 or Bank 2 sensor bung because I don't have the means of welding a new bung specifically for it just yet.

I used a cam calculator and came up with -7 Degrees Overlap.

Edit: I am attempting Speed/Density tuning and it's going a lot better.

Idle and cruising conditions are coming together nicely.

I'll post the updated htp/hpl files for review at a later date.
    Last edited by leciphern; 10-05-2021 at 03:08 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, after a few weeks of playing with the VE table (narrow-band still), this is what I've come up with.

I've resorted to not using any smoothing functions on the VE table because it seems to sometimes null out my previous edits.

So if I see some cells that are rich/lean in VCM Scanner, I only edit those specific cells in the editor.

If anyone can peek at my tune/log I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance...

Also, this engine was swapped before I purchased the vehicle. It's supposed to be Flex Fuel, but I need to put eyes on the part number of the injectors to see if they are the correct ones.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by leciphern; 10-21-2021 at 08:22 AM.
    2002 Suburban 5.3L (BTR V2 Stage II Truck Cam Kit) | 4L60E (Corvette Servo)

I strongly suggest putting on a wideband and then tuning it using lambda error instead of fuel trims. 4-5 drivability logs and you will have the VE table dialed in, another 4-5 logs and the maf will be good.
    Owner/Tuner@Evolution Automotive Performance
    Lincoln, Ne

Tuner in Training
    ^^ Thanks.

I need to crawl under and actually look at it.

But from what google shows, there's only a small stretch of pipe on each side where the wideband could be installed for continual use with the narrow-bands in place. Even so, would it even be the correct distance away from the exhaust ports?

Screenshot 2021-10-21 091628.jpg

I guess if I wanted to install it in the B1 S1 bung, I would just remove the narrow-band (set aside safely) and disable it in VCM Editor.

Could the truck remain completely functional with just one narrow-band sensor in B2 S1 and the wideband in the other?

Trying to figure out if I really want to take the time to properly mount the digital gauge in the truck for continual use.

Potential Tuner
    Here is the file off my daily driver 04 suburban. 5.3 flex fuel, 862's with .040 off. BTR stage 2 truck cam with 550 springs. Built 60e. VE and MAF are dialed tits. Running it kinda rich on the top end with a bit of timing (never hooked a wideband to it), but it screams and does good on gas considering 37" tires. Other than DBW and injector size, we should be very close in airflow. Hope this helps.

burb final.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Cool. Thanks

I'll compare and see what you've got going.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo8john View Post
    I strongly suggest putting on a wideband and then tuning it using lambda error instead of fuel trims. 4-5 drivability logs and you will have the VE table dialed in, another 4-5 logs and the maf will be good.
    I don't even look at lambda error until I am doing WOT tuning, which is the last thing I tune. Idle, Low load, then mid load then higher load and decel in closed loop. Speed density first, then the MAF. For initial startup until I get the engine running well enough to be driveable it is often MAF only for me. Once I get the idle airflow tables dialed in, I go to speed density tuning the VE tables in closed loop. I command low timing until I get the fueling close then do work on the spark advance.

Startup with the dynamic blend disabled above 400 rpm. 11:1 383 with aluminum heads flowing ~300 cfm and a 218/228 @ 0.050 on a 108 LSA cam. 48 lb/hr spider. Open loop and open headers just because.

https://youtu.be/FzEDpuSIwJc

Tuner in Training
    Hello, Everyone.

It's been a while since I've done anything other than driving the suburban.

I still have not hooked the wideband to it, but the vehicle is working good enough for daily driving.

There is one thing that I'd like to pick your brains on though.

When the AC is on with the vehicle in Drive (holding the brakes at a stop light), sometimes the idle will hunt if I'm sitting longer than 10 seconds.

Please forgive my chicken scratch as I forgot to log, gear selection, and a few other things.
    Screenshot 2022-04-20 224019.jpg

It's been doing this for a while and what usually do to remedy the idle hunt is just turn the AC to off until I start moving again.
    (it never does it with the AC off)

Another thing that I have found is that if I give a very small blip to the accelerator (while my foot is still on the brake) it will stop the hunting.

As always, thanks in advance.

Tuner in Training
    I raised the Base Idle (AC On) a bit and it corrected the hunting.