Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to soften shifts

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Are you talking about the timing pull between shifts?

That is normal and you do want that.

Side note, this thing is commanding a lot of fuel for a NA cam build. I'd want a wideband on this stat to fix the fueling.
    The only problem with a wideband is I wouldn't know what to do with it if I had it. lol. I'm assuming that my tuner knows of this and so I wonder why isn't he concerned? One thing is I made 438 rwhp and was hoping for around 450. Would you think that is hurting it all that much?
    Last edited by morepowerjoe; 10-07-2021 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    You create it in the scanner. Start right clicking and exploring the menus. Can do heaps of shit with it.
    So is that graph from my log?

Senior Tuner
    Yep, your log.

Tip, Don't ever touch open loop fuelling without a wideband.

I've been playing around with the scanner stuff but can't seem to figure out how to get that graph you pulled.

ok so I think that I see the timing pull during the shift. Is that something that I want like 5FDP said? Because I didn't see that before I enabled TR.
    Last edited by morepowerjoe; 10-07-2021 at 03:48 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Yeah.

Hey thanks for all your help.

Advanced Tuner
    I would raise the Base Spark table (this is used as a minimum timing floor) to somewhere around 0-5 degrees so it doesn't pull so much on shifts. It dips down around -10 degrees on shifts.

Start logging shift times. Look in your scanner for latest shift time, and choose them all 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, etc.... This way we can help you to see if the shifts are sloppy, and if future changes help/hurt completed shift times

Quote Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
    I would raise the Base Spark table (this is used as a minimum timing floor) to somewhere around 0-5 degrees so it doesn't pull so much on shifts. It dips down around -10 degrees on shifts.

Start logging shift times. Look in your scanner for latest shift time, and choose them all 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, etc.... This way we can help you to see if the shifts are sloppy, and if future changes help/hurt completed shift times
    Where do I find the base spark table? Under Engine, Spark and then what?

Having -5 to -10 degrees on the shift is not a problem, to me that helps extend transmission life on stock units.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    Having -5 to -10 degrees on the shift is not a problem, to me that helps extend transmission life on stock units.
    Agreed.

Well I hate the way if shifts with the timing pull. It's just to aggressive.

Senior Tuner
    Your trans. Your wallet. Put it to how you like it. Enough info on this forum to search through to build your knowledge and tweak. Not something you'll male 1 change and be done with. Will take months to learn just the basics. Or take it to a trans tuner.

So I've decided to not use the torque reduction. Like I said I just don't like the timing pull on shifts I just think it's too aggressive. So with that being said, is there a way to soften the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts without using torque reduction? Like maybe using the inertia factor profile like Lone_mfkn_wolf said?

Also I'm blowing past my wot shift point, way past it. If someone could help with that also it would be most appreciated. Thanks

wot pull.hplmy base tune.hpt
    Last edited by morepowerjoe; 10-10-2021 at 04:10 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    Also I'm blowing past my wot shift point, way past it. If someone could help with that also it would be most appreciated. Thanks

wot pull.hplmy base tune.hpt
    Use shift torque management and try lowering your shift MPH.

Advanced Tuner
    You could just keep guessing at it, or research it and take advice.

I'm wondering if my going over the wot rpm is when I'm losing traction?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    I'm wondering if my going over the wot rpm is when I'm losing traction?
    Quote Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
    You could just keep guessing at it, or research it..

I'm not sure how the timing pull is too aggressive. That is a factory setting to have it pull power away.

My opinion is that your shift times are too fast as well. I stop at .3000 and you are way down to .2200 and .2000. The less rpm and torque the higher I have the times as well. For part throttle I am at .4000-.4500 beacause I don't need it at .3000 or lower there.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I'm not sure how the timing pull is too aggressive. That is a factory setting to have it pull power away.

My opinion is that your shift times are too fast as well. I stop at .3000 and you are way down to .2200 and .2000. The less rpm and torque the higher I have the times as well. For part throttle I am at .4000-.4500 beacause I don't need it at .3000 or lower there.
    Ah I see. You got to remember that I'm starting out with two tuners modifications to my tune so I don't know what all they did. I've been comparing a stock tune file to mine but I don't really know what is too much and what isn't. Thank you for taking the time to actually look at my tune I really appreciate it. So that must be why I think the timing pull is too aggressive because it's shifting so fast the timing pull just doesn't have enough time to complete the process. So if you were me would you return all the shift times to stock and start over or just start raising the values to a higher number like say .3000? Thanks