Thread: Newbie with questions

Newbie with questions

Hello all, I am brand new to tuning. My first question is when you read or I guess copy the stock tune. Does it actually pull the tune out of the ecu, or is it just a copy? Will the vehicle still run and drive? Thank you

Think of it as a copy. Then you can view that file and make changes to it and write over the existing file.

Always save the stock file twice incase you ever had revert back to it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thank you for the quick reply. So it's a copy and not the actual tune? So it can start and be driven with the tune copied.

Correct. It will work as normal if all you did was read the file.

You can't actually remove the file from the computer permanently, well there are ways to make the computer a door stop but that isn't a common problem people have.

I say the above applies to most computers. Some vehicles require unlock services and or a whole new computer to even read them. So you'd need to do your research on the main website to see if your vehicle requires that service first. Some stuff for Dodge also require a special cable to read the computer too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thank you.