Thread: idle spark and getting ready for the track

idle spark and getting ready for the track

I got two questions
    1. my timing at idle jumps around +/-5* I have tried lowering my idle timing, still moves around, and double checked my BRAF, seems ok. I didn't think its normal for it to move around that much? From what I have read it shouldn't but maybe 5* is not considered a lot. You can see it in the idle braf log
    2. I'm going to the track next weekend to work on my timing table and was wondering about lower rpm timing at WOT. Right now it drops to 15* off the line and then works up. Should that area have more timing so I don't have a dip? You can see it in the driveworkl log at the 12:41 mark
    Set up is lq4 with 231/234 cam and 3400 stalled converter.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You'll never get a flat timing line with a camshaft like that, it's always going to move around and if it's only +/- 5 degrees that is pretty low. Some guys will have a larger swing for more choppy chop.

That camshaft may want higher idle timing too, like 22 or 24 degrees. You can also lower the underpeed spark correct to match the other table. One at -9 and the other at +9 instead of +14.

Play with the timing at the track, see if it makes any differences to have a few more degrees in it when you punch it off the line.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Ok thanks. I will stop chasing my tail on the idle, I dropped it from 24 to 19 to see if it would change.
    Would 20-24* be crazy off the line? I'm not sure what's normal in that area.

Advanced Tuner
    dmax you might want to enable the ETC in Systems tab. These channels may help. It looks like the air flow registration is off.
    Attached Files Attached Files