Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ZF8HP70 fails 1>2 shift under WOT

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiastic View Post
    Yes, correct for flow.
    The automatic trans calibration procedure has to be done whenever there are changes like a rebuild including replacement of the clutches, valve body, or other modifications. Normally the trans builder/installer will perform this but it was not done successfully in my case. It shifted very badly. I ran the calibration and that totally resolved the issue. The trans temp needs to be at least 130 degrees for the calibration to perform. I did not do a recalibration after the latest engine tune that added another 120+ HP with the smaller Whipple pulley.
    You bring up an interesting point on the calibration procedure. When I was having my 1>2 shift issues I performed the Adaptive Reset (via HPtuners) but don't recall using AlfaOBD to perform the Quick Learn as explained in this vid,
    https://youtu.be/wDmrLD3ph0s?si=zJTl1SpqmQvxQT16

I'll keep this procedure in mind as I've shipped my tranny off for a rebuild, which will include a custom-spec converter.

Ive done the trans adaptive reset, and although ahifts feel firmer, it never fixed the problem. As of now, i have all my shifts above 5k rpm shift as though i had my car in sport mode, with factory sport mode pressures and everything, and also have a butt load of torque managment pulling power, but even with all of this, shifts still seem to nick the limiter, even though its pulling timing, and closeing the throttlebody
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    92mm hellcat throttlebody
    ported 392 intake manifold
    ported eagle heads
    Cammotion custom 222/234 cam
    stainless works long tube headers and catless mid pipes
    3' catback with h-pipe & pypes violator mufflers
    e-85 tuned
    3.70 lsd

Advanced Tuner
    post a log of it doing that slicked down on a drag strip

not at the drag strip, couldnt start in 2nd if i wanted, let alone 1st, but was doing some data logging to see what the trans was doing, and also some fuel and spark adjustments, but should be enough info.
    1-20-2024.hpl
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    ported eagle heads
    e-85 tuned
    3.70 lsd

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by james1595 View Post
    but should be enough info
    enough info to do what?

To see why its not shifting properly. I know it wasnt first, but should give an insight to what its doing
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    ported eagle heads
    e-85 tuned
    3.70 lsd

Advanced Tuner
    if its running into the rev limiter at the top of low gear (instead of shifting into 2nd) the car needs to be on slicks and on a prepped track and at a dead stop in low gear when ya leave and collect data

there is no way around it

Quote Originally Posted by shak3r View Post
    You bring up an interesting point on the calibration procedure. When I was having my 1>2 shift issues I performed the Adaptive Reset (via HPtuners) but don't recall using AlfaOBD to perform the Quick Learn as explained in this vid,
    https://youtu.be/wDmrLD3ph0s?si=zJTl1SpqmQvxQT16

I'll keep this procedure in mind as I've shipped my tranny off for a rebuild, which will include a custom-spec converter.
    Awesome. Good luck on your rebuild and torque converter. I assume they chose the spec converter for your horsepower and the stall best matched to your cam operating range, duration, and driving application. For consistency and compatibility with whatever fluid they use, you may want to ask them which fluid they will be using or recommend for the build to avoid possible issues. Also, find out if they upgrade the frictions/steels, and if they modify the valve body with a zip kit for improvement in E clutch operation. Some will even upgrade the E clutch to billet steel at a higher price if you have higher horsepower plans.

Yes, I used HPTuners for the relearn using VCM scanner, Controls & Special functions, Trans Fast Relearn:
    https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm-sc...fast_learn.htm

I do not have the $50 windows or android based AlfaODB scanner application but it may be interesting to check out. I do have XTool D8BT, a dedicated Android based scanner. I did not notice a trans relearn feature under special functions.

Ive done the trans adaptive reset, and although ahifts feel firmer, it never fixed the problem. As of now, i have all my shifts above 5k rpm shift as though i had my car in sport mode, with factory sport mode pressures and everything, and also have a butt load of torque managment pulling power, but even with all of this, shifts still seem to nick the limiter, even though its pulling timing, and closeing the throttlebody
    Sorry to hear that.

I went the tune route at first, with many attempts and no success. Then I did the hardware route with the rebuild and limited success. Further tune attempts to tweak the tune with the new hardware, and still no success.

I know that wheel spin is not helping me and sometimes disabling traction control helps. Traction control, aka "computer controlled wheel braking of the lost traction wheel" at straight-line WOT just seems wrong. The science evades me how that is good for your clutches and helping with the next shift. A second opinion on the tune can't hurt so I am still being optimistic and this forum is great.

I can see it now, a brake pedal for each rear wheel, managed by a human traction control engineer, who is also the co-pilot on the passenger side. At WOT, the pilot yells out, quick, hit the left rear brake, its starting to spin, no . . now quick hit the right brake, no . . . your too slow and not listening, hit both brakes and I will turn on the nitrous . BOOM. Let's blame it on . . . we don't have traction and need 315s.
    Last edited by Enthusiastic; 01-22-2024 at 08:00 PM.

What would slicks do any different than a street tire if it doesnt spin? Ive been to the track and it didnt matter if i spun or not, still didnt shift until ibhit the limiter
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    ported eagle heads
    e-85 tuned
    3.70 lsd

What would slicks do any different than a street tire if it doesnt spin? Ive been to the track and it didnt matter if i spun or not, still didnt shift until ibhit the limiter
    Yes. We both agree. Like you, in anticipation of someone telling us your problem is (the commonly used statement), "you don't have 315s and your not running on a sticky track". That's why I added it to the joke

[EDIT - COMMENT UPDATE CLARIFICATION] - the reason I said that spinning does not help was that a spinning first gear change is so fast that it would not help, especially if the tune was on the edge of marginal. It does not mean it is necessarily the cause of the issue, especially if you have the computer hitting the brakes with traction control on. I was only marginally successful by turning it off. However, I just don't like what happens when it is on. My brain says if you spin the tires, traction control or not, it should not trigger limp mode on any car and means something is not right. traction control is great for normal driving around corners, weather and braking.
    Last edited by Enthusiastic; 01-22-2024 at 08:21 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiastic View Post
    Yes. We both agree.
    cool

cant wait to see what the two of you come up with

my slicks have different rollout than my street tires do

that means rate of acceleration will be different IF it was hooked dead up on one, vs hooked dead up on the other

yes, spinning shortens the amount of time available to complete the shift too

if ya cannot understand that... well, i just do not know how to say it any clearer

Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    cool

cant wait to see what the two of you come up with . . .
    LilSick - Lucid, clear, crystal and transparent. Totally makes sense.

Traction, friction, load, acceleration and a lot of tune tables that involve engine RPMs, torque, gear ratios, axle ratio, tire size, speed, acceleration and offsets loaded into the HPTuners interface and compiler to load binary data into the proper memory registers into the PCM/TCM controllers. Sounds like a great spreadsheet project to help with loading the data into HPTuners.

I love building spreadsheets and can reverse engineer the tables into Excel but I still need to learn the basics how HPTuners works and how all the tables interact. Then I can do the intermediate calculations and build my own tool. I have not even setup step one, a custom VCM scanner PID channel layout more specific to monitor/log all the important trans parameters yet. Looking for some good training links or videos.

To be more clear, I think a better example of the discussion is:
    Let's say your RWD hardware and tune were theoretically perfect enough to hookup almost all of your 800hp without slip, flare, or wheel spin (traction loss) on 93 octane pump gas. It is hard to believe you would trigger limp mode under the same conditions, except the only change was reduced traction and crazy wheel spin by using rear wheel skinnies. I can see going the other way being an issue where your higher load fatties and stickies condition is never realized during tuning and you find out your marginal tune with skinnies does not work when you move to a higher HP and/or load condition (better traction).
    Last edited by Enthusiastic; 01-23-2024 at 01:21 AM.

Not to sound rude, but ive been dealing with this for a long time, and have had many people look into it and no one can seem to fix it. I cant just go to drag strip and get multiple passes. Its usually 1 and done. So hoping i dont spin isnt really good enough. But like ive said, it doesnt matter if i spun or not, it still wouldnt shift. It didnt pull any timing, fuel, or close the throttlebody. It did nothing. Now it is doing all that, but not shifting quite right and was hoping with the data log i posted could give insight into why, and maybe why 1st gear doesnt shift either
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    ported eagle heads
    e-85 tuned
    3.70 lsd

Advanced Tuner
    could be a leak between the valve body and the case

being that there are no pressure sensors in these things kinda hard to know how bad its leaking

(from what i understand they all leak to some extent)

my car shifts great hooked dead up

hook yer puter up to a good speaker and listen to this 1-2 while spinning:

https://youtube.com/shorts/SqAvZnYo5sg

here it glitch out a lil??? (cuz it was spinning)

that was not in D tho... i shifted it manually there

at the track its always in D

on the street, just driving around, i usually shift it myself

*what you can not see in that video is that there was a truck in the #1 lane and a vette in the #2 lane that i pulled up on the right side of : )

It says the video is private. So if it is bad, im assuming no tune will fix it. And it will only get worse. So i should look into getting a replacement trans
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    ported eagle heads
    e-85 tuned
    3.70 lsd

Advanced Tuner
    no bro

the way to determine that ^^^ is by logging at the track

dont just throw parts at it

*the video is public now
    Last edited by LilSick; 01-23-2024 at 02:44 PM.

Mine shifts like that on the road when i spin, kinda like a hiccup, but thats because i dont stay floored to the floor. But do you know what i should be looking for in the log? How to tell if something is wrong or right?
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    ported eagle heads
    e-85 tuned
    3.70 lsd

Advanced Tuner
    pedaling the thing makes the log as worthless as one made while spinning on the street

#never lift : )

"do you know what i should be looking for in the log?" - Yes. This is how a tuner tunes. With a good log. Knowing what to look at, and why they are looking at it. Making changes to the tune and logging again. Rinse and repeat. Want to learn how to log? 20/hr. Lunch money. Learn how to log you will be able to tune. Don't and you wont. It's that simple

Don Tanklage
    Last edited by LilSick; 01-23-2024 at 07:06 PM.
    [email protected]

don tanklage

here is my latest log and tune. i was not at the drag strip, so i left about 500ft of rubber behind, but i did not lift(the 2nd time). 1st was supposed to shift at 6k, but didnt. 2nd is 6600 rpm, but im pretty sure they both just hit the rev limiter. you can see it doesnt try to shift till much later in first, so im not sure why. is it just too quick for the tcm?
    2-2-2024.hpl1-31-2024.hpt
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    ported eagle heads
    e-85 tuned
    3.70 lsd