Thread: Custom Config or Histogram for DD tuning

Potential Tuner

Custom Config or Histogram for DD tuning

Is anyone willing to let me use their config to help get drivability issues resolved on a 2015 5.3 whipple suburban. I've tuned a lot of gen3 and gen4 stuff but the newer stuff/scanner I am still trying to learn. Ive attached the file I started with which was done by another shop. I am just trying to fix throttle/torque model related issues and for what I've read driver demand related table is where I should be working. Any help will be appreciated

whipplesubstk.hpt
    Last edited by twg55; 07-23-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    have you compared your tune to a stock whipple tune?
    2003 MY Z06 3.3 liter whipple ...sold at around 1000 rwhp
    wip 2015 Silverado w/2.9 Whipple (phase 1 completed) phase 2 in the works

Potential Tuner
    Yes I do have a stock whipple file to compare to. The driver demand 100% column is double the value of the stock whipple tune. 845kw. Which I have already work that number back down to a reasonable value. The complaint with the vehicle is partial throttle response with a lagging pinging when getting into the throttle from a cruise. Plus super hard shifting under wot but I can get that handled unless the torque calculations are causing part of the issue. Ive done some searching and I am trying to use Higgs Boson advice on logging pedal pos vs etc position. Just need more clarity. Thanks again for any help.
    Last edited by twg55; 07-23-2016 at 03:41 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by twg55 View Post
    Yes I do have a stock whipple file to compare to. The driver demand 100% column is double the value of the stock whipple tune. 845kw. Which I have already work that number back down to a reasonable value. The complaint with the vehicle is partial throttle response with a lagging pinging when getting into the throttle from a cruise. Plus super hard shifting under wot but I can get that handled unless the torque calculations are causing part of the issue. Ive done some searching and I am trying to use Higgs Boson advice on logging pedal pos vs etc position. Just need more clarity. Thanks again for any help.
    you can compare to a 10psi high altitude tune here...

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...l-supercharger

might shed some light on things, not sure...

Potential Tuner
    That is the file I am comparing to. Not sure on the boost level yet but I am also working in a higher density altitude. I will have more seat time this afternoon. I was just looking for a scanner config that would give me a head start.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by twg55 View Post
    That is the file I am comparing to. Not sure on the boost level yet but I am also working in a higher density altitude. I will have more seat time this afternoon. I was just looking for a scanner config that would give me a head start.
    you're comparing to the 8 final tune ?

Advanced Tuner
    updated whipple tune.. May want to compare..
    This is from the latest 5.3 they had. You may see a lot of differences from the one you got.

I didn't post this.. even tho I did

FWIW. Hope it helps. It was fixed to update the issues you describe. While not perfect, its way better than your tune.
    Thanks,

Dustin

The way I dial in the DD table seems fairly complex, but once you know what to log its pretty straight forward and you can feel the changes.
    The Throttle (Actual Pedal Position) directly controls Predicted Engine Tq. I look at Engine Tq at whatever cell point in the DD table and compare engine Tq to Predicted Engine Tq.... IF predicted is lower then engine Tq you need to increase the DD in that cell...

Something else to watch is Desired throttle flow, Final Throttle Tq and Desired Map... Desired Throttle Flow matches up pretty well airflow of the engine, and desired map should match actual map.

The main correctlation I see for instance is say Predicted Engine Tq is 333 ftlbs and engine tq is 360ftlbs, then actual Map may read 70KPA and desired map read 64kpa with MAF reads 145g/sec with desired throttle airflow 130 g/sec and your at 14% actual throttle at 40kph. In this instance I would go into that cell in the DD and increase the Driver Pedal Axle Tq request..
    Final Throttle Tq calculates the Desired Map (they go hand in hand)

I always shoot for a higher Predicted Engine Tq compared to Engine Tq.

Remember starts at the Driver Demand pedal postion TO Axle Tq request TO Engine Tq request.
    Last edited by Ben Charles; 07-27-2016 at 11:57 PM.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    What tables are controlling the unstable idle that sometimes happens going from park/neutral to gear? Like surging almost..
    I'm trying to learn the gen5's so im just reading. Got a buddy with a whipple/heads/cam he wants me to tune. But I fear I don't know enough about the setup..
    Thanks,

Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    The way I dial in the DD table seems fairly complex, but once you know what to log its pretty straight forward and you can feel the changes.
    The Throttle (Actual Pedal Position) directly controls Predicted Engine Tq. I look at Engine Tq at whatever cell point in the DD table and compare engine Tq to Predicted Engine Tq.... IF predicted is lower then engine Tq you need to increase the DD in that cell...

Something else to watch is Desired throttle flow, Final Throttle Tq and Desired Map... Desired Throttle Flow matches up pretty well airflow of the engine, and desired map should match actual map.

The main correctlation I see for instance is say Predicted Engine Tq is 333 ftlbs and engine tq is 360ftlbs, then actual Map may read 70KPA and desired map read 64kpa with MAF reads 145g/sec with desired throttle airflow 130 g/sec and your at 14% actual throttle at 40kph. In this instance I would go into that cell in the DD and increase the Driver Pedal Axle Tq request..
    Final Throttle Tq calculates the Desired Map (they go hand in hand)

I always shoot for a higher Predicted Engine Tq compared to Engine Tq.

Remember starts at the Driver Demand pedal postion TO Axle Tq request TO Engine Tq request.
    What you said feels very scientific, do you have any parameters you want to share with the table.
    for example:Graph and match parameters

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    What you said feels very scientific, do you have any parameters you want to share with the table.
    for example:Graph and match parameters
    All tuning is scientific and no I’m not discussing any more on open forums ha

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    All tuning is scientific and no I’m not discussing any more on open forums ha
    hahahaha