Thread: Jeep JKU / did I brick my PCM?

2014 Jeep JKU / Edelbrock E-force SC - PCM brick

FYI, I have an email into [email protected] on this as well.

I think I screwed up my Jeep.

I have MPVI2, and VCM Suite, and I'm credited / licensed for my Jeep.

A. 2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU had a former Ripp procharger onboard, now removed last week.

B. Had custom HPTuner's tune onboard working great prior ( I had modified from the Ripp supplied original super charger tune ).

C. I used the original Diablo i3 to return to stock load and unmarry their tuner yesterday as I'm planning to sell the Ripp kit as a whole unit.

Problem Details:
    1. New Edelbrock 1527 supercharger install done last week. Went great.

2. Flashed with the supplied SCTtuner module it came with ( and here is where I messed up ) didn't know it was a *stock naturally aspirated tune file* onboard their tuner and hadn't gotten their calibration file from Edelbrock yet.

3. Fast forward - jeep runs like crap, I then use HPTuner to flash with one of my prior supercharger known good tunes. Tune successful, Jeep runs nominal, no codes.

4. I call Edelbrock explain my findings, they explain I need to update the SCT with a supercharger cal file. Nowhere in the docs does it say their tuner module ships with a bone stock jeep load and that's dumb, but whatever.

5. So, I used the SCTTuner module's function to "return to stock" in anticipation of getting their cal file. It looked like it loaded fine, but at the very end of a 10 minute procedure after key off / on / off / on, it comes back with a fail error 110D8 saying upload failed.

5. Now the PCM won't respond to HPTuner scanner correctly - and when I tried to write a tune from HPTuner editor using my Hail-Mary backup file - PCM part fails immediately saying can't initiate module. TCM will still write if I set the write sequence to skip PCM.

How bad is it? Is this "go buy a new ECU" bad? I have calls into SCTuner and Edelbrock for support as well.

Hope my issue is at least entertaining for all. Its ok to laugh at my mistakes.
    Last edited by Floki; 10-11-2021 at 06:07 PM. Reason: corrected information

Update:

Spent 2 hours on the phone with great support guy from SCTFlash. They could not recover ECU after the issue. However they were able to determine through log files that it is likely an OS Boot image and OS part number change that is what triggered the failure to load a stock tune file from the SCT X4 module to my ECU. Basically in step 3 above, when I pushed a test tune from HPTuner to my ECU that also updated the boot image and set up the parameters wherein the SCT load return to stock failed. 100% my fault out of ignorance. I ordered a refurb stock ECU to be here in a couple days and I'll start all over again. I'm not convinced the ECU isn't recoverable. I'm in an email dialogue with the awesome support team at HPTuners now. Will update when I know more. Don't do what I did. Any ideas PM me please.

Basically:

1. stock ECU condition.
    2. loaded SCT tune I thought was for super charger - but was mismatched stock tune.
    3. loaded HPTuner supercharger tune I built last year as a test - during this load, VCMEditor tune load updated the boot image of my ECU.
    4. talked to Edelbrock, got their correct custom tune, they said return to stock first with their module.
    5. ran 'return to stock', and that simultaneously failed to complete the load and broke the ECU.
    6. issue stemmed from the fact that the OS boot image and part number were now different from what the SCT X4 had stored when I first used it and made a backup.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for taking the time to share the event and results. Knowledge is power

I'm surprised to find that not a single person in this forum could share an idea of expertise or help to correct the issue I'm having. For all the stuff I have read out here, and I even PM'd a couple of experienced tuners - nothing. LOL. That's discouraging. Are ECU's so vendor POWNED that no one out here can flash a boot image? Or is this just a task that requires such specialized expensive equipment that those folks aren't on this forum? I'm genuinely curious.

Anyway, here I wait still, for the refurb ECU I ordered days ago...

I ran into a similar issue '15 Grand Cherokee 6.4 with a RIPP kit. Base file provided by RIPP had an incorrect OS. After it changed the OS I was unable to write tunes via HPT. It bricked the PCM. Had to purchase a new PCM, have it imaged with a dealer tool, flash correct base file from RIPP, then I was able to tune via HPT.

Thanks for the recap TG, man that makes me cringe even more hearing that!!

1. Where did you get your new / replacement PCM from, if you can say.
    2. When you had it flashed with a dealer tool, can you elaborate? Like Tow the vehicle to the dealer? or just took the PCM to them?
    3. Yah my error was in this order: SCT flash ( wrong calibration ) + HPT flash ( with bootOS update ) + return to stock attempt with SCT = bricked PCM.

And of course no one wants to take any responsibility but everyone points fingers at the other vendors. LOL.

Thanks for adding some data on this thread TG.

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    And of course no one wants to take any responsibility but everyone points fingers at the other vendors. LOL.
    THIS lol

1. New PCM was ordered from dealer.
    2. I have a guy who is mobile and flashes stock images for me. He came on-site and flashed the blank PCM with a factory image. Once he flashed it I confirmed the OS was now the same as when the Jeep came in as opposed to the OS is showed after flashing the base file from RIPP. When I looked into the file provided by RIPP the OS actually came back to a Challenger
    3. Yeah I think that initial wrong calibration is what threw everything off. That was what happened in my case.

Thanks for the details for sure. Yah I was just talking to ModuleExperts out of Florida and they want 199 to correct my existing ECU. They are asking 313 for refurb plug and play units to ship out in 3-5 days. I'm still waiting on the refurb ECU I ordered from FS1. Not sure why its taking so long.

So what would be great is if you said you and your mobile guy are in Seattle! ;-). And that's hilarious about the Challenger OS. I actually have a spare TCU that came out of a 2014 Challenger with the same A580 as my Jeep. Haven't ever tried to flash it. The more I research the more it seems the GPEC2 is kinda sticky to mess with, IMO.

Cool Jeep running again, ECU replaced, SCTFlash details.

Update for any interested readers:

I went through Flagship 1 and ordered a refurb 2014 Jeep PCM(ECU) matching my part number and sent them my VIN to program. This was $270 before shipping. I'm not gonna waste your time with my frustrations / reasons, but I won't work with FS1 again. Regardless, their customer service rep was very proactive on communication and eventually the ECU arrived, seemed fine, packaged very well.

Installed new ECU and test started the Jeep and that was successful. Threw some codes because of 2 bar MAP and other differences that the PCM didn't like seeing. I didn't try to drive it other than idling it back into my garage since it had been sitting in the rain for 2 weeks.

1. Used SCTFlash module to scan the Jeep for the information Edelbrock needs to create a calibration file.
    A. Meanwhile I checked in with their support over the phone to update the case I had open with them. Their support guys are awesome if you are curious.
    2. Sent that data off to Edelbrock and they *very quickly* returned a new calibration file for me even tho it was end of day Tuesday.
    3. I laptop-loaded and installed the cal file onto the SCTFlash module.
    4. Commenced flashing: SCT automatically takes a backup of the stock PCM image. Backed this up to laptop as well.
    5. SCT then flashed the PCM. No errors. No observed issues.
    A. **I did note specifically there was a step in the flash where SCT reports it is installing the boot image.**

6. Test started the Jeep - no DTCs at all, clean idle, completely normal sounding startup, warmup, and idle-down.
    7. Shut down the Jeep and used the SCT Module to determine if my tire size and gear ratio numbers were correct in the PCM - they were ( 37" & 4:88 gears ).
    8. Went for test drive. Drives no issues, normal shifts, pretty much a slush bucket in terms of pedal to performance.
    9. In subsequent days, did about 80 miles easy test driving with a couple WOT pulls very sparingly ( this is a new refurb engine ).
    10. After 3 days, everything still seems fine, despite being a slush bucket and hardly feeling like it even has a supercharger except under WOT.

Current recap - I'm in the process of finding a business ( still looking ) that can restore my original bricked ECU to factory and that doesn't have dozens of negative reviews on BBB or Google.
    Or, I'll buy another 'spare' refurb ECU with stock image for the parts shelf.
    The base SC tune from Edelbrock is very mild compared to my prior Ripp supercharger tune that I worked on refining for a year or so. The throttle demand to response is very soft and the firm shifts seem to be leftover from my prior TCU tune.
    Because of the incident of bricking my own ECU I haven't even connected my HPTuner laptop to the new ECU. That said, I currently can't stand driving my Jeep in this state and after detailed testing I'm averaging 12.2MPG. ( With Ripp and my prior tune I was regularly seeing 18-19MPG and dramatically better responsiveness. I'm sure anyone out here knows, these issues are no doubt tune related.

My plan now is to use the SCTFlash module to "return to stock" to back out of the Edelbrock tune. I will then commence to re-engage with HPTuner tunes I have been working on.

Important to note: I have no requirement in my application to remain 100% CARB compliant, secondly the moment I use HPTuner VCM editor to flash my ECU, I can no longer use the SCTFlash module. It will not work on a boot-OS modified ECU ( this is how I bricked the first one ). *VCM modifies the Boot OS away from stock*. That was the hard lesson I learned from all of this.

As I start over with the tuning improvement process and have more worthwhile info to share I'll post more observations on the experience comparisons between Ripp Vs E-Force. I ran the Ripp for just under 3 years from 42K to 76K miles on the odometer.

I love the E-Force kit so far as how it's engineered, fitment to my Jeep, install instructions and phone / email support. So far all that physical layer side has been *fantastic*. The 50 state CARB compliant tune on the other hand - yah, no thank you. ;-)

If you are a JK owner and have questions or ideas to share on any of this thread, please feel free to PM me. - Floki
    Last edited by Floki; 10-29-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Sorry you went through all that, But I can try and recover your PCM. I have the proper Chrysler tools.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    its not very easily to brick these ecu's either GPEC2 or GPEC2A

whats happening is your boot-mode changes from SCT to diablo to HPT

on this forum you will get support with those who use HPT

you could have flash based on VIN latest OS on your car

read with HPT and start editing and flashing as normal
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Thanks for reaching out. Where are you located and what would be involved?

Thank you. HPTuner will not read the PCM anymore. It acts like it can not see it. When I scan for information - it only shows me the TCU right now. I have also tried a read with SCT and Diablo, none of them will see the PCM anymore.

Located in South Florida. American Muscle Performance [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    did you manage to flash it remotely via j2534 or cda?

Potential Tuner
    Do you have an HPTuners version of your RIPP file? i am having an issue with the SCTuner writing to my ECU, but my HPtuners works fine. I have a 2013 Jeep JK...

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    FYI, I have an email into [email protected] on this as well.

I think I screwed up my Jeep.

I have MPVI2, and VCM Suite, and I'm credited / licensed for my Jeep.

A. 2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU had a former Ripp procharger onboard, now removed last week.

B. Had custom HPTuner's tune onboard working great prior ( I had modified from the Ripp supplied original super charger tune ).

C. I used the original Diablo i3 to return to stock load and unmarry their tuner yesterday as I'm planning to sell the Ripp kit as a whole unit.

Problem Details:
    1. New Edelbrock 1527 supercharger install done last week. Went great.

2. Flashed with the supplied SCTtuner module it came with ( and here is where I messed up ) didn't know it was a *stock naturally aspirated tune file* onboard their tuner and hadn't gotten their calibration file from Edelbrock yet.

3. Fast forward - jeep runs like crap, I then use HPTuner to flash with one of my prior supercharger known good tunes. Tune successful, Jeep runs nominal, no codes.

4. I call Edelbrock explain my findings, they explain I need to update the SCT with a supercharger cal file. Nowhere in the docs does it say their tuner module ships with a bone stock jeep load and that's dumb, but whatever.

5. So, I used the SCTTuner module's function to "return to stock" in anticipation of getting their cal file. It looked like it loaded fine, but at the very end of a 10 minute procedure after key off / on / off / on, it comes back with a fail error 110D8 saying upload failed.

5. Now the PCM won't respond to HPTuner scanner correctly - and when I tried to write a tune from HPTuner editor using my Hail-Mary backup file - PCM part fails immediately saying can't initiate module. TCM will still write if I set the write sequence to skip PCM.

How bad is it? Is this "go buy a new ECU" bad? I have calls into SCTuner and Edelbrock for support as well.

Hope my issue is at least entertaining for all. Its ok to laugh at my mistakes.