Thread: 2012 f150 ecoboost throttle closing boost surge

Potential Tuner

2012 f150 ecoboost throttle closing boost surge

Im having issues and my tunner wont get back to me anyone out there that can help me. first let me start with my mod list. . SO LIST OF MODS ARE. CATLESS DOWNPIPES, EXHAUST, AFE STAGE 2 INTAKE, SNOW PERFORMANCE STAGE 2.5 WATER METH INJECTION KIT STARTS AT 7PSI OF BOOST AND FULL SPRAY AT 19PSI WITH 4GPH NOZZLE, MISHIMOTO INTERCOOLER, MISHIMOTO CATCH CANS, TURBO SMART BLOWOFF VALVES. AND 160 THERMOSTAT.

list of new parts. THROTTLE BODY, BOTH MAP SENSORS ONE ON MANIFOLD AND ONE ON PRESSURE SIDE OF CAC, NEW TURBOS, NEW WASTEGATE SOLENOID, NEW BOV VALVE SOLENOIDS, NEW PLUGS GAPPED AT.28.

The issue im having is that im getting loss of boost/ surging. its erratic under WOT and light throttle its surging bad. you can actually see the throttle backing off on TPS. any advise or could point me to a tuner that could remote road tune my truck.

Im at the point where i cant keep throwing parts and im not sure if theres a problem with the tune or with my truck.

DATA LOG FREEWAY PULL AND LIGHT THROTTLE 10-11-21.hpl
    Last edited by Remington11577; 10-11-2021 at 08:32 PM.

You are missing a lot of needed parameters in your log. Try this channel list.
    2017 3.5 Ecoboost.Channels.xml

Don't know if I can help you with your issue, but whoever does will need more info in the log.

Potential Tuner

Question

ok i added the parameters thanks JR2185. I changed my sparks plugs and did some more pulls same result noticed that the knock retard hit 6 which im assuming is closing my throttle trying to save my motor and back of the boost. ive done some research and ive been reading about some limiters. LSPI Reduction under torque management. torque management. speed limits, fmem limits, outlet psi limits, exhaust temp. im not sure of these limiters have any thing to do with it either, Anybody have any suggestions?pulls after spark plug change. 10-12-21 530pm.hpl

Quote Originally Posted by Remington11577 View Post
    ok i added the parameters thanks JR2185. I changed my sparks plugs and did some more pulls same result noticed that the knock retard hit 6 which im assuming is closing my throttle trying to save my motor and back of the boost. ive done some research and ive been reading about some limiters. LSPI Reduction under torque management. torque management. speed limits, fmem limits, outlet psi limits, exhaust temp. im not sure of these limiters have any thing to do with it either, Anybody have any suggestions?pulls after spark plug change. 10-12-21 530pm.hpl
    Yeah idk. I think you need to investigate your VCT settings. On every spike VCT Schedule Mode switches between "Fuel Economy Drive" and "Disabled". I also realized I don't have cam position in this list.

Potential Tuner
    So definitely vct is operation is causing the surge . Vct actuators are going on and off. Duty cycles are normal but something is shutting me down. Vct error are near 0. And vct angle on intake 1 is below 5deg so Indicating no chain stretch. I unplug the actuators and no more surge no throttle closing and full boost. Power curve is smooth . So my question is why is my pcm shutting down vct actuations? I?m not seeing any limitations on driver demand or torque source. Clean new oil, my timing chain and phasers have been replaced. I pulled vct actuators and inspected and shocked them. Oil pressure is good. What does the pcm need to see for proper vct actuation?

Potential Tuner

Exclamation vct shutting down?! WHY

here is the data log of the vct with all vct pids it looks like everything is good right before disable. error is right near 0deg none of the duty cycles on the vct go to 100%. cam angle and desired are matching up. no limits are seeming to be hit. is there any out there that can help with this? what is shuttting down the vct?!!!!vct operation 12-28-21.hpl

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jr2185 View Post
    Yeah idk. I think you need to investigate your VCT settings. On every spike VCT Schedule Mode switches between "Fuel Economy Drive" and "Disabled". I also realized I don't have cam position in this list.
    So definitely vct is operation is causing the surge . Vct actuators are going on and off. Duty cycles are normal but something is shutting me down. Vct error are near 0. And vct angle on intake 1 is below 5deg so Indicating no chain stretch. I unplug the actuators and no more surge no throttle closing and full boost. Power curve is smooth . So my question is why is my pcm shutting down vct actuations? I?m not seeing any limitations on driver demand or torque source. Clean new oil, my timing chain and phasers have been replaced. I pulled vct actuators and inspected and shocked them. Oil pressure is good. What does the pcm need to see for proper vct actuation?

Tuner in Training
    PM Sent
    2015 EcoBoost SHO
    Catless DP , 3 BAR , Intake , 3'' Exhaust

Potential Tuner
    So after months of hunting down the problem I retuned everything back to stock with no luck. I finally decided to really learn everything I possibly could about this truck and how to use hp tunners to data log and view pids to track down this issue. Here what I found. After data log on cam intake angle I found right before vct schedule goes disabled I found the cam angle sensor would go erratic for a split second. I?m like great found the problem. No I installed a new cam sensor and problem got worse. View pids the drop was more consistent. I check both sensors and they where both Napa branded sensor. So I said enough with this and got all 4 cams sensors and ckp sensors from ford. I swapped in the new ford cam sensor on intake one( the sensor in question) boom!!! Problem solved. Since I already bought all new sensors i decided to slap them in too! Now truck runs beautiful and now getting 18mpgs wow!!! Vct is operating perfectly! I thought tho maybe it was a harness issue. So I tryed swapping in the old Napa sensor again and sure as shit the truck started surging again. Get OEM sensors only folks! It was a nightmare and a lot of money spent on trying to track down this problem. Because a lot of problems can lead to this surging symptoms. But I?ve learned a lot and now my truck is has a lot of new parts haha

Potential Tuner
    Ps 5 other stealer ships couldn?t find the problem. One said needs new phasers and chain , others said ecm. Others tried sayin it was the map sensors, or one even said it was the transmission torque converter. Haha one said it was the turbos causing the issue. Don?t fall for it!!l HP tunners saved me thousands of dollars from these so called professionals

Thanks a lot for letting us all know!

I was having the same issue after changing my timing chain. Had changed the cam sensor a couple of weeks before hand. On heavy acceleration as soon as the boost went past 10 psi it would jump back and forth from 10 to 20 psi and the truck would bog down rpm wouldn?t rise and wouldn?t kick down a gear. Pulled the plug off the passenger side iner sensor and the problem stopped. Timing feels off due to the missing sensor but still a lot better than before. New sensor on order

Tuner
    Ps 5 other stealer ships couldn?t find the problem. One said needs new phasers and chain , others said ecm. Others tried sayin it was the map sensors, or one even said it was the transmission torque converter. Haha one said it was the turbos causing the issue. Don?t fall for it!!l HP tunners saved me thousands of dollars from these so called professionals
    thanks for the update