Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with 8 speed shift mapping

Help with 8 speed shift mapping

I'm trying to build a trans tune for my abortion of a truck. I had to start with something to get me on the road for a holiday trip last week end ended up with this.
    Rambo trans map Oct 7.PNG

Now that I've been driving it a couple of days I need to make some changes and looking for a bit of guidance.
    It upshifts way too soon and downshifts way too late. I would also like it to not shift into 7 or 8 when at speeds below 40 MPH.
    I spent the morning trying to figure this out and reading some other posts on this and came up with the following but have not loaded it yet. I think by raising the 6-7 and 7-8 shift RPM it should not upshift into those gears early? I don't really know what an appropriate downshift spread is so it does not just downshift and then upshift shortly after. I mostly tow with this truck and engine MAX RPM is 3200 though peak torque is more in the 1600-2200 RPM range.
    Rambo trans map Oct 13.PNG

Does it look like I'm heading in the right direction?

This for an Ecodiesel?

I stuck a Cummins ISB170 in my 2014 Ram 1500. Its basically a common rail 4BT. The trans is receiving RPM, TPS and torque from the Cummins CAN bus.

Well the only thing I can offer you is a file from my EcoDiesel, That has a Tune on it that I Absolutely love from GDE. And seeing that our engines do make Peak TQ at similar areas. Might be worth a shot Copying and pasting these values in and see how it feels. Also this file has a Manual shift feature that makes the + - buttons on the steering wheel actually Hold the gear you're in (Autostick) instead of locking out whatever gear you set it to(Electronic Shift Range). I have never tried writing this file to another ZF 8HP70 before, Im curious if the AutoStick style shifting transfers over if it was flashed with "Write Entire", but i doubt it.

Thats an Awesome swap BTW! Many have talked about doing it, but you're the first ive seen. Mind sharing some Pics of it?
    Sadly when my motor had an issue, I bought another EcoDiesel Engine and Installed it myself. Luckily the Bottom end is in perfect shape and plan on rebuilding it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Smxtmpr34; 10-14-2021 at 05:41 PM.

Thank you Smxtmpr34, I would not want to write entire since its not running through the RAM ECU but through a PCS module but it will give me a starting point to make my shifts better. Does it downshift better than the stock one?
    Here is a bit of a build thread.
    https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ram.../#post-2279970

That helped and I made a few changes to get my upshift RPM a bit higher especially at light throttle so it was not always upshifting when moving slow around town. I still wish it would downshift sooner instead of the feeling that its coasting since most of my driving is towing.
    I would like to understand a bit more about the downshift RPM settings, do I want to set them lower or higher to get it to downshift sooner?
    I assume the downshift RPM always wants to be lower than the upshift RPM for the same gear change. I don't know if anyone has time to look at this trans tune and make some suggestions?
    Sure appreciate any help I can get.
    Rambo trans Oct 9.hpt

I suppose its more accurate to call it decel downshifting? Zero throttle when coming up to a stop light.
    It does a strange "hunting" thing when getting down around 30 mph, feels like its maybe converter locking and then unlocking over and over not harsh just repetitive.

Potential Tuner
    Smxtmpr34,

Is this trans tune for 3.55 gearing or 3.92?

Thanks
    Last edited by Ecksor; 12-02-2021 at 02:19 AM.

Tuner in Training
    are you trying to get more of an "engine braking" action during zero throttle deceleration ?

Tuner in Training
    message me i tune diesels with 8 speeds all the time

Potential Tuner
    would
    it be possible to load this on just the tcm ?

Its been a while since I last posted. Lots has been done to the truck. Upgraded to the Charger console shifter so I can use manual mode and I like the console shifter.
    I have a pretty good shift map figured out under acceleration and still playing with the decel part of it. I'm starting to look at TCC settings and wonder if a lower slip-lock setting will help with towing? The current settings are for the Hemi which is going to rev a lot higher than my 3000RPM Cummins.
    These are the current settings:
    Slip-unlock 720 720 780 780 780 780 780 780 780 780
    Unlock - slip 815 815 815 815 815 815 815 815 815 815
    Slip - lock 2100 2100 2100 2100 2100 2100 2100 825 825 825

I'm thinking something closer to this?
    675 675 675 675 675 675 675 675 675 675
    725 725 725 725 725 725 725 725 725 725
    1800 1600 1600 1600 1600 1200 1200 825 825 825

Am I venturing into dangerous territory? I don't want to get into changing pressures or anything that will potentially damage the trans, just baby steps at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_ct View Post
    are you trying to get more of an "engine braking" action during zero throttle deceleration ?
    Yes, I would like more in tow mode which in my truck is Sport mode.

Potential Tuner
    PM sent

Potential Tuner
    i believe you need give the tcu a canbus signal when the brakes are applied. this should help with downshifts
    I want to learn more about your canbus setup, What did you have to do to get your TCU to work with the ecm your using?

It is getting the brake signal through the SGA module as you have to have the brake pedal down in order to shift out of park.
    The SGA (PCS) module has two CanBus channels so the Cummins is on one and the truck is on the other and the TCM gets info from both.

Potential Tuner
    Got it, I didnt realize you were using the SGA setup, guess i missed that reading thru the threads.

Im doing a 8hp70 swap as well, do you think the SGA is the best way to due a stand-alone setup ?

2008 BMW 750LI
    5.3 Aluminum LS engine
    ms3 goldbox (ecm)

I was thinking of using a dodge ecm, just to get the correct canbus info to the TCU. I was going to share tps, rpm, ect. from my from me ms3 box. Would i be able to make this work without the SGA box ?
    Last edited by jc10000rpm; 08-19-2022 at 01:25 PM.

I have talked to others who have gone other routs and think the SGA module was the easy solution.
    Russell knows the hardware and software very well.
    Lots of inputs and output through the PCS module and pretty good software for idiots like me.
    My biggest issues have been getting the CanBus talking between the engine, trans and chassis/dash and tuning the ZF8.
    If you are brilliant with CanBus then possibly. The problem with the Dodge ECM is that it needs so many inputs to make it functional.
    I try to envision it as a huge panel of switches (since I'm a mechanical sort of guy) and you have to have the right sequence of switches turned on in order for the ECU to fire up and run the TCU and other stuff.
    I still have not figured out that sequence.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the input, my head keeps going in circles on this issue, iv read mixed reviews about using HTG. i keep thinking using a factory tcu that has a custom tune, would be better in the long run

I apologize for jumping in on your thread, but your swap intrigued me and i was sure you had already been thru similar problems im going to be facing

No problem asking the questions, maybe someone else will see it and help both of us.
    A tune will not solve this, its a system communications issue. The PCM needs to see a signal from ??? in order to start sending data to other modules. I have played with the RF Hub and BCM with no luck.
    I had my ECM flashed to a manual trans so now my dash display is telling me to push the clutch pedal which I don't have. I installed a Manual trans RF Hub and fed it a fake clutch signal but still no "start sequence" Apparently AJ at Hemituner has a module that will send the magic signal but he has not responded to me.
    I had one guy asking about SGA because he had so many problems with HTG but that's the only info I have on them.