Thread: 2010 zr1 - vve spikes and lugging motor at low rpm

Tuner in Training

2010 zr1 - vve spikes and lugging motor at low rpm

so i've got a 2010 zr1 with a stock long block and id1300 injectors... 2.35 pully with a lpe snout....

i've been tuning the vve table as best i know how, and just started running in to this lugging / jerking at low rpms.... 1200rpm and lower...

no issues with wot that ive found, stays around .78-.82 lambda...

not sure what the hell i've done to get these insane vve table spikes, but i'm finally asking for a hand here...

i've got an aem 30-334 wideband reading via obd into mvpi2 and have been following what the scanner has said to adjust...

maybe i need to reflash with a stock tune and then add in all my changes?

maybe i'm trying to do the vve tuning wrong? i disabled the fuel trims / maf because thats what i've been reading...

i appreciate the assistance in advance!

if i need to add some channels or get more log i can do that....

also would be open to a remote session, i have laptop with hotspot....

FUCK.hptfuck.hpl
    Last edited by wassat; 10-13-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    If you are going to be running a CL tune then use your o2 sensors for your lower rpm tuning. No reason to use the WB other than for WOT and the other OL areas of the tune. Man, that VVE table looks ROUGH!!!!! i'd just start over if i were you. I'd use higher gears so that you can get good data. Drive around for at least 1/2hr to 45 min trying to fill up as many cells as you can. Nice smooth throttle transitions too.. That jerking is coming from that HUGE peak you have at around 1k rpms and then drops off massively in both direction along the rpm axis

You can give me a call if you would like to talk about it. Steve 815-979-1961

Tuner in Training
    thanks for this info! I'll reset the table and try with the ltft etc....

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wassat View Post
    thanks for this info! I'll reset the table and try with the ltft etc....
    I'd also recommend using STFT vs LTFT. I think it's much faster than using LTFT

Advanced Tuner
    Is your injector data correct?

Tuner in Training JustinWhiteTuned's Avatar
    so i've got a 2010 zr1 with a stock long block and id1300 injectors... 2.35 pully with a lpe snout....

i've been tuning the vve table as best i know how, and just started running in to this lugging / jerking at low rpms.... 1200rpm and lower...

no issues with wot that ive found, stays around .78-.82 lambda...

not sure what the hell i've done to get these insane vve table spikes, but i'm finally asking for a hand here...

i've got an aem 30-334 wideband reading via obd into mvpi2 and have been following what the scanner has said to adjust...

maybe i need to reflash with a stock tune and then add in all my changes?

maybe i'm trying to do the vve tuning wrong? i disabled the fuel trims / maf because thats what i've been reading...

i appreciate the assistance in advance!

if i need to add some channels or get more log i can do that....

also would be open to a remote session, i have laptop with hotspot....

FUCK.hptfuck.hpl
    Altering the Pedal maps are not a good idea and can likely be some of your issue, also the vve is very choppy and obviously incorrect. i agree with starting over and using stft+ltft to adjust low throttle areas specifically and wideband for higher as in wot.

not sure what injectors your running, but the data is definitely scaled wrong and the injector data is the heart of any tune. If its off, everything is off.

Senior Tuner
    The VVE table is absolutely incredibly rough and that is most of your issues. Try this. Might take a step back but I'll bet it will at least be smoother.

F2.hpt
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    hey all,

i apologize for the radio silence, been caught up with a bunch of other stuff...

i did some serious blending on the vve table and that totally cleared up the jerkiness in the low rpms...

i was frustrated before with the tune, so i thought maybe something was off with the injector data, but double checked against the injector dynamics excel sheet and it all appeared to match up... they're id1300xds injectors

not sure whats up with the pedal mapping, that's not something that i did, probably from a previous tune...

i was told that i didn't need to half the injector data, so maybe i need to cut it 50% and try again?

this is a hand tune just using the wb02 and not the ltft+stft yet, i still need to research that a little bit more before i give it a try....

i haven't had a chance to flash this one yet, so i don't have any logs to go along with it....

smoothing-ve-table-more.hpt

this is the log file i used to populate the vve table data and smooth more...

to-lisa-2.hpl

i appreciate the suggestions everyone!
    Last edited by wassat; 10-27-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Tuner in Training
    also, if i'm looking to tune the vve table, do i need to set dynamic airflow low or high?

engine > airflow > dynamic > dynamic air flow > high rpm disable to 100 or to 8000?

and

engine > airflow > dynamic > dynamic air flow > high rpm re-enable > 99 or 7999?

or none of the above?

also, if i'm looking to tune the vve table, do i need to set dynamic airflow low or high?

engine > airflow > dynamic > dynamic air flow > high rpm disable to 100 or to 8000?

and

engine > airflow > dynamic > dynamic air flow > high rpm re-enable > 99 or 7999?

or none of the above?
    set it high and set the throttle table back. ill include a stock file you can compare it to.

Tuner in Training
    and throttle you mean

engine . airflow . electronic throttle . desired throttle area . maps?

and throttle you mean

engine . airflow . electronic throttle . desired throttle area . maps?
    yessir you will see what doesnt match in the compare file

Tuner in Training
    ok, so i went full nuclear and started with a fresh zr1 oem tune.... ( apologies for starting this as a VVE thread and now switching to MAF)

i doubled stoich and halved afr term....

i used the excel sheet for the ID 1300 x2 and the numbers were a lot different from the standard 1300 sheet....

SKU: ID1300-Chevrolet-1300.34.14.15.8

i also ditched the kong intake for a synergy 4.5" (full round tube) and disabled the following for MAF tuning....

engine > fuel > dod > disable

engine > fuel > dfco > enable ect > 400
    engine > fuel > dfco > disable ect > 399

engine > fuel > dfco > enable > 8000
    engine > fuel > dfco > disable > 7999

engine > fuel > cfco > enable vss > 300
    engine > fuel > cfco > enable rpm > 8000

engine > fuel > temp ctrl > cot > disable

engine > fuel > oxygen sensors > monitoring > o2 rediness ECT > 400
    engine > fuel > oxygen sensors > feedback > long term fuel trims > min ect 400
    engine > fuel > oxygen sensors > feedback > long term fuel trims > max ect > 10

engine > airflow > dynamic > high rpm disable > 100
    engine > airflow > dynamic > high rpm enable > 99

engine > spark > advance > base > high / low octane > -5 degrees

i am uploading a bundle of tunes that log the changes as i went...

let me know if it looks like i'm headed in the right direction here... i feel like i'm getting more positive results from testing and adjusting the tuning...

for the naming conventions:

adjust4-run.hpl is a log of the changes made on the "adjust4.hpt"

i then used "adjust4-run.hpl" to make the changes i flased for "adjust 5.hpt"....

adjust5-run.hpl is a log of the changes made on "adjust5.hpt"... and so on....

i appreciate you taking the time to check this stuff out, i'm starting to feel like maybe there was some bad crap in the old files i was flashing....

c6-zr1-stock-injector-data-added - tuning for MAF-adjust4.hpt
    c6-zr1-stock-injector-data-added - tuning for MAF-adjust5.hpt
    c6-zr1-stock-injector-data-added - tuning for MAF-adjust6.hpt
    c6-zr1-stock-injector-data-added - tuning for MAF-adjust7.hpt
    adjust4-run.hpl
    adjust-5-run.hpl
    adjust6-run.hpl
    adjust7-run.hpl