Thread: KR Issue and Tuning Help

Tuner in Training

KR Issue and Tuning Help

I've been getting my truck ready to get properly tuned but have noticed a bit of an issue when taking it for a spin. It seems to be reading some KR at weird times, and I dont think I have the timing set very high. The combo is a 4.8 with forged pistons, deka 80s, EFI source 2 bar MAP, SS2 camshaft, borg s475 on the side running 94 octane fuel. 4l80e trans with FTI 3200 converter. Plugs gapped to 25 thou, NGK BKR7E plugs. Its running open loop SD, and the O2s arent accurate.

I took it for a little spin for the first time and noticed the KR readings. The wideband is hooked up inside the truck, but not reading in HP tuners unfortunately, but its a tad rich still (Low 13s). It seems to read KR when I was slowing down and the trans downshifted putting it under load.

Here is the log (really long I know) and the tune, im still figuring things out on this so its probably way off but any insight is appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Turbovan; 10-13-2021 at 10:37 PM.

Check for codes while it's running, see if you have an pending or current knock sensor codes. Those can cause knock spikes in the logs.

Also make sure nothing is rubbing on anything.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    It has a fender dump out the side that vibrates on the fender a bit, which I suppose could be an issue. I'll take a look for other things rubbing, how sensitive are they really? The only codes I have are for the MAF and heater codes because I removed AC and the heater box is unplugged, otherwise nothing.

You can tap on various things with a small hammer while monitoring the scanner, you know. Learn for yourself how different parts on your vehicle respond to different types of tapping.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    You can tap on various things with a small hammer while monitoring the scanner, you know. Learn for yourself how different parts on your vehicle respond to different types of tapping.
    I also am trying to find some KR issue, mine ranges from 1 to 3 degrees. This sound like a good start to use a hammer while scanning. I have a quickjack, I can just raise the vehicle while its scanning and idling. I also noticed that WOT about 4000 rpms I get it and making turns.

Tuner in Training
    I took a look at everything and fixed a few things that are rattling, I even took a lot of timing out everywhere and it?s exactly the same. Reads knock on deaceleration and other odd times, nothing under load though.

Do the knock sensors go bad typically?

Advanced Tuner
    They are supposedly, one time use. Not sure how true that is, but if they were removed from the block, might try getting new ones. I've never removed and reinstalled them. Just a thought

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by danmw2003 View Post
    They are supposedly, one time use. Not sure how true that is, but if they were removed from the block, might try getting new ones. I've never removed and reinstalled them. Just a thought
    Hmm I did have them out when I did the motor and put them back in, they were torqued properly too. I might have to test them.

Tuner in Training
    I did some more testing. I did 2 runs, each time I pulled about 20 percent timing out of it and the KR in the scanner didn?t really change. I?m new to this but it?s still very strange to me that the retard wouldn?t get lower or be eliminated. No knock detected during acceleration where there is more load.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbovan View Post
    I did some more testing. I did 2 runs, each time I pulled about 20 percent timing out of it and the KR in the scanner didn?t really change. I?m new to this but it?s still very strange to me that the retard wouldn?t get lower or be eliminated. No knock detected during acceleration where there is more load.
    The engine isn't going to detonate under deceleration. You can rest assured that it's false spark knock.