Thread: Endurance Race Workflow

Potential Tuner

Endurance Race Workflow

Hi,

I have been using RR-Ult successfully to marry single video and data files but, now I am trying to marry multiple video files with multiple datafiles for the same 7 or 8 hour race that have different start and end points because the Sony camera automatically segments at 4gb and the data from an AIM logger changes by driver/pitstop. It would be great if I could just put them all into the project file and it would figure out the sequence and render appropriately. Without timecode on all the files I don't see this happening since the video segments are continuous (if joined) and the data logging stops at all pit stops and potentially track offs too. I could see logging the entire race continuously, in the future, to make syncing easier but, then we would lose the ability to download data during a pit stop and that's not what I have to play with this time.

I have tried a few things so far without success, like letting them render automatically via their sequential time stamps and I tried joining them first in the project template but, RR tells me the data files are not all the same format despite being from the same logger, on the same day and unmodified.

I am not looking for a step by step as much as an approach to render multiple video and data files together as one or, divided up by the data files from someone who has done it or, knows what should work.

Cheers and TIA, Tim

Advanced Tuner
    Would it be easier to render multiple segments individually, and then combine them all in a video editor afterwards? You could render by data file and just find the videos that match and synchronize them appropriately.

Alternatively, you could try to simply render just the data file overlay on top of a green background, then chroma-key out the background, and finally place it on top of the video in an actual video editor.

I've found RaceRender to be particularly great at rendering single/shorter videos (e.g. single lap or session) but tends to be more difficult to work with much larger timespans. So if you're trying to work on a much larger timeframe, I'd recommend using an actual video editor.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for your thoughts. I will give that approach a go. Since the data files are generally longer than the video files, I will need to join 2 or more video files to cover each data file. I will try and join them in RR and failing that will use an external program to prep them. Let folks know how it goes.

Potential Tuner
    HoboBob,

Just following up to thank you and for the benefit of others. I got it done by cutting up the race video into driver segments of no more than 90 min. You could use any editor. I used Virb Edit. Its simple and made flipping the videos right side up easy. I ended up using the apex of the first sharp corner to sync up the video and the on-screen track map and therefore the data. None of the other more automated options like start finish or, first movement seemed to work for me. Just glad I could do it manually. I could now use any video editor to reconstruct the race but, the object was to give each driver a video of their stint with all the data overlaid, so I am done for now. Thanks. Tim