Thread: Torque Converter won't stay locked at speed

Potential Tuner

Torque Converter won't stay locked at speed

Hi Guys,

I was hoping someone could look at my tune and help me solve why my converter wont stay locked while driving at highway speeds (or any other actually). I am new to HP Tuners, but have spent a fair amount of time searching and trying tune adjustments to solve this with no success.

My car is a 1986 Regal with a LS swap from a 2004 Avalanche (5.3 LM7 Eng. & 4L60E Trans). The ECU is from a 2002 Trans AM (P01). It has a cam with the same specs as an Elgin 1840P with a Hughes 2500 stall converter with lockup. 3.73 gears with the correct tire size and gears input into HP Tuners.

I checked to make sure there were no misfires as I understand this could cause an issue. It will stay locked as long as I am still accelerating, as soon as I let off on the gas to maintain a speed it unlocks. I'm stumped which isn't too surprising considering I am new to tuning lol.

Can anyone help please? I have included the tune and a log file for reference.

Regards,
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Michael Regal; 10-14-2021 at 05:42 PM. Reason: more specs

Min throttle release has been zero'd so it's not that. It maybe the brake switch's input to the ECM. If I recall correctly, we need ground and +, not float and +, so often a relay has to be added if the brake switch is single state.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the reply Steve!

I wired the new brake switch as directed from the BP Automotive installation manual. Pink from ECU (switched 12V Ignition) and Purple to ECU. When brake is not on Purple will read 12V, when brake applied, Purple will read 0V.

I just verified it is working as described.

Does that make sense? BP directions were spot-on with everything else, great kit!

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Regal; 10-14-2021 at 05:46 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Just a quick update... problem solved. It was an incorrectly adjusted TCC brake switch. All is good!

Potential Tuner
    What is an incorrect adjusted switch consist of? I?m having the exact same issue as you.