Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flex fuel enable

Tuner

Flex fuel enable

I have seen a few different posts but I am not seeing what I am looking for. I have a 2005 escalade that has the master enable/disable in the editor. This escalade was not a FFV. I have been looking around the forums and have found that the 2002 Tahoe file is what is needed to run flex fuel. So I downloaded one from the repository to look at what options I am missing compared to the original escalade file. I notice no extra options for tuning or options for tuning for flex fuel. in a place with around 750k people, we only have 2 stations with e85 pumps. I would like to run e85 when I am going to the track but not for daily driving. Is there a different file that I need for this to work? Is this even possible? If I don't have to change the file or os how would I tune for e85?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    02 Tahoe uses a P01 PCM. Your 05 Escalade uses a P59 PCM. You would have to change the OS to one from a P59 PCM that is a FF OS. I would pick one from a 05 L59 FF vehicle. 05 is the last year in that gen that used an alcohol sensor. 06 and 07 Classic were virtual FF. Is your Escalade a 5.3? Then add a FF sensor and wire it into the PCM. There were lots of vehicles that were FF in 05. Silverados, Tahoes, Suburbans, Avalanches.........

I see Idaho has emission testing. Not sure if doing all that will cause issues with that.

Tuner
    Idaho does have emission testing but only in 2 counties and this power plant is going in a racecar. The escalade is a 6.0. I have downloaded atleast 10 tune files for different supposed flex fuel vehicles including 3 different 02 Tahoes and they all have the same thing. only the master enable /disable and there are no more adjustments that I can find in the tune file. It makes me think I am finding false ff files or all I have to do is enable it and add a sensor.

Senior Tuner
    There is more to FF than the master enable/disable. It is a complete different OS. But if you think that's all you have to do then go for it.

Tuner
    I just havent been able to find anything different than what I already have.

Senior Tuner
    And you probably won't. There is a lot of things you don't see in the HPT file that are going on in the background in an OS.

Tuner
    you would think that it would atleast show some kind of adjustment for stoich or power enrichment for alcohol.

Tune repository has a 2004 tahoe blue/green with flex fuel... You should be able to use this file and copy over your escalade engine parameters. This will atleast give you a good base Flex Fuel OS to tune your vehicle with since its a race car

Tuner
    I found that file and downloaded it and compared and found that there is an additional parameter that can be adjusted but I am not finding any others. I found an alcohol table under O2 sensors but that is it besides the flex fuel tab. Is there more adjustments than that?

The Stoich slope is populated on FF enabled tunes. Also there is the flex fuel timing adder table: it's zero'd out on a non flex vehicle with the master switch off. Turning that switch on doesn't usually work, you need a tune that has that master enable already on. For Power enrichment, it doesn't need a seperate table for alcohol because that is accounted for in the new Stoich table. So power enrichment doesn't need to be touched. I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but swapping to a flex fuel enabled tune allows you to run any percentage of Ethanol and it will add ignition advance and fuel based on the content sensed percentage (and the table values). I highly recommend Ethanol.
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

Tuner
    so could I just enable FF and copy the tables from a known FF tune to the tune I have?

I went to the track last weekend. With 70% Ethanol I ran 26 degrees advance at the top, instead of 20 with 93 octane. The benefits and gains naturally aspirated aren't as significant as they are with a boosted application, but I picked up 1/2 second without any knock retard.
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

Tuner
    a half second is a pretty good gain off just fuel and a little timing. What do you normally run for E.T. I just may not be able to get E85 on race day and want to have the option without changing the tune. My goal is to race this thing based around 1 track but have the option to do a couple of different race weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by fastslvblkcar View Post
    so could I just enable FF and copy the tables from a known FF tune to the tune I have?
    I haven't done that personally so I can't say for sure if that will work. From what I've read, it will not work. It has to be a tune that has the Master Flex Fuel switched on from the factory.

If you look at the flex tunes, the timing tab has the extra table, and the Fuel tab has Open loop alcohol eq ratio values, and open loop blend factor has alcohol percentage. Those tables are zero'd on yours. I have a PO1 ecm so I used the 2002 Tahoe flex tune. With a flex fuel sensor ran to my ecm, it works perfectly. You have a P59 ecm, so you need a flex fuel enabled tune from an 03-05. There are posts already on the forum if you search "P59 Flex Os"

Tuner
    Looking through my tune, there werent values in the timing tab but there was in the open loop alcohol tab and the stoich was 14.68 across the board. I was could not find the blend on neither the tahoe or mine unless the stoich is what you are talking about.

Looking through my tune, there werent values in the timing tab but there was in the open loop alcohol tab and the stoich was 14.68 across the board. I was could not find the blend on neither the tahoe or mine unless the stoich is what you are talking about.
    Fuel>Open loop/base>Open loop blend factor and Open loop eq ratio (alcohol)

A week before I got my content sensor, fuel line connectors and ecm pins. I transfered all my Airflow, Timing, and fuel data over to the tahoe file. Also bigger injectors are needed. I used the 2010 Silverado 50lb injectors and got good injector data from this forum.

Tuner
    I was planning on bigger injectors anyway, I am going to run a big cam and FF so I will absolutely need bigger injectors.

Tuner
    I also don't have the blend factor on either but I do have the eq ratio that wasn't zerod out.

In my experience, enabling flex fuel in a non flex OS doesnt do anything. I have had to flash the flex fuel tune into my pcm then copy the engine parameters from my original tune file into the flex file and tune from there. It cost extra credits but atleast the flex fuel works as it should