Thread: Using EOT Main Injection Limits as a Staging Limiter? 6.0 Powerstroke

Potential Tuner

Using EOT Main Injection Limits as a Staging Limiter? 6.0 Powerstroke

Thoughts on this? I'm thinking about hijacking the Engine Oil Temp Sensor by adding a button with a resistor in parallel that will make the computer think that the EOT is in the highest cell on the EOT Main Injection Limit table. I'll play with the axes and set the fuel limit to zero in only that high temp cell above whatever RPM limiter I want. Someone tell me why it wont work before I go and break something.

why not test it with a real oil temp now. At 190 eot set 2000 and below to be whatever fuel you want and above that is 0. Im assuming your trying to stage and build boost and then once the button is let go its full send no limiter?
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Tuner in Training
    Curious how this turned out.

Potential Tuner
    It is not going great. I used the coolant sensor because it is much more easily accessible. I tried unplugging the sensor so the ECM shows -40 F and remapping the axis. That did not work. I used a resistor to show 30 F, that did not work. And I used a resistor to show 300 F. Nothing worked. I remapped the axis on each attempt for the temp desired and the rpms would not cutoff at the desired speed.

I guess I should try cutting fuel across the whole map without touching the sensor. Then I'll know if the cutoff even works.

Potential Tuner
    More updates. Cutting fuel across the entire coolant temp table did not work. I then tried it on the oil temp table and it worked. I then tried unplugging the oil temp sensor to see what temp the truck defaulted to while it was unhooked so hopefully I could just break the wire to create a staging limiter. Simply unplugging the oil temp sensor changed nothing on the temp readout in the truck!?! If I also unplugged the coolant temp sensor then coolant defaulted to -40 and oil defaulted to 212. None of this makes sense to me. I was then able to flash in a tune that only cut fuel when oil temp got above 210 degrees. So with both sensor plugged in the truck would rev as high as you wanted, but with both coolant and oil temp sensor unplugged so that oil temps shows 212 it would fuel cut at my desired rev. We are finally getting somewhere. Next problem was when both sensors were plugged back in it took about 15 seconds for the truck to be happy again and let you start to rev over the cut rpm. So that kind of kills the staging limiter idea.

Potential Tuner
    Got it. Wired in a 2.2k ohm resistor in parallel to the oil temp sensor on a button. Push the button and the resistor is in parallel with the sensor. At operating temp of ~170F pushing the button makes the oil temp reading rise to 230F. I used the EOT fuel limit table to cut fuel at my desired staging rpm only when oil temp is above 225. Works like a dream. Stages at my desired rpm, and sounds awesome. I had to play with the limit mg value to get it where I want it but it works great.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM 6.4 View Post
    Can you post a video on it? I?m interested in the sound lol.
    me too

to use the coolant temp sensor you will have to go into the system tab and enable the coolant temp sensor that will make all your coolant temp tables active but then you have another variable to worry about in all your other adjustments. but you can do it

Potential Tuner
    Idk who is interested but here is a vid of the limiter on TikTok. Still have a lot of work to do, not happy with the trans tune. Once I get that ironed out I'll play with the limiter more.

https://www.tiktok.com/@thattanexcur...from_webapp=v1

Tuner in Training
    what did you set the values to? also was this in the hi or lo alt. table?

You set the respected temp to make the total timing -15

-15 is the limit of negative timing you can do without XDF?s as far as I have seen on all of the 6.0.

So after you build your interruption switch for the EOT you figure out what temp the ECM is seeing and then you adjust tables at that point.

Tuner in Training
    Would it be better to do it as a timing cut like you described or a fuel cut like OP described?

My theory: you need fuel to make boost.. so if you cut fuel you loose boost.

If you reduce timing you build boost faster because you get the exhaust hotter. Turbos run off heat and pressure so lack of heat or pressure you have no turbo.

Once you reduce timing so far now your injecting the combustion process so now your manifold becomes the location wheee the fuel ignites. There for creating pressure and a lot of heat.

That is essentially how 2 step or Anti-lag works in a gasonline car and should work in a diesel as long as your manifold is at temp.

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the resistor i dont quite understand the theory of it. Also a part number to a resistor would be helpful.