Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: p3400

Tuner in Training

p3400

Does the p3400 which is titled Cylinder Deactivation System Bank1 also control Bank 2 ? Ive noticed in the OBD codes.com dtc list that there are some P codes that aren?t listed in the hp tuner list that are associated with the cylinder deactivation process..

For what application? Year/make/model/anything else relevant to ID/etc.

Senior Tuner
    I don't know why it's labeled like that. That's not a good description of the code.

What the P3400 code means

When starting or idling, and when the vehicle is operating under heavy loads, the engine will operate in V8 mode, using 8 cylinders. However, when driving conditions are light the engine will deactivate 4 of the 8 cylinders to change from V8 mode to V4 mode.

The powertrain control module (PCM) will determine what the vehicle driving conditions are using information it receives from the mass airflow (MAF) sensor, the intake control manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor, and the throttle position (TP) sensor.

The PCM will then instruct the cylinder deactivation solenoids to begin the cylinder deactivation process. The cylinder deactivation solenoids will deactivate cylinder 1, cylinder 4, cylinder 6, and cylinder 7, by restricting the flow of oil to the valve lifters for these cylinders, and preventing the intake valves and exhaust valves from opening. The vehicle cannot operate under V4 mode if these 3 sensors are not within the correct range.

When the PCM detects that the measured values of the mass airflow sensor, the throttle position sensor, and the intake control manifold absolute pressure sensor, are not within the predetermined range for V4 mode it will store the P3400 diagnostic trouble code.
    What causes the P3400 code?

Defective cylinder deactivation solenoid
    An open or short in the cylinder deactivation solenoid harness
    A bad electrical connection in the cylinder deactivation solenoid circuit
    Defective mass airflow sensor
    Defective throttle position sensor
    Defective intake control manifold absolute pressure sensor
    Defective lifters
    Restricted oil passages
    Low engine oil level
    Poor oil pressure on the lifters

Tuner in Training
    08 suburban ltz 5.3 lc9 rebuilt not stock except crank.. stage 2 tsp .030 cylinders w/ flat tops.

I have 3 laptops, 2 pads, 2 phones and can?t even post my tune read here,, imagine the traffic if that were possible..

Tuner in Training
    That?s my thoughts but mine were in a nutshell.. lol

Tuner in Training
    By the way i am a noob at this.. I did follow instructions from suggestions here as to the methods of the dod delete process. It says it?s deleted but i still have all the p3400?s codes, i?ve done the ses and no reports on what i *think is all the proper dtc codes that apply including *none on the camshaft.

Tuner in Training
    The reason i posted this was because, in another thread here a gentleman posted to also delete as ?further precautions? p3401,3404,3406,3407. Those weren?t in my dtc list to uncheck so i went lookin..

Tuner in Training
    That is the dtc codes i unchecked from ses and non reporting. Maybe the other codes are for other applications and wiring sequences for certain ecm?s.

It's all going to be a mystery until you can post a tune file. The DTC list in your file will have all of them even for vehicles with different RPOs for stuff your truck doesn't have... the items in the list are common to everything that shares that family of controller, differences to tailor the stock file to the as-built RPOs will be in which ones are enabled and what their setting criteria is. I find it hard to believe that a file from a 2008 truck - any kind of truck, since some version of every truck variant had at least one engine RPO that had AFM, afaik - doesn't have the cylinder deactivation codes in the list at all.

Tuner in Training
    I?ll try to get one posted if i have to go buy another laptop. Thanks for the help..

Tuner in Training

Current Tune

This is the current read on my 08 Chevy Suburban.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training

Saved Log

Logged channels

You still have the DOD master switch set to Enable, and P3400/3401/3425/3441/3449 active. You have to turn all that off and then write the file to the truck to turn off DOD.

Tuner in Training
    I’ll check it now

Tuner in Training

Second channel log

Throttle is hanging up around 2000 rpms.

Not a lot to go on there, especially without a logfile. Flash the previous file that didn't have the issue as a test.

Curious why the downstream O2 DTCs have been turned off but the O2 and catalyst tests left enabled.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, i’ll try tomorrow to do that.. The downstream O2’s aren’t on the pipes yet, maybe affecting it,didn’t search for any other catalyst codes, just non reported those to sift through the other dtcs. We’re still learning how to operate the platform and we are missing things,, it’s all new to me.

Tuner in Training
    Thats the original file,, back to square one.. geez

Tuner in Training

Back again new computer set up.. Drive log

Drive log today, something post build has changed with the 2nd gear upshift..