Thread: Cruise Timing

Cruise Timing

Got a question that i have searched for and cannot get a definitive answer on.

Cruise injector timing
    I understand everyone saying no more than 8-10 up top..Thats full boost and full rpm max fuel

What about just cruising down the road part throttle.

25-40 fuel vol
    5-8psi
    i see 1.7-3.5 timing.

but i have seen stock logs that see more than that in timing.

How much is to much at cruise?
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Tuner in Training
    id say about 11 is about too much at cruise when coolant temp starts rising in cruise id say that is too much. the secret is to find the happy spot

I am at 4* now.. fuel mileage as gotten a little better.. I have seen people say they see 8*

Not really trying to put to much CP in there and melt/crack a piston

Quote Originally Posted by projectlnf View Post
    I am at 4* now.. fuel mileage as gotten a little better.. I have seen people say they see 8*

Not really trying to put to much CP in there and melt/crack a piston
    So on a diesel you won't have crazy CP in the actual cruse area because you're using just enough fuel to keep you at speed. You subsequently have a lot of unburnt air flowing through the engine in the cruse area keeping piston temps low. You could advance until you lose power and then bring it back with no real concerns... as long as you don't overshoot it by a mile lol. Now getting into the higher fuel amount areas at low RPM burning all available air, well that's where you should pay more attention and not get too crazy. Don't be scared, it's not a gas engine with a low airflow volume and slow exhaust velocity in the cruse area!

Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    So on a diesel you won't have crazy CP in the actual cruse area because you're using just enough fuel to keep you at speed. You subsequently have a lot of unburnt air flowing through the engine in the cruse area keeping piston temps low. You could advance until you lose power and then bring it back with no real concerns... as long as you don't overshoot it by a mile lol. Now getting into the higher fuel amount areas at low RPM burning all available air, well that's where you should pay more attention and not get too crazy. Don't be scared, it's not a gas engine with a low airflow volume and slow exhaust velocity in the cruse area!
    Thank you! i actually bumped it up this afternoon! felt good! now if i can get my shift schedule and my TC release correct ill be golden.. I feel like i have to floor it to unlock TC and once it unlocks it never down shifts to 5th.. Any idea?

SOTF 4.0 shift schedule 6th stock trunction enabled 3.hpt
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags