Thread: Issues with AEM X-series wideband

Tuner in Training

Issues with AEM X-series wideband

Part number 30-0334 aem wideband with OBD Can integration. Was working great for logging with HpTuners without gettin the Pro feature then randomly car wouldn?t start, all gauges drop to zero, all the service warnings cycle through the display, U0073 CAN COMM code. Unplug AEM obd connector, erase code and it?s fine until I plug AEM back in. They sent me a new replacement gauge and harness, same issue. I can plug in HPtuners and my scan tool to the obd port with no issues. WTF??
    Last edited by C6maniac; 10-17-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I wired mine in directly with a bit of solder and heat shrink tubing. I dont like having things plugged into the OBD2 port all the time, especially 2 different devices. Ive had no issues with this, might be worth a try. Unless of course you're not looking for a permanent install. In that case, I'd terminate a second OBD2 port in a secondary location on the car for the wideband or HP tuners interface. Just my 2cents

Quote Originally Posted by C6maniac View Post
    Part number 30-0334 aem wideband with OBD Can integration. Was working great for logging with HpTuners without gettin the Pro feature then randomly car wouldn?t start, all gauges drop to zero, all the service warnings cycle through the display, U0076 CAN COMM code. Unplug AEM obd connector, erase code and it?s fine until I plug AEM back in. They sent me a new replacement gauge and harness, same issue. I can plug in HPtuners and my scan tool to the obd port with no issues. WTF??
    Try changing PID's first.

Advanced Tuner
    More likely, the ECU number.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    More likely, the ECU number.
    Can you elaborate?

Tuner in Training
    Just to be clear, the a/f displays on the gauge as it should. Only issue is when connecting to CAN with the obd connector. Instrument panel freaks out, throws U0073, amber security light comes on (car with the lock) and it keeps the car from cranking until unplugging the AEM obd connector. Again, it was all working fine for a cple months prior.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    To what? I never changed anything when this started happening.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by danmw2003 View Post
    I wired mine in directly with a bit of solder and heat shrink tubing. I dont like having things plugged into the OBD2 port all the time, especially 2 different devices. Ive had no issues with this, might be worth a try. Unless of course you're not looking for a permanent install. In that case, I'd terminate a second OBD2 port in a secondary location on the car for the wideband or HP tuners interface. Just my 2cents
    I can try hard wiring but don?t think it?ll change my issue. I tried a new obd connector harness from AEM with no change and my cars obd port pin fit is good.

Read page 5 in the AEM user's manual.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Read page 5 in the AEM user's manual.
    I?ll try cycling through all the ECM #?s now🤞🏻

Tuner in Training
    Went through all 7 ecm #?s, no change. Figured that wasn?t it since I?ve always used it on default 6 before with no issues.

Advanced Tuner
    A loose connection can cause the CAN buss to go into fits and will fault things out. My car does this occasionally when I bump the MPVI2 device or the extension I have, causes the car to not start, or if I do it while its running, it faults out the ABS, EPAS and traction control. Id solder it in IMO, or get the pins, hardshell and some wire to install a new OBD2 port somewhere else in the car. Its not likely the device, rather the connections to them. Bad or loose connections cause high resistance in circuits, not what you want on your CAN buss.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by danmw2003 View Post
    A loose connection can cause the CAN buss to go into fits and will fault things out. My car does this occasionally when I bump the MPVI2 device or the extension I have, causes the car to not start, or if I do it while its running, it faults out the ABS, EPAS and traction control. Id solder it in IMO, or get the pins, hardshell and some wire to install a new OBD2 port somewhere else in the car. Its not likely the device, rather the connections to them. Bad or loose connections cause high resistance in circuits, not what you want on your CAN buss.
    Soldered in behind the obd connector, no change.

Advanced Tuner
    Something is not right. The 30-0334 does not "transmit" unless it receives a specific request from the MVPI. So, connecting JUST the 30-0334, should do nothing.
    That is, it is inert, until addressed.

Just in case the harness is damaged ( shorted? ), try plugging in the harness, without the gauge.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    Something is not right. The 30-0334 does not "transmit" unless it receives a specific request from the MVPI. So, connecting JUST the 30-0334, should do nothing.
    That is, it is inert, until addressed.

Just in case the harness is damaged ( shorted? ), try plugging in the harness, without the gauge.
    Without being plugged into the gauge, it?s fine. Or I can have the gauge plugged in and disconnect the obd connector and it?s fine. Just not both🤷🏻*♂️. Its a new replacement gauge and harness. Unless I got another bum gauge, Im out of ideas.

Advanced Tuner
    Here is a trick. You can put the gauge into BOOTLOADER mode. In this mode, it will not make or respond to any traffic, on the CAN bus.

1. Turn the power off
    2. Hold down both buttons, on the gauge
    3. Turn the power on.

The gauge should show something like "L1.25" or something, like that. Depending on the firmware version, in the gauge.

If there is still a problem, starting, in this mode, it must be a hardware issue.