Thread: Knock advance exceeding max advance table

Advanced Tuner

Knock advance exceeding max advance table

Anybody ever run across the knock advance not stopping at the limits set forth in the max knock advance table? I even zerod out the entire knock advance max table and flashed-entire but still logging over 3 deg of knock advance.

Tuner
    Are you sure it's advance? On my car negative numbers are advance and positive are retard.

Advanced Tuner
    I am 100% positive it’s advancing. I know there is confusion around which pid shows negative or positive as advance, but you can tell this is advance by the even steps it takes as it ramps up, plus there are times where the knock correction tag goes negative. Even if the sign is backwards, I’m still getting + and - even with 0 for knock advance max.

Probably borderline adder like lambda modifier.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I am 100% positive it’s advancing. I know there is confusion around which pid shows negative or positive as advance, but you can tell this is advance by the even steps it takes as it ramps up, plus there are times where the knock correction tag goes negative. Even if the sign is backwards, I’m still getting + and - even with 0 for knock advance max.
    You're looking at knock retard right?
    Jonah A. Cunningham
    Cunningham Performance LLC
    Owner

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    or final spark advance?
    Jonah A. Cunningham
    Cunningham Performance LLC
    Owner

Advanced Tuner
    I’m talking about knock advance (ecm 44684), the amount of timing added if no knock is detected when spark source is “borderline”.

Advanced Tuner
    Sooo...the Ford timing algorithm, during warm steady-state and not during an SAI event, summed up:

MBT - First looked up in the MBT tables as a function of measured Mapped Point, load, and speed. Then, corrected using the lambda modifier table.

Borderline - First looked up in the Borderline tables as a function of measured Mapped Point, load, and speed. Then, corrected using learned octane, lambda, MCT, and ECT.

Cylinder Pressure - First looked up in the cylinder pressure table as a function of load and speed, then corrected using a lambda modifier.

Pre-ignition - First looked up in the pre-ignition table as a function of load and speed, then corrected using a lambda modifier.

Then, a low-select is performed when the above 4 sources are compared.

If knock is sensed, timing is retarded regardless of spark source.

If the source is Borderline and no knock is sensed, it advances timing up to the max knock advance lookup table. If at any time, the total advance exceeds any of the other 3 sources above, then it stops advancing (though the spark source doesn't reveal which of the other 3 stops the advancing).

If at any time the above yields a number lower than min final spark, then min final spark is used.

If at any time the above yields a number higher than the max final spark, then max final spark is used.

The issue I'm having is that it appears to be ignoring the max advance lookup table.

Tuning Addict
    Not sure if this is your problem or not, but all of my gt500 files have 8 rows for the knock advance limit table - is it possible that your just not seeing all of the rows? Also these tables are all 0 from factory and they still add timing, so is it possible it's just getting the timing added in from another source? I know it's typically the borderline knock main timing tables.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

I ran across a similar problem a few years ago, but at the time I chalked it up to something being handled differently in the Whipple tune. I made a thread about it here: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...etard-limiting