Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra LC9 left half tuned- now I'm on my own

Sierra LC9 left half tuned- now I'm on my own

Ok, short & sweet

2010 5.3 LC9 Sierra CC FF. Had lifter tic, rebuilt engine with TSP stage 3 216/220 .600" VVT cam, LS7 lifters, dual springs, CAI, long tube's.

My "tuner" kind of road tuned the truck, and flaked on the dyno portion. After a month and a half trying to find a new tuner within reach, I decided
    to figure it out my self.

The problem I have right now is that I am not sure that my current tune is "safe". I realize that learning to tune is going to take time, unfortunately this
    is my DD and only vehicle.

I am hoping someone has the time and willingness to look at my tune/log and let me know if it's ok to drive until I can complete the tune.
    I have started the VVE using LTFT. I ordered a 30-0334 AEM wideband that should be here the end of the week.

Thank you in advance.

PS I had to upload the log previous to this tune, my recent log is 13MB and would not upload.
    Again Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Not exactly sure why, but when I re-enabled the sensors, I seem to have lost any gains the VVE tweaking gave me. Feels sluggish and won't
    downshift into 2nd.

Senior Tuner
    the tune u posted is using blended maf/vve so u would need to fail the maf to tune vve properly, if u want to get fueling close u will have to adjust the maf table, also u should log STFT also not just the LTFT as ur using both, both 02 sensors, dynamic airflow, there is a decent amount of timing in it thru the mid which may cause issues so watch out for knock or put a stock timing table into it and start with that, cant see too much without logging more wideband will help

Thank you 07GTS

My wideband came a day early, hopefully get it in before the weekend.

I was following Goat Rope Garages' tutorial (at least I thought I was) for tuning VVE without wideband. I'll re-watch it and take better notes. It did cover both MAF & VVE. I will get on the MAF.

Thank You.

I'm back with WB and an issue (or 2). My MAF tune seemed to go well (of course, what do I know). So I jumped back to VVE tuning. It seems that my logs always leave the VVE table jagged. I smooth the transitions out then calculate Coefficients. Next run is the same. I'm thinking this is normal.?

What I don't think is normal is, as 07GTS pointed out, having Advance as high as 55. I'm not 100% sure where to look for adders that are set up incorrectly.

I did notice that no changes seem to have been made to the camshaft variables, for my TSP Stage 3 VVT cam.

Thanks for reading.

Tuner in Training
    zero injector temp tables out. it will often do crazy things after a reflash if im not mistaken since inj temp is a dreived number it will resort back to ect or something like that. worked for me anyway
    Work Hard, Do Right, Give Back

This is the easiest and fastest way to knock out both simultaneously. I did the 'separate' way on my 2010 LC9, and the way below on my 2011 6.2. So much less wash, rinse, and repeat.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ation-for-gen4
    Hawk

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
    zero injector temp tables out. it will often do crazy things after a reflash if im not mistaken since inj temp is a dreived number it will resort back to ect or something like that. worked for me anyway
    shouldnt be zeroed out that was the thought when the table was first found but it then causes lean start issues, the table needs to be adjusted properly to suit, its more so affected by larger injectors

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    shouldnt be zeroed out that was the thought when the table was first found but it then causes lean start issues, the table needs to be adjusted properly to suit, its more so affected by larger injectors
    X2 on that, it burned the electrodes off my plugs it was so lean after a few reflashes, I didn't have a wideband at the time, but thought my AEM was lying to me when I first installed it and did a flash....

Quote Originally Posted by HawkZ28 View Post
    This is the easiest and fastest way to knock out both simultaneously. I did the 'separate' way on my 2010 LC9, and the way below on my 2011 6.2. So much less wash, rinse, and repeat.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ation-for-gen4
    Yeah... Saturday morning after my second pot of coffee, I will take some time and see if I can understand that method. Right now it's beyond my HPT knowledge, and requires some learning time.

Thank you

Thanks everybody
    I don't think I've even seen the injector temp table.

Would someone look at these High Oct tables and tell me if I'm wrong. My table seems too different, I know that my Stage 3 cam changes things. The "stock" tune I got from the repository. I've dropped the 54-60 at the top, and I've added 2deg twice on the bottom. I was expecting to see some KR too.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    Quite a few trucks (maybe most) with this table zeroed out from the factory.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Correct, mine was zeroed from the factory. I found a table with populated data and used it. I did adjust it slightly until the reflash leanout issue went away.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SantafeNoob View Post
    Thanks everybody
    I don't think I've even seen the injector temp table.

Would someone look at these High Oct tables and tell me if I'm wrong. My table seems too different, I know that my Stage 3 cam changes things. The "stock" tune I got from the repository. I've dropped the 54-60 at the top, and I've added 2deg twice on the bottom. I was expecting to see some KR too.

Did you set the knock sensitivity back down to 120?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    i have herd that strange they do it on some but not others, also noticed my cruze im tuning now is zeroed from factory, im dialing it in when ever i do a hot start/flash as i can see its leaner under those startup conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull View Post
    Did you set the knock sensitivity back down to 120?
    Damn it, I went the wrong way. I must have had the wrong compare file open. I reset the tune and I'll flash it in the morning. I had dropped it to 170 previously.
    I'll log the drive to work in the morning.

Thanks, I might not have looked at that table for a while.

Ok, I got the knock sensors back to 120, still no Knock or KR.

I received the recommended cam table from TSP. It seems odd to me that a VVT cam would have so little in the table.
    The real question is why did my "tuner" put a spot of actuation where there was none, and change TSP's suggestion?

I ask because I really want to learn.

Thanks again, everyone.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SantafeNoob View Post
    I received the recommended cam table from TSP. It seems odd to me that a VVT cam would have so little in the table.
    The real question is why did my "tuner" put a spot of actuation where there was none, and change TSP's suggestion?
    Your tuner didn't do anything to that table (literally). It's as it came from the factory for the stock camshaft.

Out of curiosity, how much advance do they grind into that cam?
    Last edited by 68Formula; 10-29-2021 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
    Your tuner didn't do anything to that table (literally). It's as it came from the factory for the stock camshaft.

Out of curiosity, how much advance do they grind into that cam?
    You're right. How I didn't see that I don't know. I'll blame it on a long of setting block.

My only info TSP Stage 3 VVT Truck cam 216/220, .600"/.600", 112 LSA 106 ICL

Ok, now that "68Formula" pointed out that my low cam table is stock. Will I be losing any power if I swap TSP table?

When this table is referenced the cam is Retarded correct? So that will have an effect on my overall timing?

Also
    How can I take TSP's table, which is a text doc, and place it into HP Tuners table? Do I insert cell by cell?
    Thanks

Cut & Paste worked, who would have thought. At this rate I'll have this tuning thing licked, in a year.
    Last edited by SantafeNoob; 10-29-2021 at 09:30 PM.