Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPVI2 (and 2+) prolink and AEM CAN bus

Advanced Tuner

MPVI2 (and 2+) prolink and AEM CAN bus

Last week I had an issue with my mpvi2 with prolink and AEM 30-03xx widebands (tried a 30-0300 and 2 30-0310s to the same effect).

I had them wired correctly to the orange and yellow wires of my prolink, and this setup had been working for several months. I updated hptuners (I'm unsure of the version I came from but it was to the latest beta as of 10/07/2021) and suddenly I couldn't get the AEMs to speak to my prolink over canbus. I went ahead an put in a support ticket where we determined that it would be fastest to just upgrade my unit to the 2+ so I paid overnight shipping there, and for overnight shipping back (which ups failed to actually get to me overnight causing me to lose a couple of tune appointments). And when I get the 2+ in I have the exact same issue. 2 different pcs, 2 different hptuners, 3 different prolinks, 3 different aem widebands and all the same issue.

When wired via analog it seems to work perfectly. So long story short, anyone else having problems on versions of hpt (either stable or beta) since an update at least as of 10/7/2021 and using the can bus wiring on a prolink?

Advanced Tuner
    Anyone successfully (or unsuccessfully) doing this with a recent version?

Tuner
    I couldn’t get my aem can wideband to log over CAN today.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranked Automotive View Post
    I couldn’t get my aem can wideband to log over CAN today.
    Via the prolink? I was made to believe I was alone in this in my support ticket about it.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sevinn View Post
    Via the prolink? I was made to believe I was alone in this in my support ticket about it.
    Yes i connected the mvpi2 to the vehicles obd port, prolink orange to the pin on the aem obd2 connector for canH and yellow to canL and it wouldn’t communicate.

I also tried the other 2 communication protocol vircuits on the aem obd port with no luck.

Restarted vcm scanner, tried the beta (up to date as of last week).

I will check to see if im getting correct CAN voltages at the pins on the AEM obd2 pass through connector tomorrow and verify continuity from the aem’s 2 can circuits.

Tuner
    Resynced interface, confirmed aem can voltages are fluctuating @ 2.4 and 2.6.
    Changed AEM output from 500 to 250 kbaud.
    Still no CAN wideband.
    Can signal voltage flatlines when i connect the prolink to it.
    Any thoughts?

Advanced Tuner
    Personally I have no ideas. I have a ticket in about this and they said they were going to test with their unit. It worked and then it didn't for me. Exactly the same behavior.

Tuner
    Had The Same Problem Retuning A truck fofr a customer, 30 sereies aem with obd2 to can adapter that i bought from hp tuners usually has worked on cars with can bus supported ecms, Lately it has not worked and the option to repole for parameters is gone as well, Also I have the prolink Mpvi2 and analog inputs are working but its annoying to calibrate to make them read the same. I also have a question did you have the can inputs working via pro link with non canbus computers? if so i might try swapping inputs of aem units to pro link.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes it worked via can bus regardless of vehicle when it worked for me.

Advanced Tuner
    Is this something that has gone bad in a recent update to VCMScanner or the firmware in the MPVI2 ?

I had tested the CAN, via ProLink, with up to 4 AEM widebands, without issue. But, that was several months ago. I think I used 4.8.7

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    Is this something that has gone bad in a recent update to VCMScanner or the firmware in the MPVI2 ?

I had tested the CAN, via ProLink, with up to 4 AEM widebands, without issue. But, that was several months ago. I think I used 4.8.7
    Yes it seems so. I was using it up until I updated my beta on 10/07/2021. I didn't keep track of versions to and from. And admittedly I haven't tried it recently because I just assumed it wouldn't work.

Tuner
    have you tried the Beta version? I find myself using it more lately due to windows updates messing up the graphics protocol for 3d tables.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DB5249 View Post
    have you tried the Beta version? I find myself using it more lately due to windows updates messing up the graphics protocol for 3d tables.
    Yes, I've only used betas for going on 2 years now. Usually updated around weekly.

I?ve never gotten mine to work over canbus I?ve always had to use analog, I?d gave up on it long ago, tried again this summer still the same.

We're looking into this.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    We're looking into this.
    Thank you!

Tuner
    thank you for the hard work and dedication you guys have! If there is any way i can help let me know.

I just tested a brand new AEM 30-0300 on my desk using both AD and AEMnet CAN.

It works fine on both the MPVI2 with a ProLink and a MPVI2+ with a ProLink+.

What error/issue are you guys seeing?

Please note that the Pro Feature Set license is required to use a ProLink and ProLink+.

Ok, I've been told this is a bug in the current release firmware on the MPVI2+.

We hope to have the fix in the public firmware, later next week.

If you would like access to this firmware early, please email support regarding this bug and we can get you access.

Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    I just tested a brand new AEM 30-0300 on my desk using both AD and AEMnet CAN.

It works fine on both the MPVI2 with a ProLink and a MPVI2+ with a ProLink+.

What error/issue are you guys seeing?

Please note that the Pro Feature Set license is required to use a ProLink and ProLink+.

The channel would stay, but no input (blank data). I tried removing all pids to make sure it wasn't a polling rate thing. Swapped to analog and it was fine.

Tried another prolink with same issue, 2 other aem widebands (so 3 total) and issue persisted. I upgraded to mpvi2+ and prolink+ and same deal when I got it back in.

I have not tried this in a while (since after I tried upgrading my interface and it still didn't work), so I would have to set my stuff up again. My original ticket was 26083