Thread: Disabling VATS...am I doing something wrong???

Potential Tuner

Disabling VATS...am I doing something wrong???

I am attempting to disable the pain in the butt VATS system in my 1998 GMC Sierra. Followed the instructions (clicking on "disable" in the VATS column) but it is still "working" (if you call it that) and I had to go through the entire relearn process this morning. I have also double checked to ensure the correct parameter was changed and that is was loaded into the truck. Everything looks ok...am I missing something???

On a side note, I also disabled all my downstream O2 sensors since my cats have been removed. Over the course of a week or so, I would still get a CEL. It has now been 4 or 5 days now with no CELs...I'm stumped.

Last but not least, would someone be willing to look at my stock tune file and perhaps give me some pointers on how it looks or what I could improve on? I have read as many of the stickies I could, but just need a starting point.

Thanks guys!

Brody

What form of "Write" did you do?

Potential Tuner
    I believe I used the "write calibration".
    1998 GMC Sierra Z71 5.7 Vortec

Senior Tuner
    Write Calibration is all that is required on a 98 Black Box PCM. Are you getting a no crank or cranks then runs for a second or two then dies. If the latter (fuel enable) then that part of VATS can be disabled in the PCM. If no crank (starter enable) then turning off VATS in the PCM will not fix that.

Potential Tuner
    It cranks, starts for a second then dies.

I have noticed that when I turn the key to the on position, the security light comes on (NOT flashing) and if I wait for it to go out (usually 5 - 10 seconds) the truck fires up every time. This morning I didn't pay attention and attempted to start it right off the bat. That's when the security light began flashing and I then had to do the entire relearn process.

Everything I have read about VATS being disabled, is that the light may still come on but it shouldn't affect the starting of the truck.
    Last edited by Darkimag22; 10-18-2021 at 04:41 PM.
    1998 GMC Sierra Z71 5.7 Vortec

Senior Tuner
    And you are sure you are setting the VATS switch to disable, saving that file with a new name and flashing THAT file back to the vehicle? That is all that should be required. I usually set P1626 and P1631 to No Error Reported but I don't think that is absolutely necessary but it satisfies my OCD.

Potential Tuner
    If I have a chance to tomorrow I will double check but I'm confident it was done correctly. I have a bit of OCD when it comes to my dash lights being on, too. Drives me nuts.