Thread: 2012 CTS-V with cam, pulley headers, etc. Need more startup "flare"

2012 CTS-V with cam, pulley headers, etc. Need more startup "flare"

Here is another strange one. Always seem to be CTS-Vs.....

M6
    BTR 2 PDS cam
    14psi
    headers

The issue with it is, when it fires off it sometimes "hits", then dies some (never cuts off), then catches and idles like it should....1100-1000-900-800, 700. Customer has the car and has no issue with it, I am more-so wondering as I've never had one do this and I notice it. It also seems this car takes a while to learn the TB after every reflash it takes a couple restarts and some run time to get it working correctly(catching revs, etc) I have messed with startup airflow, cranking fuel, BAF, etc of course.

No good log. This was just the last one I saved...

Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Snowman1987; 10-19-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Tuner in Training
    hello contact me on
    [email protected]
    iwill send i file

Advanced Tuner
    Start up cranking and start up flare control should allow you to correct for an idle speed overshoot using spark during cranking and initial start up.

Do you have a log of that actual start up?

Tuner in Training JustinWhiteTuned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman1987 View Post
    Here is another strange one. Always seem to be CTS-Vs.....

M6
    BTR 2 PDS cam
    14psi
    headers

The issue with it is, when it fires off it sometimes "hits", then dies some (never cuts off), then catches and idles like it should....1100-1000-900-800, 700. Customer has the car and has no issue with it, I am more-so wondering as I've never had one do this and I notice it. It also seems this car takes a while to learn the TB after every reflash it takes a couple restarts and some run time to get it working correctly(catching revs, etc) I have messed with startup airflow, cranking fuel, BAF, etc of course.

No good log. This was just the last one I saved...

Thank you!
    spark on startup is very far from your issue unfortunately. not sure who tuned this, but if it was you, start with proper injector data, and fix all the timing tables that are chopped up, and at that point i believe you will be a ton closer to where you need to be.

Advanced Tuner
    Like Justinwhitetuned said, wtf is going on with your timing table? why is your timing in the .08 and .12 g rows about 20 degress lower than the .16g cell?? Also you have steep drop offs in the higher airmass regions. the timing should gradually ramp down not fall off of a cliff. This is a pic of the backside of the timing table btw. Both of your idle spark advance tables are jacked up too. I don't understand why they look like that
    timing jacked up.JPG
    Last edited by sgod1100; 10-28-2021 at 04:37 PM.

unfortunately I don't think he knows why either

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sgod1100 View Post
    Like Justinwhitetuned said, wtf is going on with your timing table? why is your timing in the .08 and .12 g rows about 20 degress lower than the .16g cell?? Also you have steep drop offs in the higher airmass regions. the timing should gradually ramp down not fall off of a cliff. This is a pic of the backside of the timing table btw. Both of your idle spark advance tables are jacked up too. I don't understand why they look like that
    timing jacked up.JPG
    I'm definitely no expert here compared to you gents, but I've seen those timing reductions in those upper rows used to create the burble tune. Not sure if that's why, but just my $.02. Cheers

even then, that's not near low enough, nor should it be around idle.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinWhiteTuned View Post
    even then, that's not near low enough, nor should it be around idle.
    Burble toon expert are ya > <

High octane table at those airmass values should be right at MBT. No reason not to. Low octane is higher than high in some spots...needs to all be redone.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
    Burble toon expert are ya > <

High octane table at those airmass values should be right at MBT. No reason not to. Low octane is higher than high in some spots...needs to all be redone.
    hey hey, ain't nothing wrong with a little crackle and fiya

Sorry for the delayed reply. The upper spark was done as he wanted it to drop quickly off of revs for idle. No matter what timing, BAF etc that was used did not allow it to drop like a rock and idle perfectly at 1100. Now it does. I agree you could smooth the timing, but in reality it will NEVER see .7ish airmass at 6k unless the belt breaks. So, when it goes into boost in falls directly to where it should be.

Burble tune you could put some - numbers in there for that!

Injectors were some Fast 85s, and they tune well with stockish data and adjusting for their IFR in what I've seen.

Thanks for the posts so far.

I will look for a startup log, not sure if I saved one yet or not