Thread: 6.0L timing calculator or math needed to tune for non-stock injectors?

Potential Tuner

6.0L timing calculator or math needed to tune for non-stock injectors?

Greetings,

I've been searching this forum but not coming up with anything. I'm trying to get started with HPTuners on my 6.0 but coming over from SCT. I'd thought I could use an SCT file as a model but that's not working well. I've got 175/30 injectors and a DIY Stage II charger but I definitely don't get the same results duplicating an SCT file. Not even close. I'm trying to understand enough of what's involved in calculating timing, pulse width, ICP etc to compensate for the injector differences and stay within the injection "window". The SCT tuner guys don't have the FICM capability - at least not within the SCT software (which I also have - and hate) and end up using "fudge factors" to get full fueling. Can someone point me to a starting point to do this correctly? I rebuilt the trans a year ago or so and went full billet so it "should" withstand any minor screw-ups but melting pistons and all the other stuff that can go wrong isn't so rugged. Yeah the motor's studded etc. but that'll only go so far. I'm trying to find a way to calculate the injector spill time vs piston location vs RPM vs torque demand but after about 2 weeks of searching, tinkering, logging - searching, tinkering, logging I'm not making a whole lot of progress - other than learning what does *NOT* work. Any resources, tips, pointers would be greatly appreciated. The Tuning School had a basic course for the SCT Advantage III software but I think the EPA stuff drove them out of the diesel game. As it was, I didn't find that particularly useful - not so much because of the course, but the Advantage III software. Lots of tunable set points with no description of what they did.

Many thanks in advance for any direction someone can give me.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioAD5GB View Post
    Greetings,

I've been searching this forum but not coming up with anything. I'm trying to get started with HPTuners on my 6.0 but coming over from SCT. I'd thought I could use an SCT file as a model but that's not working well. I've got 175/30 injectors and a DIY Stage II charger but I definitely don't get the same results duplicating an SCT file. Not even close. I'm trying to understand enough of what's involved in calculating timing, pulse width, ICP etc to compensate for the injector differences and stay within the injection "window". The SCT tuner guys don't have the FICM capability - at least not within the SCT software (which I also have - and hate) and end up using "fudge factors" to get full fueling. Can someone point me to a starting point to do this correctly? I rebuilt the trans a year ago or so and went full billet so it "should" withstand any minor screw-ups but melting pistons and all the other stuff that can go wrong isn't so rugged. Yeah the motor's studded etc. but that'll only go so far. I'm trying to find a way to calculate the injector spill time vs piston location vs RPM vs torque demand but after about 2 weeks of searching, tinkering, logging - searching, tinkering, logging I'm not making a whole lot of progress - other than learning what does *NOT* work. Any resources, tips, pointers would be greatly appreciated. The Tuning School had a basic course for the SCT Advantage III software but I think the EPA stuff drove them out of the diesel game. As it was, I didn't find that particularly useful - not so much because of the course, but the Advantage III software. Lots of tunable set points with no description of what they did.

Many thanks in advance for any direction someone can give me.
    I did somewhat of the same thing as you. Pay attention to what sct uses vs what HPT uses.

Example: boost table sct uses KPA and HPT might use PSI. What?s the one that got me! I took 15kpa and put it in hpt when HPT used PSI. Sorry if this doesn?t help but it was my experience.
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Also I have an injection timing calculator for 6.0 that shows injection window but you have to know the PW if you want it I can send it to you.

Potential Tuner
    This may be more helpful than you realize!! Thanks for that!!
    --
    RadioAD5GB

2006 6.0 F-250 FX4
    Studded, deleted
    WDI Premium 175/30s
    KC DIY Stage II turbocharger
    DIY full billet trans with many mods and enhancements
    Precision Industries 1600 RPM stall converter
    IPR remote oil cooler and coolant filtration system
    4" MBRP with "Quiet Tone" muffler.
    FASS Titanium 125G

Potential Tuner
    Also I have an injection timing calculator for 6.0 that shows injection window but you have to know the PW if you want it I can send it to you.
    Please do if you're willing. I know these things aren't exact but it'll get me closer than I'm getting right now.
    Last edited by RadioAD5GB; 10-19-2021 at 09:09 PM.
    --
    RadioAD5GB

2006 6.0 F-250 FX4
    Studded, deleted
    WDI Premium 175/30s
    FASS Titanium 125G

Can?t send it through my phone.. or I just can?t find it lol.. PM me with an email address.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by projectlnf View Post
    Can?t send it through my phone.. or I just can?t find it lol.. PM me with an email address.
    PM Sent. Thank you!
    --
    RadioAD5GB

2006 6.0 F-250 FX4
    Studded, deleted
    WDI Premium 175/30s
    FASS Titanium 125G