Thread: Minimaxx to Hptuner

Potential Tuner

Minimaxx to Hptuner

I have a 14 250 with the 6.7 that I just bought about a month ago. I tow a 14-15k lb 5th wheel all the time now. It had a tune on it before that was ok. Should have left alone but that?s not me. I got the minimaxx not realizing no support until later but got to monitor egts and I like the switch out of tow when not hitched. Wondering am I out of luck with it or can I get the hp tuner and pull the tune off and tweak to my liking then reflash. I realize I will prob lose the sotf but trying to figure out if I can still utilize it. Tinkering is a way of life.

Tuner in Training
    If it's like other ECMs flashed with tuners, when you download the minimax tune with the VCM Editor, it will result in a checksum error and you won't be able to do anything with the file.

You can return to stock and download your factory calibration as a base and copy and paste all the tables from the Maxx Calibration Control software. It will take a while and you have to learn the different EOMs, configs and Maps for fueling, timing, etc, between the two software packages, but it should work. I did this exact thing last weekend and aside from my turbo not fully cooperating, it worked. The issue being I did the 2015 turbo retrofit on my 13. At the same time, I imported settings from a 16 stock file and the VGT and boost settings are totally different.

Potential Tuner
    I didn?t realize the return to stock at first and I flashed it with minimaxx and a couple days later I turned the lbf down and flashed again without returning to stock did I lose the stock file or should it still be in there. Also did the mcc download but no def files to pull my tune into that?s why I was leaning to go towards hp.

Tuner in Training
    That's not an issue on the same platform.

I was able to read what I found out later was minimax tune with hpt no problem. Just plug in and do a read nothing to lose if it won?t read it. They sometimes mask the hardware profile as well but if you scroll down to the proper hardware it?ll read, at least on ?locked? sct files

Tuner in Training
    What if you run into checksum errors on said locked SCT files?? I was able to remove the trans section from the profile and it opened with just the engine tuning. Is there a way to get the trans section loaded again?
    Last edited by jetskier; 10-25-2021 at 11:01 PM.

Once I knew the pcm name/type I was able to click the drop down menu and find it in the exspansive listing and it read no problem, granted this was on 6.0 platform trucks. I wanted to save my 6.0 custom tunes to hp and be able to tweak some things. I didn?t get a checksum error once I was able to read. I?ve read the original tune from my 6.4 which was minimaxx and sct tow tune that?s canned straight from my unupdated live wire that I kept from my 6.0. I?ve been using that tune until I get someone to write me some custom tunes for my 6.4 it?s very smoky due to os injectors and the like currently. I drove the truck with the minimaxx tune at first and didn?t like the trans tune at all, plus I?ve seen more bad out of their hotter tunes than good. I?m not happy with the sct tunes either but I?m living with them. I know very little about the diesel side of things as I do mostly ls and ecotec stuff with a few fords and slopar gathered in. I haven?t licensed my truck yet as I?m not sure what platform I?ll be getting tunes wrote on.

Quote Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
    Once I knew the pcm name/type I was able to click the drop down menu and find it in the exspansive listing and it read no problem, granted this was on 6.0 platform trucks. I wanted to save my 6.0 custom tunes to hp and be able to tweak some things. I didn?t get a checksum error once I was able to read. I?ve read the original tune from my 6.4 which was minimaxx and sct tow tune that?s canned straight from my unupdated live wire that I kept from my 6.0. I?ve been using that tune until I get someone to write me some custom tunes for my 6.4 it?s very smoky due to os injectors and the like currently. I drove the truck with the minimaxx tune at first and didn?t like the trans tune at all, plus I?ve seen more bad out of their hotter tunes than good. I?m not happy with the sct tunes either but I?m living with them. I know very little about the diesel side of things as I do mostly ls and ecotec stuff with a few fords and slopar gathered in. I haven?t licensed my truck yet as I?m not sure what platform I?ll be getting tunes wrote on.
    Sometimes if you send the file to support they can fix the checksum error. Might not work with a modified file but it's worth a shop.

Tuner in Training
    I was able to get past the checksum error that occurred in the TCM section. I removed it from the profile so it was just the ECM. I then downloaded only my stock TCM calibration as a base file. I was able to use the template editor to view and import all the tables/values in the bad checksum TCM file to my stock base and then add it to my ECM working file. Now all is good and I'm making little changes to refine areas I didn't care for (i.e. excessive timing, lambda, fueling, etc.)

Potential Tuner
    I left my minimaxx on street tune turned the truck off unplugged it then read the truck with hp it pulled ecm and tcm in no check sum error. Not sure when you unplug does it defer to stock power. I have been looking through it and comparing to a stock 13 file and there are changes in it timing and little bit of fuel and such so I must have grabbed it. I started data logging and slowly changing things and flashed it. Next wondering if it will mess anything up to plug MM back in for the gauges just not adjust it.

Tuner in Training
    I recall it defaults to stock when you unplug it. The only difference I could see is the injection duration is increased at the top end between settings.
    Attached Images Attached Images