Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Wideband through EGR

Senior Tuner
    Yeah that makes sense...unfortunately though, I do have one...mine's a 2000 so it has EGR too...and I like my AC a lot...and I want the wideband to be permanent in the car.

I just bought the Standard version off of a friend. I am a complete newb...

Right now my 98 v6 Jimmy has a tune from pcmforless that comes with the S/C kit I have. I have removed the EGR system and it has been turned off in the PCM so I don't get EGR trouble codes.

Could I still use the EGR pin for a wideband A/F gauge? Or will the EGR have to be enabled? If so I get EGR codes right?

Sorry if I sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about...it's just that...well... I have no idea what I'm talking about yet.... I have still yet to even buy a laptop so I can use the software. I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to have to upgrade to pro or not.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 12sws27 View Post
    I just bought the Standard version off of a friend. I am a complete newb...

Right now my 98 v6 Jimmy has a tune from pcmforless that comes with the S/C kit I have. I have removed the EGR system and it has been turned off in the PCM so I don't get EGR trouble codes.

Could I still use the EGR pin for a wideband A/F gauge? Or will the EGR have to be enabled? If so I get EGR codes right?

Sorry if I sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about...it's just that...well... I have no idea what I'm talking about yet.... I have still yet to even buy a laptop so I can use the software. I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to have to upgrade to pro or not.
    Yes, you have to enable the EGR.
    2002 6.6 TR6060 ZO6 (520Whp)
    2014 Audi S7 (730whp)

Tuner in Training
    I know this thread is a little old, but the PCM i'm using is from a 2002 F-body which has no EGR. I would rather not use the A/C pin. Going by a schematic for a 2000 F-body (with EGR), I know that the wire for the +5V reference is BLU PIN 47. Can I enable EGR and still use that input for the WB?

Plan B is to use the BLU PIN 46 which is a +5V reference for the fuel tank pressure. I should be able to use it the same way besides changing the formula.

I've heard of guys using the pin onthe PCM and enabling EGR and it works fine. I don't know that the 5V reference is what you want though. You want the signal wire.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    Great, thanks.

How about the EGR position sensor ground... BLU PIN 41. The only other function is "EGR control"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I know this thread is a little old, but the PCM i'm using is from a 2002 F-body which has no EGR. I would rather not use the A/C pin. Going by a schematic for a 2000 F-body (with EGR), I know that the wire for the +5V reference is BLU PIN 47. Can I enable EGR and still use that input for the WB?

Plan B is to use the BLU PIN 46 which is a +5V reference for the fuel tank pressure. I should be able to use it the same way besides changing the formula.
    Yes, I too have a 2002 and used the EGR wire and enabled it thru the hot.

Cheers
    2002 6.6 TR6060 ZO6 (520Whp)
    2014 Audi S7 (730whp)

Senior Tuner
    Has anyone used this method successfully on anything newer than the LS1 without using the AC Pressure pin?

I had great success with this in the past on my LS1 car, but now I've got an LS3 Camaro SS with an E38 and I want to do something similar. I'd rather not use the AC pressure port, but I don't know if there are any spare inputs that I can use. The car apparently can read transmission temperature...unless the gauge in the console is just making things up, and I wouldn't really mind using that instead...think it'd work?

My reason is, I like to tune with the AC off and then on...I'm wicked anal about calibration, and I will go bananas if the AFR is slightly off when the AC compressor is working. The trans temp though, I don't really care about monitoring the temp of a TR6060 in a street car...I'd even consider finding a way to replace the face of that gauge in the console with AFR or lambda readings, and hide the wideband controller somewhere under the dash out of sight.
    Last edited by MikeOD; 04-14-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Funny you should say that because I was just wondering the same thing with my G8. I have a manual so I thought about using the CAGS solonoid but I think you need to monitor a variable output of 0 to 5V. Which your trans temp isn't either I expect.

Senior Tuner
    You need to monitor a sensor input. CAGS is just switched on or off by the computer, it's not an input, it's an output. Trans temp, as far as I know, is a 0-5 volt sensor input (5 volt reference out of the PCM goes to one side of most temp sensors, then the other side of the sensor goes to the input on the PCM, as resistance of the sensor changes with temp, the voltage the PCM see's goes up or down between 0 and 5 volts.

5 Liter Eater or someone else please help:

I'm using beta

I set up the AFR error and go to paste special-mult % over my VE table and nothing happens. To tune i've been bringing up ve-wb histo and my ve and just looking at both and working off that. I notice a small red asteric next to the number 7 in the top bar of the histogram window that I used for the afr error, maybe that's saying something is wrong?

Please take a look and see what I'm doing wrong.
    97 Nissan 240SX, 02 Camaro ECU, 2000 LS1 short block, T56, 3.54 gear, Duration 232 234, Lift: .595 .598, 112 LSA, AFR 205's 63cc, Head gaskets .40, LS6 MAF, FAST (92-92)

When you say "nothing happens" what do you mean? The VE numbers don't change or the AFR error doesnt' get better? Red asterix means that histogram has a filter on it. Nothing wrong.
    Bill Winters

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    When you say "nothing happens" what do you mean? The VE numbers don't change or the AFR error doesnt' get better? Red asterix means that histogram has a filter on it. Nothing wrong.
    The numbers don't change. It's strange though because it worked on my main computer but doesn't work on the laptop I use to tune. I will try and figure out what is different.
    97 Nissan 240SX, 02 Camaro ECU, 2000 LS1 short block, T56, 3.54 gear, Duration 232 234, Lift: .595 .598, 112 LSA, AFR 205's 63cc, Head gaskets .40, LS6 MAF, FAST (92-92)

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
    You need to monitor a sensor input. CAGS is just switched on or off by the computer, it's not an input, it's an output. Trans temp, as far as I know, is a 0-5 volt sensor input (5 volt reference out of the PCM goes to one side of most temp sensors, then the other side of the sensor goes to the input on the PCM, as resistance of the sensor changes with temp, the voltage the PCM see's goes up or down between 0 and 5 volts.
    I finally got my copy of the 2010 Camaro service manual...I was mistaken, the trans temp is not a 5 volt sensor, it's a typical 2 wire resistance to ground temp sensor.

Fuel tank pressure will work though. Pin 24 to the E38 ECM (at least in the Camaro) is sensor signal (hook the 0-5 volt wire to here) and pin 31 is the low reference. PID.6420 is the fuel tank pressure PID to use. Going to wire mine up and weld in another bung ASAP...I'm tired of my wideband being in the house and my Camaro not being as calibrated as I want it to be.

I think it's going to throw P0452 or P0453 (or both) and quite possibly some other codes when I'm using the wideband...but they'll be easy enough to disable while tuning (once I see which codes it sets) and re-enable after.

Senior Tuner
    Forgot to add...pin 24 is going to be "D-GN"...which I think means dark green...pin 31 will be "BN/WH"...brown with white stripe?

AC pressure sensor sounds a lot easier.
    Bill Winters

Senior Tuner
    Not if you want the AC on while you're driving around...plus it's nice to be able to make sure the AC torque settings are correct

I use the AC pressure to pipe the wide band signal into HPT and I tune with my AC on regularly. I have it on a toggle switch. Unless you have a problem with your AC then it should not build up excess pressure. I don't know of anyone who dicks with the AC torque settings.
    Bill Winters

Senior Tuner
    My LS3/TR6060 car has a noticeable difference in feel, specifically when shifting, with the AC on and off...which is why I intend to dial it in...but you are right, I should still be able to run the AC without issue, the car is practically brand new still.
    Last edited by MikeOD; 08-09-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    sorry to resurect this thread but i can seem to get mine working with this function
    ([PID. 2810]/.5)+10 ive also tried 9.8.

But its pin 47 for EGR position on a 2000 fbody right? i also have an aem uego Wideband

00' WS6 370/PT4788/TH400
    99' T/A N20